Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Precision Camera in Enfield CT & My K10 repairs update

So I asked https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/26484-anyone-used-precisi...r-repairs.html if anyone could tell me about this shops work. I wanted to use Precision for repairs of my K10 that included https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/25770-help-540-...-vacation.html and a rear dial issue. I wanted to give you all an update and kind of keep you posted in case you decided to use this shop as well. I dropped off the camera & flash on 05/07/08 before leaving on a 4 day trip. I was told at drop off it should take 3-5 days. I asked that they email me with an update if they thought it would be longer or with details on the repair. I also typed a detailed sheet with issues I was having including what I think is a slight BF issue and an overall cleaning as it rolled the 10K mark. They have a check status thing on their website which I used and should status In Repair. So my trip came and went and I decided to check in with them yesterday. I went to their online chat thing and had this conversation with the person. This is transcript. I changed the name from the chat person to PC for Precision Camera

info: Please wait for a site operator to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'PC'
PC: Hi Patrick! It will be just a moment while I look up your repair information.
Patrick: no problem
PC: We would like to ship your camera to the factory for repair in an effort to speed the turn around time.
PC: We are having trouble obtaining parts which the factory will receive before we do. The turn around time is 3-5 business days.
Patrick: Okay, so it has already shipped or will be shipped to the factory? curious what parts if you can give me more details?
Patrick: Oh and will they send directly back to me?
PC: We are waiting for your approval/refusal to send the camera to the factory.
PC: I apologize, I do not have any information on what parts needed to be ordered.
Patrick: Oh, okay can I assume there is no additional charges?
PC: No, there will not be.
PC: Sometimes, the when the unit arrives at the factory, they determine they need to order additional parts. If this is the case, the cost may increase. You will be contacted if there is an increase in the estimate before any work is done.
Patrick: Okay, yes you have my approval. Will it go to Pentax in Colorado? and will it make it out the door today?
Patrick: Sorry was typing when you read. I understand
PC: I do not know if it will go out today, but I will request it be sent out as soon as possible.
PC: No problem!
Patrick: Okay, now that is resolved I just wonder why they had not called or emialed me before I contacted you here. Just want to make sure this does not take longer then it has to and want to make sure they have the correct contact info to speed it up
PC: I do apologize. Our technicians just requested the unit be sent to the factory and we were waiting on your approval/refusal.
Patrick: I understand that part but the question was they would have had to wait forever had I not contacted you today. I am not mad or heated just making a point
Patrick: ohhh you mean today they just requested it and I would have recieved it today?
PC: Someone would have contacted you within the next few days )
Patrick: Okay so to recap they will try and send out today ( please let them know that would be appreciated) or tomorrow to Pentax. Then with any luck be shipped back by the end of the week or early next week. Someone will contact if further repairs then allready paid for. They will ship it back directly to my house or to Enfield and I will need to pick up?
PC: Perfect! The camera will be shipped back to us and as so on as it is available for pick up, one of our representatives will contact you.
Patrick: Okay cool. I may check back in at the end of the week if that is not to much of a hassle.
Patrick: Thanks for you help

So I am a little annoyed with the fact I was not contacted a little sooner but I can live with that. Also the time I thought I would save buy using this shop located about a half an hour from my house is shot since it will go across the country anyway and I would have done that before I left for my trip.

I am mad that I will not have it here for this weekend’s gathering I have planned with some folks. But the DS will do just fine I am sure. On the other hand I am a little more comfortable with the fact it will go to Pentax and they may find something this shop may have missed or will have a better set of eyes on the camera. It is out of warranty and my payout so far is $236.00 . I will keep you posted if at all interested as the week progresses.

Sadly missing my K10

05-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OMG I just got and email and may be over reacting but the email said it will be 3-5 weeks The chat I had as you see above said 3-5 days. I will let you know what is correct.
05-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
INSERT BIG CRYING MAD/SAD FACE!!!! They responded and said they made a mistake it is 3-5 weeks.
05-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Did you consider sending it directly to Pentax Colorado? They fixed my K10D (warranty repair) in just about two weeks.

I take it you thought Precision could fix it in house quicker than Pentax could (and not have to deal with shipping back and forth) ?

Good luck! It sucks not having a camera. I was without my K10D for a couple of weeks and it was a sad time....

05-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Egordon - My thought exactly was they could fix it here and with them about a half an hour from my house I felt confident I would have it with in 6 or 7 days tops. They believe they are sending it to Pentax Colorado. The only good thing so far is it was sent yesturday. I emailed them back and asked for more details on why it has to go there. Thanks for crying with me
05-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Day 9 without my K10 last night my son had a reptile show at school I so missed the SR on the K10 and and more annoyed that I forgot spare batteries for the Sigma flash. Only able to get a few shots as I was to distraught

I recieved email again from Precision and the girl that I have been email said agian sorry she said 3-5 days instead of 3-5 weeks.

Planned our first gathering of shooters in the area for this weekend about three or four months ago. Now the K10 will be far, far away but alas the *istds is still alive and working.

Okay, that is enough b*&ching for this morning.

Stay tuned there will be more as the weeks pass.
05-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I know how you feel. My K100D is at the repair center in IL right now. I got an email telling me inspection will take a couple days then got another email saying that the repair work could take 2-4 weeks... sigh

05-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I say we start a support group
05-16-2008, 06:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great idea! Maybe even a telethon!

<Puts on Tuxedo>

Yes... if you wish to help your fellow Pentaxians deal with dreaded CWS (Camera Withdrawal Syndrome) please donate your extra DSLR bodies. Your thoughful contribution will allow a Pentaxian to once again contribute to the creative community. Operators are standing by....

queues "What The World Needs Now Is Love" by Burt Bacharach

05-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I sincerely hope you are not having withdrawal symptoms.
05-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am and it is no fun. I found my self holding the grip for the k10 in my hand seeing it if would fit on the ds. LOLOLOL man this sucks
01-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Stay tuned there will be more as the weeks pass.
Patrick, I know this thread is old but I am curious how the repair turned out. I am contemplating going through Precision Camera to repair my Kx and needless to say, it is past warranty and functioning quite poorly due to a couple drops.

Did you receive your K10 in the time they specified? Also, were you charged any additional fees for parts?

Thanks!
01-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did and thought somewhere there was a wrap up of this thread. Aside from taking longer than I had hoped they did get it back to me. Actually if I think about they technically didn't work on it Pentax Colorado did.