Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

Tripods - reliability of flip locks vs twist lock

I am trying to choose a tripod + ball head from among the numerous choices out there. Among other considerations, I have a question about the reliability of flip locks versus the twist locks.

I had a bad experience with a cheap Amvona tripd (twist lock on one leg is broken) but perhaps that was because it was a cheap one and my experience may not be representative. I have a monopod with flip locks and I am finding the flip locks more convenient to use.

Looking for more informed views on the durability of one type of locking over the other - for example, how do twist locks handle water/fine dust etc ?

Best wishes,

07-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There would be good and poor quality varieties of each head type available.
I've been pleased with my Manfrotto flip lock ballhead, which is very well built and easily supports my K20D+grip+DA* 16-50.
07-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
UNless the tripod specifically mentions water and dust resistance, I would suspect that flip locks would be more reliable in dusty and wet conditions. The good thing is that many of the moderately priced to all of the high priced tripods with twist locks all have water and dust seals. I have used both and find that the twist locks are faster to deploy than flip locks as most can be turned with a single handed twist. At least my monopod and travel triposd are that way. My big indoor tripod has one section too many and requires two twists as all the locks do not fit in my hand at the same time.

I have used my monopod in dusty and wet environments with no ill effects on the locking mechanism.
07-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
jem

I agree with Ash - there are both good and poor versions of each. Quality really counts here regardless of leg lock type.

I have an older Bogen 3021 tripod and a Bogen monopod (both with flip-locks) that have never given me a bit of grief reliability-wise in over 15 years of use. My only complaint is that they tend to snag things when I'm toting them around.

I also have a Giottos MT 9371 and a Gitzo GT5541LS with twist-locks - both of which function well. The Gitzo in particular is very nice to deal with. Obviously I don't have the amount of mileage on either that I have with the Bogens but they do seem well built.

Edit: I use all of the above outside in the wilds of the wonderful sandy and swampy Gulf Coast of Florida with no problems.

Last edited by jem; 07-06-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Additional info
07-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
I agree with Ash - there are both good and poor versions of each. Quality really counts here regardless of leg lock type.

I have an older Bogen 3021 tripod and a Bogen monopod (both with flip-locks) that have never given me a bit of grief reliability-wise in over 15 years of use. My only complaint is that they tend to snag things when I'm toting them around.

I also have a Giottos MT 9371 and a Gitzo GT5541LS with twist-locks - both of which function well. The Gitzo in particular is very nice to deal with. Obviously I don't have the amount of mileage on either that I have with the Bogens but they do seem well built.

Edit: I use all of the above outside in the wilds of the wonderful sandy and swampy Gulf Coast of Florida with no problems.
I should hope the Gitzo GT5541LS is very nice to deal with. $949 on Amazon!
Amazon.com: Gitzo GT5541LS Series 5 Long 6X Carbon Fiber 4-Section Systematic Tripod with G-Lcok - Replaces GT5540LS: Camera & Photo
07-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
VAV

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies so far!

I should mention that the reason the twist lock on my Amvona tripod broke was that someone I lent the tripod to, turned the lock the wrong way until the section was totally removed from the tripod. I suppose the Gitzos/Giottos have some mechanism in place to prevent someone from twisting the locks too far the wrong way ?
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
I bought it to support this:

The Gitzo is a bit cheaper and a lot lighter than the QuickSet I was using.

Last edited by jem; 08-23-2009 at 08:13 AM.
07-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by VAV Quote
I should mention that the reason the twist lock on my Amvona tripod broke was that someone I lent the tripod to, turned the lock the wrong way until the section was totally removed from the tripod. I suppose the Gitzos/Giottos have some mechanism in place to prevent someone from twisting the locks too far the wrong way ?
I just checked both - they will screw off (and back on) so they technically are not operator error proof. In all honesty, it never occurred to me to even try screwing them off. I am a bit surprised that it would break your tripod.
07-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Someone said on this thread that the twist locks were faster than the flip locks. I'm not sure about that. It is true that most good twist locks are designed so that in the stowed position, that one hand will grip most of them and loosen them at the same time, but when the legs are deployed they each have to be twisted individually.

I spent something over an hour in some store trying out mostly twist lock tripods and one flip locks design. I ended up with the Manfrotto Flip lock, because of cost and height suited me more, but at the time, i wanted the twist lock.

After using the flip locks for 6 months now, in mud sometimes, i'm delighted with them. One feature i really like about them, is you can visually look at all leg locks and tell from the cursory look whether they are locked or not from the position of the lever. You can't do that with twist lock. I was in one store where the sales person noticed that the tripod was sagging off to one side. She had to try more than a few twist locks to find the one that was loose.

BEware of any flip lock design where the flip lock tension clamp is not designed to be adjustable by the owner. Cheap plastic flip locks are typically not adjustable. Obviously Manfrotto locks are designed to be adjustable.
07-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Someone said on this thread that the twist locks were faster than the flip locks. I'm not sure about that. It is true that most good twist locks are designed so that in the stowed position, that one hand will grip most of them and loosen them at the same time, but when the legs are deployed they each have to be twisted individually.
I was the one that said that, and I think I specified when deploying the tripod it can be faster, I think putting thelegs up are no slower than flip locks but it certainly isn't faster either.

QuoteQuote:
After using the flip locks for 6 months now, in mud sometimes, i'm delighted with them. One feature i really like about them, is you can visually look at all leg locks and tell from the cursory look whether they are locked or not from the position of the lever. You can't do that with twist lock.
Really a non issue with practice.
07-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
I just checked both - they will screw off (and back on) so they technically are not operator error proof. In all honesty, it never occurred to me to even try screwing them off. I am a bit surprised that it would break your tripod.
My Benro twist lock tripod is designed so that you can unscrew the locks completely and take the sections apart for cleaning and maintenance; I think that it's the same with the Giotzos/Giottos and other twist lock tripods. Mind you, you have to turn and turn and turn and turn to undo it, so it's pretty hard to accidentally turn it so that the leg section and lock falls off.

I think that with practice, both flip lock and twist lock tripods are similar in regards to the time it takes to set them up and put away. If you're used to flip locks, then of course, using twist locks will take you longer, and vice versa.
07-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am trying to choose a tripod + ball head from among the numerous choices out there. Among other considerations, I have a question about the reliability of flip locks versus the twist locks.

I had a bad experience with a cheap Amvona tripd (twist lock on one leg is broken) but perhaps that was because it was a cheap one and my experience may not be representative. I have a monopod with flip locks and I am finding the flip locks more convenient to use.

Looking for more informed views on the durability of one type of locking over the other - for example, how do twist locks handle water/fine dust etc ?

Best wishes,
On my Manfrottos the twist lock for the legs works reliably and never ever broke. You can even adjust the locking tension, if it gets a bit loose over time. I really did not like the twist locks on my old (very old...) Slick Master Pro, because they are very hard to turn and you get bruises on your hand, as the twist lock rings are coarsely machined metall things. On a Gitzo it is much better and quite useful, indeed... So, in general, I don't think, there is a difference in performance and reliability between twist locks and flip locks, as long as they are made by a quality manufacturer.

Ben
07-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
My Benro twist lock tripod is designed so that you can unscrew the locks completely and take the sections apart for cleaning and maintenance; I think that it's the same with the Giotzos/Giottos and other twist lock tripods. Mind you, you have to turn and turn and turn and turn to undo it, so it's pretty hard to accidentally turn it so that the leg section and lock falls off.
Which Benro tripod do you use? I'm thinking about buying a tripod and these seem terrific value.
07-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Thanks, we learn something new every day, did not realize I could disasemble my Benro for cleaning or maintenece.

Appreciated, Wal'
07-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tried and used both. and als broken both types, but here goes

Toggle locks work great for a while but do, over time have a tendancy to slip due to wear.

twost locks usually don't have this problem.

Both can fail if hit, but toggle locks seem to be more prone to getting hit, or hocked on things.

twist locks that are plastic, can split, metal are better.

Toggle locks are quick, twist locks take more time.

My impression is that toggle locks were associated (at one time) with cheap and amature, and twist locks were associated with "professional" but I think they bave both improved since then.