Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Monopods...worth it?

Quite simply, those of you who have one or have used one...are they worth the investment, small or large? Does it really add that much more stability or do you feel it offers nothing you cant equal with a steady hand?

Comments?

Jason

06-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

They are useful without a doubt. They'll ad a stop or so of shutter speed to your usable range, and make a good walking stick while hiking.
As with all camera supports, decide what your comfort range is regarding price and add 100% to get to a support that is decent. (I'm only being semi serious here, but it's not a good idea to buy the least expensive).
06-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
YJD
Veteran Member

It depends of what lens you will use with it.
I tried a monopod with my Sigma 70-300 and it was useless. But with smaller lens it might work good enough.
I shouldn't say that but get a cheap one form a general store and give it a try. If not happy bring it back.
06-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No where near the stability of a tripod. If you are shooting HDR or EnFuse multiple shots, you will still have to align them. It is definitely better than handheld, but at the cost of awkwardness. It can get in the way in crowds almost as much as a tripod. It can also trip you up if you are not careful. It adds weight. You can use it with a quick mount, but it can be a handful mounting and unmounting, which presents its own problems.

In a museum, or other venue, that doesn't allow tripods you will appreciate the added stability (especially if you can wedge it up against something stable). The answer is yes and no. It can be a help and a hindrance. I am at current experimenting with a small tripod for use as a chestpod instead of my monopod.

06-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worth it? Absolutely! I gain quite a bit of steadiness with mine compared to handholding. It's not as good as a tripod, but certainly better than I can do without it. I've used mine with 18-55 kit lens, a couple of old manual lenses, and my low-end Promaster 70-300 zoom, shooting everything from landscapes to sunsets to college band concerts to college graduations to college night football games.

One big advantage of a monopod is that you can use it many places where you can't use a tripod (football stadiums, graduations, concerts), and it is compact enough to take along as carry-on when flying. Having a monopod with you when you travel beats having nothing with you!

Jim
06-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did find a monopod useful using my DA*300, with 1.4 TC, to photograph a rowing event. However, I did also see a guy using a full-size tripod, as a monopod! (only one leg extended)

I like the Bogen/Manfrotto monopod, which only cost about $45, and quite sturdy. (Sorry don't recall the model.) But it's only three sections, not the most compact when collapsed, and so if I were to buy one again, I'd try to find a 4- or 5-section type that is more compact when collapsed, just my two cents.
Paul
06-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
I like the Bogen/Manfrotto monopod, which only cost about $45, and quite sturdy. (Sorry don't recall the model.) But it's only three sections, not the most compact when collapsed, and so if I were to buy one again, I'd try to find a 4- or 5-section type that is more compact when collapsed, just my two cents.
Paul

I like my old Bogen monopod as well.

Last edited by jem; 08-23-2009 at 08:13 AM.
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jem

Your photo really says it all.

It is not as much about holding the lens steady, but simply just holding it.

while they might give an extra stop for hand holding, they do take up all of the weight holding.

This is why for example YJD thought it was useless, because his lens was hand-holdable already
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Ari
Veteran Member

They are. I've used them in the past and have been very happy with the results. Look, though, for a tripod-monopod combo (more bang for the buck). My brother bought one - I'll have to find out the brand and pricing.
06-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you can only imagine them used in the traditional way, you may not find them appealing or see a need for one. They're useful in other ways, though:

1. Walking stick
2. Use with self-timer to shoot from angles you can't get into position for (high, low, over/around obstacles, etc)
3. Self-portraits (held out in front of you, with monopod out of frame)
4. Off-camera flash holder
5. Poking, jabbing, or pointing at objects
6. Etc Etc Etc

It is a mistake to think of them merely as a poor man's substitute for a tripod.
06-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a way to avoid tripod use...monopod probably won't make you as happy as you'd like.

For grab-shots (the graduation example is timely) and sports events a monopod can be quite helpful.

For scenic and landscape shots at lowest possible ISO/tiny aperture for depth of field and therefore very long shutter speeds--half second through several seconds you'll find the monopod not too satisfying.

So if the attitude behind the purchase is "how to not use a tripod"--bad idea. If the attitude is to create a bridge between hand-held and tripod situations, then the monopod can be a great bridge!

I also use an older Bogen and I added an Arca-style quick release to the top ala Really Right Stuff so my lenses with collars can be added quickly.
06-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a Bogan 680b a few years ago to use with a hearty pro-sumer video camera. I thought about selling it because it was rather large and heavy to use with my k100, but with my k10 and 300mm Tak it works great.

I still prefer to use a tripod when I can, though.

And sometimes I will use a monopod as a walking staff. Might as well.
06-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Depends on where you usually need extra stability, if it is in places where a tripod is not allowed, or is not ractical, then a monopod is a good compromise solution. Think of places like crowded areas, museums, tight spots (espeically those that require creative and/or precarious positioning). Also, if you need to move around fairly quickly, like covering an event, a monopod could give you more flexibility than tripod.

Make sure you get one allows you to switch between portraint and panoramic mode easily. Otherwise, constantly taking it on/off for that purpose will get very frustrating fast.
06-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
I shouldn't say that but get a cheap one form a general store and give it a try. If not happy bring it back.

No, it will have been used. It will be yours to keep.

I used one where I was sitting in the bleachers for long periods of time. It was a nice perch for the K20D plus 55-300. Other than holding up the weight, I'm not sure it did all that much for stability.

I would be more inclined to at least carry a monopod around, unlike a tripod.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-01-2009 at 08:14 PM.
06-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very useful, even with lighter gear. I will use a monopod with K10D and DA 50-200 in lower light, in case I want to do a landscape extraction while wanting to staying at ISO 100 - 200.

Normally I use it the most when I wish to be mobile with the FA* 300/2.8, but that's not normally "lighter gear"... Seriously, it's just used to hold up the lens - I'm using both hands (and my face) to dampening everything when shooting. The image clarity using this technique even at very low shutter speeds has proven to be incredibly good/successful.

Regards,
Marc