Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo magazines

Hi all. Questions what Photo Magazines do you read. I have to say I have always been a Pop Photo guy but over the past year have really taken a likeing to the ones that are coming out of UK. You guys have Digitial Camara, Gigital Photographer, Practical Photogrpahy. All these are lucky for me they all are carried by Barnes & Nobel. Unlucky is the $13.00USD each I have to pay. They all seem so much more geared towards the average photopgrapher. Meaning I feel I am reading info that is usefull to me and the best part a half to three quarters is not dedicated to advertising. So what about the rest of you. and anyone from the UK do you feel the same when you read US mags.

09-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well WE have D-Photo, a local one every 2 months, dedicated to digital photography. It's good, mainly for starters, like me, with a few reviews and a few "how-to's".

I also get delivered a FREE, yes free, monthly photography "newspaper", called "The Photographer's Mail". It's a glossy tabloid size thing which is similar to D-Photo but a bit lighter-weight and slightly more newsy, great for free though (did I mention it was free?)
09-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

IMO, US-based photo magazines aren't too great. Pratical Photography is pretty decent, but I really like Japanese magazines such as Digi-Came and Photo Technic.
09-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read Pop Photo. They often have good tips on photography, in particular I like Tim Fitzharris' tips on landscape photography. Their reviews are unbiased and professional. Herb Keppler's SLR column gives good insight and also often some histrorical background. The magazine has a lot of ads, but that helps keeps the price down.

09-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photo Magazines

Hi Ole:
I was handed a copy of the July issue of Pop photo and I must say there were some very good articles. I did like the magazine. I don't subscribe to any certain photo magazines since I go to my local book store for coffee and to see whats new on our favoriate subject (Photography) and can read the magazines and books right there and not have to buy any. (I'm saving for my K10D so I'm cheep) I love it when I can see all the new stuff and not have to wait for a magazine to arrive in the mail.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
09-20-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
cmv

If you get sick of going to the bookstore then you can pickup subscriptions to a number of photo magazines (well, at least pop photo) on eBay for cheap. I got a years subscription to Outdoor Photographer for $4 and a two year subscription to Pop. Photo for $10.
09-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
really I have to check that out.,

09-21-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photo Magazines

Ouch! Ok I went out to wal-mart tonight, and was waiting for my wife to get done touching everything in the store, and I bought a Shutter Bug Magazine. I needed something to read while I sat out side enjoying the cool evening, and watching all those pretty young ladies. Anyway this months addition had a very nice review on the Pentax k100D and alot of Photoshop tips on lighting and the use of the magic wond and a few other nice articles. I may subscribe to this one Seems like each time I get a chance to read an issue they always have great tips on how to use Photoshop to improve your PP skills.

Now you guys have me doing it. (LOL) :=))

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David