Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mark-up on cameras?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I watched a whole whack of brand new K20D's being auctioned off by ProDigital 2000 over the past week or so. Here's an example:

NEW PENTAX K20D 14.6MP DIGITAL SLR BODY NEW IN BOX - eBay (item 140274336857 end time Oct-13-08 12:21:06 PDT)

If they can sell them for as little as $610. and pay eBay ands PayPal fees, what are they actually paying for these cameras?

There have been at least TEN sold for less than $700.00 and another bunch just over $700.

These are not gray market cameras or refurbs. and have full 1 YR International warranty, so how can they sell these at these prices unless they have paid only $500. or so for them?

Are cameras marked up a lot more than I used to think - 10-20% only?

Ideas?

10-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
I watched a whole whack of brand new K20D's being auctioned off by ProDigital 2000 over the past week or so. Here's an example:

NEW PENTAX K20D 14.6MP DIGITAL SLR BODY NEW IN BOX - eBay (item 140274336857 end time Oct-13-08 12:21:06 PDT)

If they can sell them for as little as $610. and pay eBay ands PayPal fees, what are they actually paying for these cameras?

There have been at least TEN sold for less than $700.00 and another bunch just over $700.

These are not gray market cameras or refurbs. and have full 1 YR International warranty, so how can they sell these at these prices unless they have paid only $500. or so for them?

Ideas?
Don't believe the markup on cameras is that much (10-20%). Most likely they won't be selling Pentax in the future, so they are trying to recover what they can by selling them on eBay. This is what is happining in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
10-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've been watching the price drop on K20D too

I've been watching the prodigital2000 ebay K20D offers too. They have 12 offers, in 4 listings where you can make an offer. And these have free usa insured delivery. I've considered offering $650 US dollars to see if they'd accept it. But this year I bought heavily into eos system and I am supposed to sell my pentax goodies to recoup funds. But these K20D offers have given me more to think about.

Pentax K10D made it to about 1/2 original launch and now revised $999 launch price on K20D would take these down to $500 or so. First launched at $1300 they are now selling with delivery at 1/2 issue. I always liked the fact that if you wait 9 months or so you could get Pentax best dslr for 1/2 price. Now they are making a low end dslr I wonder if the top tier will drop by 1/2 in less than a year in the future?

For me my eos move was for full frame and big viewfinder and a real 70-200mm 2.8 desires. I am completely satisfied with the eos add-ons and my manual focus capture is perfect with full size viewfinder and without having to chimp and shoot and chimp and ect... So this new shooting experience alone will likely make me pass on K20D and then cash out of all my pentax lens and assessories.

BUT, then again for $500 plus delivery I'd really kick myself for not getting a K20D just for the hands on experience with the glass I've owned for a few years now. It's tough buying and then keeping more than one brand of overlapping equiptment.

Pentax is unlike Canon and nikon in that grey market items are warranty'd in USA for USA time of 1 year. One would have to send it to canada to get additional 2nd year support.

Everyweek another 14 or more k20D are finding new homes via prodigital2000. I highly doubt this means they are not going to continue with pentax. Instead they seem to be pentax second highest volume dealer, after B&H.

Ideas?
10-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If the past is anything to go by, Prodigital will not drop Pentax, they are one of the biggest seller around eBay for Pentax gear.

What you people forget is that Progidital is a CANADIAN store, and our dollar went down 20% compared to the USD because of your financial crisis. So Prodigital is still making a similar profit as before, when put in Canadian dollars.

They are usually the cheapest Pentax retailer around, and apparently intend to remain thus.

10-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Because you ask...

Pentax awards diferent levels of rebate to different dealers, basically based on turnover they make with them. This holds true for Germany and Pentax Europe, at least.

If you think this thru, this will shake out all dealers with any significant margin out of the online business and leaving only 1-2 major Pentax online dealers per country. Which is ok, I guess.