Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Warning about some Manfrotto monopods

I had a Manfrotto 681B monopod. It suited me well except it was a bit short. I used it for sport photos during winter, so it got very wet. I would always leave it out extended to dry and never had a problem with it.

I then found a 334B on sale, it was taller than the 681B, so I bought the 334B and sold the 681B. The 334 has the trigger type handle at the top, squeeze the trigger to extend or contract the monopod. I used the new one for about half a winter, it experienced exactly the same conditions as the previous 681B, and I treated it the same when wet. But then it started playing up and would only stay up if fully extended, which is even a bit tall for me. If I put it down a bit, it would then collapse right down with the weight of the camera. I returned the 334B, and some weeks later was told that it had rusted inside the trigger mechanism. The rest of it was fine, but it was useless overall.

I have now had to buy the expensive carbon-fibre 694CX as the only one I could find that was sturdy enough, tall enough, and had lever locks (as opposed to twist locks which I don't like). It's great - light, short when collapsed, and tall when extended.

So just a warning - do not buy a handle-trigger type monopod if it may get wet.

08-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yuri Arcurs has the same problem with a different model monopod.

Episode 4 – Essential gear, my monopod | Yuri Arcurs
08-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, I've always disliked twist locks as well
08-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I read through this article yesterday (am looking at gitzo tripods), it is about tripods but I think the same applies to monopods as well.

Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

I was also PMing another member about tripods, he quoted to me (I think it was a quote, I'm quoting anyways!) A good camera body will last 2-3 years, a good lens 5-10 years, a good tripod will last a lifetime (considering gitzo's lifetime warranty, I'm guessing that is where the line originated, haha).

08-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And a bad monopod will last 7 months..
08-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a 680B Manfrotto. Every so often depending on use I have to tighten the locks up so they grip properly. The monopod came with a plastic key to make his adjustment.

Not sure if this was your problem Arpe but did you try tightening up the locks on the 334B?
08-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I was also PMing another member about tripods, he quoted to me (I think it was a quote, I'm quoting anyways!) A good camera body will last 2-3 years, a good lens 5-10 years, a good tripod will last a lifetime (considering gitzo's lifetime warranty, I'm guessing that is where the line originated, haha).
what are you doing to your equipment?

08-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
what are you doing to your equipment?
Er, uh, huh? My tripod is junk (amvona, though the accompanying ballhead which I use manfrotto RC4 plates with is quite good). in reference to PMing? private message; nothing dirty related to camera equipment, I assure you!
08-08-2009, 02:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I have a 680B Manfrotto. Every so often depending on use I have to tighten the locks up so they grip properly. The monopod came with a plastic key to make his adjustment.

Not sure if this was your problem Arpe but did you try tightening up the locks on the 334B?
The trigger mechanism was rusted and stuffed, it didn't have the traditional twist or lever locks. It went back to the shop and I was told that it was stuffed. You can see it here. It was great when it did work.
08-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I see Arpe.

That model obviously can not manually tighten the locks as it doesn't have what I was talking about.