Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I Am... CAMERAMAN!

After a bunch of trial and error, I think I've finally settled on a good setup that allows me to hike, bike and take pictures while keeping my camera safe yet ready at a moment's notice. I can carry tons of gear, but it doesn't weigh me down excessively. Changing lenses is fast and easy, no need to dig in any bag. And I can easily switch configuration depending on the conditions. Only problem is, I look like a complete dork. But I don't care, I just take pictures of the people who look at me with expressions of bewilderment.

First, let me apologize for the quality of these pictures. It's freezing cold and snowing outside, so I had to take these indoors. And since my K-7 is part of the gear, I had to take these shots with my Canon S3 IS, which is a terrible indoor camera.

First, the super hero pose:

Name:  IMG_2737.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  43.5 KB

followed by the improbable walking pose:

Name:  IMG_2740.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  48.0 KB

Notice how the camera is secured to my waist. I can slip the neoprene cover off and be taking pictures within seconds. This has been the greatest improvement, since it allows me to ride my mountain bike without having to take the camera in and out of the backpack. It's held in pace very securely, and my soft belly does a great job of absorbing impacts. And since the camera is attached to my backpack straps, there's no weight pulling down my neck.

Also notice I've added a couple of lens cases to the straps. So now I don't have to dig through the backpack to get to my lenses, just swap them out right from their cases. I have the DA* 50-135mm at my right hip, and my "other lens" case at my right shoulder (I picked that one because most of my other lenses can fit in there, one at a time). I can still carry 3-4 more lenses in my backpack if I want to torture myself with more weight.

If I'm cycling through tough trails where I might fall off the bike, I'll probably leave the camera in the backpack. The Lowepro Primus AW pack has a lot of padding and keeps all my gear real safe. But for trails that are just converted railroad paths, or for hiking on foot, this setup is perfect. There's even a water bottle case available that I can put in other places on the bag.

In the future, I'll probably replace the lower strap of the backpack with the neoprene cover, just so I don't have 2 straps down there. Other than that, this setup worked perfectly last friday and made shooting a whole lot easier. I'm not kidding, though. People were giving me some weird looks.

At least I don't look like this guy:

03-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Banned

where is the utility belt?
03-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just curious, Whats inside on your left shoulder and whats lens was attach to your K7
03-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Just curious, Whats inside on your left shoulder and whats lens was attach to your K7
smc-F 35-70mm?

03-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Frank,

Superb!
What ingenuity!
What creativity!
Your outfit is beyond criticism.
It lacks nothing.
Trés admirable.
I am sure a Nobel prize is in the offing.

Mickey
03-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
smc-F 35-70mm?
good guess

And the one in the case at my shoulder is an 18-55mm WR kit lens at the moment, sometimes the Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 takes its place, and in the near future I hope to have the FA 31mm F1.8 Limited in there.
03-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haha! Yes! It is he! Wot cameras in the night.

03-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
where is the utility belt?
Don't need one yet, and hopefully I never will I look dorky enough as it is.

One thing I forgot to mention is how well-balanced this setup is. With the camera in front instead of in the bag, and with the DA* 50-135mm at my waist, I feel like I'm carrying almost no weight. I was able to bike for 2 hours straight with this gear on and never felt any strain at all. It helps that the tripod weighs less than 3 pounds, too.
03-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
good guess

And the one in the case at my shoulder is an 18-55mm WR kit lens at the moment, sometimes the Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 takes its place, and in the near future I hope to have the FA 31mm F1.8 Limited in there.
im psychic. and a detective.

actually, I recall you mentioning purchasing that particular lens. and its clearly and F series. though thats all I could possibly deduct by the photo.
03-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
actually, I recall you mentioning purchasing that particular lens. and its clearly and F series. though thats all I could possibly deduct by the photo.
It's my most commonly used lens, so it stays on the camera a lot. Also, due to its small size, it makes it easier to slip the neoprene cover on and off. I can do that with the kit lens too, but the DA* 50-135mm is a tad on the long side for that cover to go on properly. Besides, I wouldn't want to be biking with the DA* 50-135mm attached, too much chance of damaging it. The case I got for it is HEAVILY padded.
03-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am curious about the neoprene cover/harness. Where did you find that?

Steve
03-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am curious about the neoprene cover/harness. Where did you find that?
5301002 Op/Tech Stabilizer Strap - Black

I love Op/Tech stuff. My neck strap is an Op/Tech Pro, which drastically reduces the strain on my neck when I have the K-7, battery grip and DA* 50-135mm hung around it. I can unclip the neck strap part, and then attach the remaining bits of strap to the D-rings on my backpack. It's all interchangeable and very convenient.

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMG_2741.JPG
Views: 745
Size:  76.0 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMG_2742.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  80.2 KB

edit: I hate this crappy point and shoot. I'm seriously considering getting a K-x just so I can take proper pictures of my K-7
03-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Who knows what details lurks in the shadows?

CAMERAMAN KNOWS!!!!

See the adventures of Cameraman as he fights against the archvillians such as the the Nois-inator (aka Mr. High ISO Chaos), The Shaker (aka Mr. Blured photo), and his arch nemesis the Measurebator (aka, "My Camera stay at home in the Test Stand" Man)...

Nice rig by the way. I sometimes get a little self conscious when I use my Optech dual harness at weddings....

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 03-21-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Did not want to double post
03-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
See the adventures of Cameraman as he fights against the archvillians such as the the Nois-inator (aka Mr. High ISO Chaos), The Shaker (aka Mr. Blured photo), and his arch nemesis the Measurebator (aka, "My Camera stay at home in the Test Stand" Man)...
Measurebator is my nemesis!!!

In keeping with this, and because I clearly have no shame whatsoever, here is the rest of the series I took this afternoon.

This is the "gotcha!" pose:
Name:  IMG_2751.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  50.8 KB

This is the "Kung Fu kick!" pose:
Name:  IMG_2748.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  49.1 KB

This is the "Oh crap, that didn't go like I expected" pose:
Name:  IMG_2749.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  54.9 KB

And this is the "Stupid camera! Stop taking pictures of me!" pose:
Name:  IMG_2750.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  52.7 KB
03-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Frank,

My French is not at all very good - but - Isle-aux-Noix - Nut Island ?

Mickey