Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My "perfect" solution to hiking with camera gear

As en enthusiast hiker, I have long been looking for a photographer's hiking backpack. Many manufacturers sell camera backpacks with varied features. However, as many hikers will tell you, a backpack needs to be selected with care, and not all backpacks will suit every person. What's more, camera backpacks rarely offer features that hikers find useful, such as a hydration pouch, waist and chest support, extra-strong zippers and so forth.

Because of this, I much prefer to select a backpack in an outdoors sports store instead of in a camera store. I found a backpack that I love, and can't see why I should pay more than a hundred dollars for a dedicated camera bag that's not designed as well. This bag (like most hiking bags) has a pocket for a hydration pouch, the side pockets can hold my tripod, it has many smaller pockets which can hold accessories, it is weatherproof but lets air circulate, in short it's perfect... except that it obviously does not protect the photo gear. So after finding the perfect backpack for me, I now had to find an insert that matches it. Now an easy task, since not many manufacturers sell inserts without a bag. I finally decided on the "Domke digital SLR camera insert". It is the insert that best matches common 35 or 40 liters backpacks. I must confess that I was close to making an insert myself, but I prefer to have someone else doing the sewing for me

The Domke is 8 inches tall, which is just the right size for most DSLRs and lens combos (placed vertically). It has two square (3x3 inches) divisions, perfect for regular-sized lenses, and two small rectangular divisions (about 3x1,5 inches), which can hold smaller lenses, flashes, or accessories. The main division is shaped like a T, so the camera and lens can be placed either versitally or horizontally. The insert is flexible enough that it will adapt itself to the shape of your gear. It occupies about half the size of my backpack, leaving room for other things, like a jacket, food, etc. I can also attach a small P&S camera bag to my hip, and use it to store one extra lens that I might use often (no need to remove the bag to swap lenses that way).

The sides or the insert are very well padded, and the padding can be removed or replaced if needed. The internal divisions are more lightly padded but offer sufficient protection. The only flaw of the insert is that the bottom, for some strange reason, is not padded. This is an important flaw, but it can be solved easily by placing small foam pieces inside the divisions, or a larger foam sheet at the bottom of your bag.

Here are some pictures (with a film SLR as the demo camera, since my K20D was used to take pictures...)

The insert

All that goes in (with room to spare)

Packed to go

Inside the backpack

The backpack

08-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As the "Perfect" solution I somehow expected the last photo to show all the gear strapped firmly to your spouse leaving your hands free to take pics.

.....just think about it when you use the word "perfect".
08-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, with that bag my hands ARE free to do whatever I want

Seriously though, I'm not saying it's A perfect solution, just MY perfect solution. The only "flaw" (shared with all backpacks) is that you have to remove the bag to access the gear, but having a smaller lens pouch or P&S case attached to my waist allows me to switch between two lenses without removing the bag from my shoulders.

About 2/3 of the bag is still empty, plus the front pockets. And that bag is about standard for one-day hikes (the case would still fit the bigger camping bags, like my 75 liters...)
08-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

But your K20D fits to your liking?

I am looking for something like this because I love my LL Bean backpack, but need something to haul my camera. My problems are that I have a K200D with battery grip and it doesn't fit well into camera bags, and the main compartment of my backpack is larger than this insert, so it would shift around unless I packed other stuff around it at all times.

This is very interesting, though. Have you seen it in B&M stores?

08-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
With the grip, the K20D would fit horizontally without trouble (as long as the lens+camera length is not longer than the "T"). The insert is 8 inches tall, enough for the K20D+grip. It would not fit vertically, I think, except maybe if you put nothing in the two small pockets and move things around a bit.

If your backpack is larger, maybe you could place the insert at 90 degrees from my configuration, which would leave only one side of the insert "free". It depends on the size of your bag, or course. Kgear also make a nice insert (not as well configured, I think) that's larger than this one, and has a cover (which I don't think I would like). It's more expensive though.

The Domke insert was purchased from B&H. It's very hard to find in Canada, and I haven't seen it on eBay.

As I wrote, the bottom is not padded, which I think is dumb. But I used Pelican packing foam (the kind that's made of 1cmx1cmx5cm pieces glued together) which I placed at the bottom of each division. It works perfectly for me. Any foam would do, and if you cut it right it won't move at all.
08-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks. I just ordered one by accident (thought I would have a chance to review before the order was actually submitted) from a place called AvAlive.com (crosses fingers) for supposedly $22.55 shipped.

I don't have high hopes for this transaction, but the product is nearly perfect for me.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
08-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
As en enthusiast hiker, I have long been looking for a photographer's hiking backpack. Many manufacturers sell camera backpacks with varied features. However, as many hikers will tell you, a backpack needs to be selected with care, and not all backpacks will suit every person. What's more, camera backpacks rarely offer features that hikers find useful, such as a hydration pouch, waist and chest support, extra-strong zippers and so forth.

Because of this, I much prefer to select a backpack in an outdoors sports store instead of in a camera store. I found a backpack that I love, and can't see why I should pay more than a hundred dollars for a dedicated camera bag that's not designed as well. This bag (like most hiking bags) has a pocket for a hydration pouch, the side pockets can hold my tripod, it has many smaller pockets which can hold accessories, it is weatherproof but lets air circulate, in short it's perfect... except that it obviously does not protect the photo gear. So after finding the perfect backpack for me, I now had to find an insert that matches it. Now an easy task, since not many manufacturers sell inserts without a bag. I finally decided on the "Domke digital SLR camera insert". It is the insert that best matches common 35 or 40 liters backpacks. I must confess that I was close to making an insert myself, but I prefer to have someone else doing the sewing for me

The Domke is 8 inches tall, which is just the right size for most DSLRs and lens combos (placed vertically). It has two square (3x3 inches) divisions, perfect for regular-sized lenses, and two small rectangular divisions (about 3x1,5 inches), which can hold smaller lenses, flashes, or accessories. The main division is shaped like a T, so the camera and lens can be placed either versitally or horizontally. The insert is flexible enough that it will adapt itself to the shape of your gear. It occupies about half the size of my backpack, leaving room for other things, like a jacket, food, etc. I can also attach a small P&S camera bag to my hip, and use it to store one extra lens that I might use often (no need to remove the bag to swap lenses that way).

The sides or the insert are very well padded, and the padding can be removed or replaced if needed. The internal divisions are more lightly padded but offer sufficient protection. The only flaw of the insert is that the bottom, for some strange reason, is not padded. This is an important flaw, but it can be solved easily by placing small foam pieces inside the divisions, or a larger foam sheet at the bottom of your bag.

Here are some pictures (with a film SLR as the demo camera, since my K20D was used to take pictures...)
I like your approach, and I agree with you about the failings of camera backpacks.

I own 3 of them and can comment that 2 are not designed properly, but I still use them, here's why.

The three I own are

Lowepro computrekker AW
Lowepro Micro trekker 200
Lowepro photo trekker AW

of these bags only the photo trekker AW is the best designed. The suspension is independant from the pack, and can be adjusted for the height of the carrier, in terms of the differing lengths of individuals torso.

The other 2 packs have straps attached directly to the bag, and cannot have the shoulder pads and chest straps correctly placed relitive to the waist belt except for very short people.

The computrekker , with the computer pouch, places the load of the camera and contents too far away from the back.

In addition, the tripod hanger, off the front of the bag really puts the load too far back and throws off ballance

Having said all of this, I use all the packs. The fundamental use of most back packs is to transport equipment from A to B on an airplane. Once at B, I generally only take a portion of the kit in a smaller shoulder bag.

The only exceptions to this are with the microtrekker, which is so small that I have removed the waist belt.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 08-27-2009 at 11:58 AM.
08-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Now that's good to know about - thanks for posting. I too have been thinking about making my own insert, but can't face the sewing. Plus I just discovered my sewing machine needs a new drive belt... that's my current excuse, anyway.

The only drawback I can see is that it has no top - I might want something to keep crud from falling in, or lenses out, when I'm digging for something else in the bag. But a lid would get in the way of getting lenses out, I suppose.

At present, I put lenses in individual cases in my pack, and the camera either on a harness on my chest or in a lowe tlz case in the pack. Inevitably the lens I want has managed to work its way to the bottom of the pack... I'll seriously consider getting one of these. How long have you had it? How many hikes?

Julie
08-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Thanks. I just ordered one by accident (thought I would have a chance to review before the order was actually submitted) from a place called AvAlive.com (crosses fingers) for supposedly $22.55 shipped.
Almost half what I paid... but then again I fully trust B&H

QuoteQuote:
The only drawback I can see is that it has no top - I might want something to keep crud from falling in, or lenses out, when I'm digging for something else in the bag. But a lid would get in the way of getting lenses out, I suppose.
I think if you want a lid the best would be to get a piece of foam and place it above. Everyone packs his/her bag differently but for me the lid would have been more annoying than useful. What I usually place in my bag is a shirt/raincoat, or lunch (in a plastic wrapping) or both. so these objects are somewhat large and would prevent me from lifting any sort of lid or cover.

Except if you hold the backpack upside down, there is no chance of a lens falling out, believe me.

QuoteQuote:
At present, I put lenses in individual cases in my pack, and the camera either on a harness on my chest or in a lowe tlz case in the pack. Inevitably the lens I want has managed to work its way to the bottom of the pack... I'll seriously consider getting one of these. How long have you had it? How many hikes?
When hiking, the camera is usually in my hands. But I like having the possibility of placing it in the bag when needed. I could use the bag in an airplane as well as when hiking, which does make sense.

I've had it for a short while, but already hiked a couple of times with it. Plus before getting the insert I used the bag a lot when bicycling with a similarly-sized lunchbox in the backpack, and it's very confortable.

If the backpack is well fitted to you, and the weigth well distributed, you shouldn't have any problems.
08-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
As the "Perfect" solution I somehow expected the last photo to show all the gear strapped firmly to your spouse leaving your hands free to take pics.

.....just think about it when you use the word "perfect".
I guess I'm a little more politically correct as I was half expecting a photo of a pack mule.
08-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A pack mule... Now that's an idea. A nice vintage look
10-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #12

My question is: how do you get to the camera gear (which is at the bottom of the pack) when you're hiking?
I'd hate to get all my stuff in the dust everytime I want to get the camera out of the pack.
10-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Clik Elite is a manufacture making camera backpacks with true hiking in mind. They have the features built in like Lowell pointed out. The larger packs have adjustable torso feature for the straps. They all have hydration built in. Materials are very durable. They are built like proper hiking backpacks.

Several months ago I switched from a Kata 3n1 10 to the Clik Elite Compact Sport. Ergonomically the Clik Elite pack is the most comfortable pack I have owned. It is ideal for prime shooters. It is not a large pack so it is either one zoom and a prime or two or several primes. It is tight fit inside but the Compact Sport model is just that Compact.

It makes for a great system with their chest pack or top loader as the packs have snaps built into the straps to receive them.

The only downside is they are more expensive. The upside they are made with quality materials.
10-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zorobabel Quote
My question is: how do you get to the camera gear (which is at the bottom of the pack) when you're hiking?
I'd hate to get all my stuff in the dust everytime I want to get the camera out of the pack.
When hiking, my camera is usually around my neck or in my hands. I attach a smaller P&S Lowepro camera bag to the hip support of the bag, and place a second lens there. The rest of my stuff (rocket blower, remote, third lens, flash if needed) stay in the bag. I figure if I need to use those I won't do it while walking, so it becomes easy to remove the bag and access the stuff. And if for whatever reason I'm not using the camera, it's perfectly well protected in the insert.

I used the setup again last week-end when hiking up and down a mountain, and it's a perfect solution. Using one bag for photo gear, hydration pouch, lunch, and warm clothing is perfect for me.

YMMV of course.
10-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found the Ortlieb Aquacam "large" rather useful. It is waterproof. So I have no trouble using it while fishing or crossing a river. It is padded, opens on top with a slider on a sealing lip (works until -5 C.) and has room for one DSLR (K200D) with my 16-50 mm with hood, a extra 55-300mm and some filters, batteries etc... It is a tight fit in height though. When hiking with my big 'normal' backpack on my back I use it on my chest with a harness system; the hight can be adjusted. And it doubles as shoulder bag for normal use. The only drawback is that the camera with the 55-300 mm only fits without the hood attached.

There is still room for a extra pancake lens which I am thinking about buying...