Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #1

Monitor Calibration - Please Help!

I am extremely confused right now regarding calibrating my monitor and would really appreciate anyone's help in making things a little clearer...

I recently processed a few photos from my home PC. I calibrate my monitor about once a month with the Spyder2express. I PP'd the photos, checked them over (they looked good on my monitor) and then loaded them up to my website.

A few days later I was viewing them from my work PC and was surprised to see left over eraser marks, marks from layer masks, etc. I received comments from others that they also could see the PP marks in the photos.

I went home and discovered that my RGB settings on my monitor were set with values of R=89%, G=90%, B=89%. My monitor also has some pre-set default settings (9300K, 6500K or 5500K). I discovered that if I set my monitor to one of these default settings that I could then view the same PP marks that I could see from my work PC. I set the value to 6500K.

I then thought that maybe my Spyder was faulty so I attempted to run a test by manually cranking up the G value to 100% and lowering the R & B values to 3%on my monitor. I then ran thru the calibration process with the Spyder exepecting that the RGB values would be correclty adjusted after calibration. When the calibration was done, I checked the RGB values on my monitor which still displayed G=100%, R&B=3%. The Green color cast still existed after calibration.

I then put the monitor RGB value back to the 6500K preset just prior to my calibration test. When I did this I noticed that there was indeed color differences in photos viewed prior to my "high green" calibration test.

I'm obvously missing something here and am struggling with trying to understand the relationship between my monitor's manual RGB settings and how those settings are manipulated by my calibration tool (Spyder).

Am I completely off-base here? Could I have a faulty Spyder? I'd really appreciate any help - this is driving me a little crazy.

Thanks much in advance for any helpful replies.......

03-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #2

Do I understand correctly that you tweaked settings on your monitor (and I mean here using the buttons directly on your monitor) and then tried to get them back to normal by using calibration ?
That doesn't work, as the calibration only changes the signal that goes from the graphics card to monitor. The calibrator has no control over monitor settings. I am no expert, and I think you should consult your calibrator manual for that, but IMHO the monitor settings (again I mean the settings that you can change by physically pressing buttons on your monitor) should be set to some neutral setting that looks OK even without calibration. The calibration changes the video signal in a way that tries to compensate monitor inaccuracies, but it has limits.
Changing monitor settings very much off from normal creates a case just like when you would shoot a picture through a filter that eliminates most of lets say blue color, and then you would try to crank the blue channel up in post processing. It wont work beyond some point.
03-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Similiar Problem

Camper,

I had a similiar problem last fall... I had posted some pics and thought I had processed them but then it turned that my calibration was off and everyone could see where I "fixed" the picture... because there was a huge black blob.. UGH>>>>> It was very embarrassing and wouldnt wish that feeling on anybody...

Here is the link to that thread...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/15474-need-opinions.html

The picture I refer to is the third one in the series.. Then toward the bottom Mike Cash sent me this wonderful link that saved me!!!! (Thanks again Mike!!) His reply is #10 on the thread. It shows a link to a free calibration program..

I have used that program since and haven't had any problems. When I think I may have the problem, I just pull up that pic and if I see the blob then I know I need to re calibrate it again and if I dont then I am ok...

I hope this helps.. Kim
03-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by procyon Quote
Do I understand correctly that you tweaked settings on your monitor (and I mean here using the buttons directly on your monitor) and then tried to get them back to normal by using calibration ?
That doesn't work, as the calibration only changes the signal that goes from the graphics card to monitor. The calibrator has no control over monitor settings. I am no expert, and I think you should consult your calibrator manual for that, but IMHO the monitor settings (again I mean the settings that you can change by physically pressing buttons on your monitor) should be set to some neutral setting that looks OK even without calibration. The calibration changes the video signal in a way that tries to compensate monitor inaccuracies, but it has limits.
Changing monitor settings very much off from normal creates a case just like when you would shoot a picture through a filter that eliminates most of lets say blue color, and then you would try to crank the blue channel up in post processing. It wont work beyond some point.
Thanks much taking the time to reply. Appreciate it.

Since I posted my original message I've had an "ah-ha" moment. I found a bit of info. in the knowledgebase of the Spyder manufacturer's website that said for the most recently updated version of the Spyder2Express calibration software, you need to set the native whitepoint of your monitor to 6500K. Since I had always used the much cooler temp of the native whitepoint, I think that's what was throwing my original calibration off. That bit of info. and a few other pieces from the knowledgebase made me understand a little bit better what exactly is going on during the calibration process. Can you tell I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to monitor calibrating?

I guess what I was trying to do is test my Spyder to see if it's actually functioning correctly. This part I'm still not sure on. At the end of the calibration process there is an image that you are allowed to toggle back and forth to see the difference before calibration and after calibration. I've never seen any differences in toggling this image. ??

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

03-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
Camper,

I had a similiar problem last fall... I had posted some pics and thought I had processed them but then it turned that my calibration was off and everyone could see where I "fixed" the picture... because there was a huge black blob.. UGH>>>>> It was very embarrassing and wouldnt wish that feeling on anybody...

Here is the link to that thread...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/15474-need-opinions.html

The picture I refer to is the third one in the series.. Then toward the bottom Mike Cash sent me this wonderful link that saved me!!!! (Thanks again Mike!!) His reply is #10 on the thread. It shows a link to a free calibration program..

I have used that program since and haven't had any problems. When I think I may have the problem, I just pull up that pic and if I see the blob then I know I need to re calibrate it again and if I dont then I am ok...

I hope this helps.. Kim
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've checked out the link and will store this one away for future reference. Very appreciated.