Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

I bent my Wookiee!

I think I feel like Ralph Wiggum did. I dropped my K20D, about 3 feet onto concrete.

I am able to joke about it a little bit, though, because everything appears functional. Nary a scratch on the Sigma 24-60mm attached to the front (thank you, lens hood!). The rig still takes good pictures.

The damage appears to be limited to the corner and side where it impacted. The bottom corner near the battery door is crushed in, and the grip edge where the plastic meets the rubber has broken off. Both the battery door and the SD card door still work.

So there are some sharp edges, certainly -- but again, it works. I wouldn't vouch for the moisture resistance at this point though!

But overall, I'm impressed. THAT'S SOME SOLID BUILD QUALITY, PENTAX.

Now, to get it fixed . . .

I have a three-year extended service plan that covers impact damage, but it's from a third party. But if it's not going to cost too much, I'd rather have it done by Pentax.

Has anyone had plastic body damage repaired, and if so, would you share how much it was, and how long it took? I don't have a backup body, so I'll be reliant on my little P&S while it's gone.

03-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know why you wouldn't take advantage of using the extended warranty that you probably paid for already. I bet Pentax will charge a pretty penney to fix it. I am sorry for your accident and hope you get it fixed back up to you liking rapidly.
03-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just make sure that the third party insurance covers work done by a Pentax certified repair center.

Any work done on your Pentax by an unauthorized vendor will likely void your factory warranty.
03-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Damn Brit

That's a bummer, I hope you get it fixed ok. Is there any possibility that the damage might be such that you actually get a replacement?

I don't think dropping the camera can be considered as technique.
Moved to Everything Else.