Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Aussie - sign up here too

Following Peter's thread Canada sign up, I think it is great to start one for Aussie too since there is quite a few of us around here.

I am James living in Melbourne Australia - Boxhill (the most multicultural suburb in the whole Victoria). Well travelled around Victoria and regular shoot out locally with a pentax group (which is unfortunately falling apart lol). An amateur photographer here, enjoying snapshots from time to time.

Always keen to visit northern Australia (the problem is getting there is more expensive than going overseas !)

02-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm in Melb also. Got my K10D for a recent northern holiday (the 1/2 lap... up the middle and around the west) as I wanted something better than the Mrs's P&S which mis-behaves occasionly (been dropped 3 times!) and didn't want to cart along the required rolls of film that I would have needed to use my Nikon 35mm gear, although I did take my Mamiya M645 for B&W and E6. The nature of a 'camping' touring holiday (21,000kms, so lots of driving) doesn't give you much time to wander around with several different cameras so the Mamiya didn't get much of a work out. The Pentax performed pretty well although I'm not happy with it's AF capabilty... it misses too many times, especially people pics. Contemplating a Katz-Eye screen as I'm used to a split-image focus aid in my Nikon gear. However, I've taken enough good ones that I know it's capable. The Pentax is really a travel and family snapshot camera for me as my true love is B&W. In addition to the Mamiya, I use 4x5" LF view camera when I manage to get it out and about... not very often!

I'm a member at Melb Camera Club but haven't been for about 2 years! I consider my subs to be a donation to one of the longest running photo clubs in the world. It's quite active and has some very informative nights. One day I'll get back to going regularly.

Nige.
02-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am in Bamaga- far far north Queensland. Anyone doing the Tip of Cape York trip has to come past my place so drop me a line if you are coming up this way.
I have been shooting Pentax for about 12 years and my folks have been shooting pentax for about 25yrs before that. Not that I'm brand focussed it's just that once you have the system available.... When I first started in digital with a Powershot A10 I used the Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 in reverse mode to get some nice macros. I enjoy macro work and landscapes but also get to do a bit of pj work for the local weekly newspaper.
02-12-2008, 04:41 AM   #4

Geelong, Victoria
But in Melbourne every weekday for work and often on weekends too.
MX & K10D

02-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #5

Cairns, Queensland.

Spend most of my personal photography time rock hopping around rainforest creeks, and some paid photographic work for my company, usually of resorts and prospective development sites. Nothing like taking photos leaning out the side of a helicopter or 20m up in a crane, and getting paid for it.

Started with a DS, moved to K100D, then K10D.
02-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #6

I'm in Perth, current studying Design & Technology teaching and starting to get back in to photography after about 15 years out.
I currently have a pair of MZ60's which were a cheap way to go full auto after playing with Minolta X300 for many years.
Cheers
02-14-2008, 04:01 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in Toowoomba, south east Qld, working as a junior doc, busy with a wife & 2 little ones at home.

I've only been more seriously at it (photography, that is) for about a year, when I bought a K100D. Very rarely get paid for it, but that's the way I like it...

Arjay, I've visited Bamaga twice for rural health stints in Dec 2004 and Dec 2005 - small enough town... I'm surprised we haven't crossed paths. Nice part of the country - has its issues, but well worth the visit, especially for the TSIs, and especially TI.

Moving onto K10D very soon...

02-14-2008, 04:28 AM   #8

In Melbourne and have had Pentax gear since the K1000 in the mid 80's.
currently use a istDs and excited about the upcoming 20D. Hopefully here soon and
i will be one of the first in line. My 6mp istDs has served me well but suddenly new
features and 14 beautiful mp's see me wanting to upgrade. The old manual K1000 kept
me happy for years, it is funny now in the digital era a camera two years old is a dinosaur!
Good to make the acquaintance of the other aussies.

I am a member of this site and have met some wonderful members on photographic
trips and while based in fitzroy, it now has members from all over the world and is a
tight knit and fun community.

Check it out.

Mark Higgins's Overview - RedBubble
02-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Forum Member

crikie - so many folks in or from melbourne...

well guess what - i pay rent in melbourne but have only been home for two days this year...
i think i live... on the road...

very new to the whole idea of a camera and LOVING it...

currentley in Alice Springs
02-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunnybank, a suburb on the south side of Brisbane. The K100D Super is my first DSLR. Bought 6 months ago.

Dan
02-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #11

Any of the Melbourne members here also in the Flickr Melbourne group?
02-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pw-pix Quote
Any of the Melbourne members here also in the Flickr Melbourne group?
Is there a flickr group as well? Interesting. Will pop in to have a look
02-14-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
Forum Member

Hi from Adelaide

Hi there my name is Adrian I live in Mount barker in the the Adelaide Hills 30min drive from Adelaide CBD. 1st camera I had was a Ricoh Super 2 SLR 35mm. Banged up now still works though. I think it is the K MOUNT that is holding it together LOL. My 1st DSLR was the K100D. I have a thing for K mount cameras! Just ordered the K10D. Wife wasn't happy! Spending to much on camera gear! But I then said she can have the K100d if no one wants to buy it. So we both can shot K mount style LOL. And not fight over the camera (just the lenes). As we both enjoy photography! Going out in the Adelaide Hills with our 4 year old daughter and with a pentex is so much fun
02-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Is there a flickr group as well? Interesting. Will pop in to have a look
Roentarre,
the Flickr Mebourne group has quite a few Pentax users, good mix of digi and film users.
Nice bunch of people. It's a good active group, with monthly meets.
02-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #15

Hi Guys,

another Melbourne Pentax user here - I live in Cranbourne and am a huge fan of vintage photography. I am using a K100D Super which is a long way from my first camera - the Kodak Instamatic 100 ...lol

Cheers
Keith