This one is my favourite:

01-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #1097
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Mate !
She's a good corner that one
Pete
looks like I swang on the saturation slider in the other one

Last edited by Transit; 01-05-2010 at 02:40 PM.
01-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #1098
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if there is a Pentax AF540 flash available to hire in the Wellington region? I have hired a AF360 flash from WPS before, would much prefer the 540..
01-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #1099
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Enough with Pentax dedication. I made the switch to Canon. Really good product!

Regarding flashes that is.

Got some off-camera flashes to go with my Cactus V4. It's a lot of fun. Got some good result with mixing indoor flash with outdoor lighting already. But once you get into artificial lighting there is a whole string of things to get as well: diffuser, beauty-dish, umbrellas, stands... But luckily DIY goes a long way. Successfully used a cereal box as a snoot already.

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Does anyone know if there is a Pentax AF540 flash available to hire in the Wellington region?
Do you need a dedicated flash? My most dedicated one is a Centon FG105D which supports a lot of automation, swivels and bounces, should have about the same guide number as the AF540, but it is a TTL flash so there is no automatic exposure on a post *ist Pentax DSLR.

All my other flashes are non-dedicated flashes intended for off-camera use. One of them is an auto-flash so supports a bit of automatic exposure but that's nothing like P-TTL support.

EDIT: Just in case it wasn't obvious: I'd be happy to help out with my gear if you think it would do the job.

Last edited by Class A; 01-06-2010 at 01:52 AM.
01-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #1100
Veteran Member

Yeah the most annoying thing about the 360 is that lack of swivel. Really need an auto dedicated one, last resort I'll hire the WPS 360 again
01-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #1101
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Really need an auto dedicated one, last resort I'll hire the WPS 360 again
The chances of success might be dim but you could also ask the Wellington Photographic Society whether any member has a AF540 and would be happy to lend it to you. I know of at least one K20D shooter (he gave a presentation about shooting wildlife, unfortunately his name is not in the 2009 programme).
01-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #1102
Veteran Member

Yeah that's not a bad idea.

On another note, I'm reconsidering the whole move-to-Nikon thing. Somewhat forced to by my bank account. Did have dreams of a D700, which isn't going to happen (not yet, anyway). But then also looking at the D300 or D300s, that's going to add up to a lot of money, even with Sigma lenses.

Now I'm thinking it might be smarter to pick up a K-7 in the near future, and reconsider a move to Nikon a bit further down the line. It's not much of a trade-off compared to a D300s anyway (although I wouldn't mind better AF). I shoot RAW so the high ISO noise issue is pretty much mute.

The only annoying thing would be if, having just got the K-7, Pentax released some variation of a K-x sensor in a K-7 body...

01-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #1103
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now I'm thinking it might be smarter to pick up a K-7 in the near future, and reconsider a move to Nikon a bit further down the line. It's not much of a trade-off compared to a D300s anyway (although I wouldn't mind better AF).
Regarding AF the K-7 is reported to be pretty close to the D300. Maybe not quite regarding continuous focus, but have a look at Falk Lumo's test.

I believe that the Nikon D300 might have less noise even in the RAW at high ISO settings but to the best of my knowledge the K-7 is fine up until ISO 1600 and beyond any NR software can achieve pretty much the same noiseless but also detailless images as other cameras deliver them right away from the camera. Dpreview has the K20D as the RAW noise king (least noise) now, which cannot be the whole truth, AFAIC, but it shows that depending on how you measure, the K20D/K-7 are not noise monsters at all.

The only annoying thing would be if, having just got the K-7, Pentax released some variation of a K-x sensor in a K-7 body...
Given that Pentax has the 645D on their plate and that a lot smells like a future Pentax FF in the not too distant future I find it hard to believe that a K-7 (or K20D) successor is around the corner. If it comes, I would bet my bottom dollar it won't have "just" 10MP like the K-x. It will have to keep up the MPs and thus will have to use another sensor.

Anyhow, it will take quite some time for a K-7/K20D successor to come down in price from the typically high initial selling price. I wouldn't buy it for that premium, if I were you. So if you want a current body that doesn't have that "introduction premium" the K-7 will probably your best bet for quite a while to come.

If you want to sell it at some stage, I'll take it for a song.
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #1104
Veteran Member

Yeah, the more I've read about the K-7, the more it's 'failings' compared to other APS-C cameras actually seem to be results comparable with other big names, D300S, 7D, whilst being quite a lot cheaper and priced more between D300S and D90. Plus the big advantages in things like weather sealing. I think AF may well be slightly behind, but the AF-S matters more for me, and again is probably comparable.

I think that instead of paying more to switch systems for a comparable camera, I'm planning to pick up a K-7 and Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5.
Later on we can see how Pentax goes in the FF stakes.

I also don't think there is another new flagship body in the near future. The K-7 is still pretty new and competes with the Canon/Nikon models fine. Maybe later in the year, or 2011.

Will definitely have the K10D for sale. Good condition, three batteries. Neck strap. Maybe a 16GB Class 6 SD HC card in there as well. Will be on here first.

Planning to get K-7 by mid-Feb. Interestingly, there's none on trade me now...
01-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #1105
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm planning to pick up a K-7 and Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5.
I've got my eye set on of these Sigma 10-20s as well. Any particular reason you are going for the constant f/3.5 version? The older and cheaper f4-5.6 is probably fast enough for most applications. The newer has got more aperture blades and an odd number of them which some prefer in order to get many sun star streak when shooting into the sun with a small aperture.

Will definitely have the K10D for sale.
Great camera but if I ever step up from the K100D I think I want more of a quantum leap of a difference.

Planning to get K-7 by mid-Feb. Interestingly, there's none on trade me now...
I used to see them as well for good prices. You'll have to ask yourself "What's an manufacturer-warranty's worth" and shop accordingly...
01-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #1106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I've got my eye set on of these Sigma 10-20s as well. Any particular reason you are going for the constant f/3.5 version? The older and cheaper f4-5.6 is probably fast enough for most applications.
I'd be prepared to pay more for a f/2.8 if they had one. I've found with my Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 I'm shooting a lot at open or close to open. This is for street photography (or similar photojournalism-ish stuff), which is also the main reason I want the 10-20. I've been shooting more in pretty average light, inside, or even night, and I think I might regret not having f/3.5 when I need it.

Hopefully the much improved higher ISO performance and capability of the K-7 will also help. Not to mention autofocus, the 24-60 is pretty good at f/2.8, but if the focus misses the shot is stuffed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A:
Great camera but if I ever step up from the K100D I think I want more of a quantum leap of a difference.
I'd agree, the K10D will probably go to a first-time DSLR buyer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A:
I used to see them as well for good prices. You'll have to ask yourself "What's an manufacturer-warranty's worth" and shop accordingly...
A new body and lens will be stretching my budget a bit, I'm thinking electron-world.com, but I will get prices for the Sigma from C R Kennedy first.
01-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #1107
Veteran Member

Just a quick note about a lens I just came across on trade me:

Pentax-FA 50mm f2.8 macro for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

You can't beat those optics at that price. It's also true macro, so maybe not a great standard lens due to the focus throw, but seems tough to beat in other ways.
01-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #1108
Pentaxian

yes its the third time they have listed it.
Been working on getting it for under $400
Pete
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #1109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
yes its the third time they have listed it.
Been working on getting it for under $400
Pete
Think you're out of luck with the 50 and the 28!
01-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #1110
Pentaxian

maybe...
« GR x GIN Social | - »