Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think Pentax USA need a new president?
Yes.   The results are hidden0%
No.   The results are hidden0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Time for a new president?

C'mon panaleica instead Pentax? WTF? Now i know why many things aren't happening. Don't forget to cast your vote.

Last edited by vitalsax; 01-27-2009 at 06:59 PM.
01-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #2

I'm all for someone who can objectively appreciate the innovation and use of other products. I'm glad to know that people at Pentax realize how great other cameras are. If anything, I hope it provides some support for a LX3 sort of camera from pentax.

But, it probably won't affect anything and its not a big deal. Seriously though, why would it even bother you for a split second? I don't pledge allegiance to my camera because for all practical purposes any other DSLR would probably provide results that are indistinguishable from others. If anything, I'd doubt the man if he posted a series of poor shots because I don't like to be bored by uninspired photography.

I didn't vote in the poll because even posing the question is absurd.
01-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by touchmyichi Quote
I'm all for someone who can objectively appreciate the innovation and use of other products. I'm glad to know that people at Pentax realize how great other cameras are. If anything, I hope it provides some support for a LX3 sort of camera from pentax.

But, it probably won't affect anything and its not a big deal. Seriously though, why would it even bother you for a split second? I don't pledge allegiance to my camera because for all practical purposes any other DSLR would probably provide results that are indistinguishable from others. If anything, I'd doubt the man if he posted a series of poor shots because I don't like to be bored by uninspired photography.

hear hear!
01-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very silly. Pentax isn't even making anything in the LX-3's niche, or Leica's, for that matter. If they decide to, it'd be a grand idea for the marketing guy to be really familiar with such a kind of item, though.

Pentax's marketing slogan isn't, 'If we don't make it, you don't need it, brand-traitors,'

01-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, cut the guy some slack. If a guy works for Porsche, does that mean that he can't buy a Ford F-150 and tell the world that he loves his truck?

Steve

(The big question is why Pentax does not compete in this space...)
01-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What he said...

QuoteOriginally posted by touchmyichi Quote

Ditto...
Lets move on people..
01-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

good gawd...further evidence that anyone with a computer and an idiotic idea can post on the interwebs.

I know. I am living proof.

I have posted on other threads pertaining to this. I see his comments as more up side than down. I want an enthusiast at the helm, not a clueless company shill who can't acknowledge what other companies do well (Steve Ballmer, anyone?).

Can we send this thread to the cornfields? (extra points for recognizing that reference)

01-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I work as a designer in a company where we build and sell things. The teams I work with take alot of pride in the work we do and the products we make.

In the market we are in, we are one of the top builders in the world.

If our president went out and bought from the competition because the product we make was not good enough for him, I would be royaly F***ing pissed. If he then went and lauded the product in his blog... well, that would be less then inspireing.

Ned's message is simple. He has just let the world know that he is a photographer first, and the leader of Pentax USA second. And Pentax does not make a compact camera worth his money.

Personally, I had no idea that the P&S's from Pani/Leica were that much of a class above that others. Now I know that if I want a serious P&S, then I had better look anywhere but Pentax.

As for understanding and knowing your competator's product, yes you need to do that. I would expect that he should have first hand experience with all of the other brands. But you do not blog about it. He could have bought a rangfinder, that would still let him send his "I'm a photographer too" message, and the camera would clearly NOT be in a class that Pentax competes in. But then that would beg the question, "what, a DSLR isn't good enough for you?"

I'd been pondering his actions for the last day. And I think Ned made a mistake. I know many people will not agree with me. That's fine. But do me a favor, and imagine if his blog was posted on the wall in the lunch room at the Optio plant. Do you think it would inspire the people working, or would it piss them off.
01-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
But do me a favor, and imagine if his blog was posted on the wall in the lunch room at the Optio plant. Do you think it would inspire the people working, or would it piss them off.
If I worked there and I was just there for the paycheck putting out crappy work, it would be one thing. If I worked there and wanted to compete with the camera he blogged about but the higher ups were there for the paycheck and just stayed the course making so so cameras, I'd be frustrated. Maybe Ned is frustrated with Pentax, he knows more than us, maybe he's trying to light a fire under the big guys saying "HEY, we're not cutting it in this market, do something!"
01-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
But do me a favor, and imagine if his blog was posted on the wall in the lunch room at the Optio plant. Do you think it would inspire the people working, or would it piss them off.
Probably both. There also are cultural issues at play here, questions of "face" and differences between east and west. In addition the soft power of the interwebs rears its head as well. One could argue that good leaders inspire both pride and anger.

I think there are different ways he could have done this but he didn't. Is it a mistake? Maybe. Is a brilliant end-around? Maybe. I guess we'll see. I could easily see there being a quiet notice about a change in management at Pentax USA a month from now. But I doubt it. If this did indeed step on toes at the home offices, acting out against him would just compound the issue. But in the end it doesn't matter much either way. Like all interweb conspiracies great and small, this one will eventually fizzle away...

And the bottom line is that my cameras will still be taking great pictures either way.
01-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
you'll only see this happen with Pentax. why?

u'll never see a nikon president nor canon posting things like this, wanna know why? bcuz they're gonna be fired if they do seems like pentax is lacking professionalism even from the top. This guy is a good guy but sucks as a photographer and i don't see him keeping his job for so long. btw why he's only post over dp forums?
01-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
snip...Maybe Ned is frustrated with Pentax, he knows more than us, maybe he's trying to light a fire under the big guys saying "HEY, we're not cutting it in this market, do something!"
He might also be an evil genius and has set in motion a briliant and dibolical viral marketing plan to get Leica users (niche product users) to take notice of Pentax. (I'm not being sarcastic here, I really do wonder this)

It might be expected that a Leica user may be more likely to have camera kits that include multiple brands, and multiple camera types.

His message might be to the Leica folks, "hey look at us!", and not to us Pentax users.

And, I agree with you, he might have been sending a message to Pentax Japan about a market slice they are not looking at.

But in the end, his message, and motive is not clear. We are left speculating, with "maybe's" and "might's". So I still think his actions were wrong.
01-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
snip... But in the end it doesn't matter much either way. Like all interweb conspiracies great and small, this one will eventually fizzle away...

And the bottom line is that my cameras will still be taking great pictures either way.
Maybe what Ned now needs to do is leak something that we will see at PMA?

And with something for us talk about, we will all forget about Ned's indiscretions on his blog.

Maybe a 18 MP photo and a rumor about 5 FPS APS-H sensor or somthing, and we will all forget this even happened.

01-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Time for a new president?
No.

As "an avid photographer", he bought a camera happened to be Leica (even though he could have bought a Panasonic equivalent) to take pictures and accompany his existing Pentax gears. That's totally acceptable to me.

Last edited by comet4; 01-27-2009 at 10:18 PM.
01-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #15

A new prez could spend his time more wizely by blogging the k-m with the new *55, for example; After all, he 's pentax head saleman , and a lot of people (hopefully) want to know if the *55 is worth 800bux.