Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Likes system: changes

Hello everyone,

The following changes are effective immediately regarding our likes system:
-It is no longer referred to as the "reputation" system.
-All like clicks from users will now award 1 like
-The "pentaxian" status likes requirement has been reduced to 75, down from 100
-All reviews (lens, camera, accessory) and serial numbers posted will now award 1 like
-In your User CP, you can now not only view recent likes received, but also recent likes given
-Recent likes have also been added as a profile tab
-A "My Liked Posts" link has been added to the "My Activity" menu in the upper-right of the page, which lists all your posts that have received likes
-Likes score recalculation: what used to be known as your reputation score will now directly correspond to your number of liked posts, plus however many reviews or serials you have posted
Note: the new number of likes will most likely be lower than your old "reputation score", but have no worries, because:
-User profile reputation icons: likes required for each icon reduced by 20%, title milestones also reduced by 20% due to the recalculation

Later this month, the following features will be launched:
-"Who liked this post" dropdown
-Unlike feature

In order to like a post, simply click on the thumbs up icon beside the post, and then click on the like button. Entering a comment about the post is optional.

07-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is "Unlike" a way of retracting your "Like", or does it mean "I dislike this"?

Also, my user CP page on Likes says "Adam has received 37..." not "uccemebug has received"
07-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yes it's a reversal feature, not a dislike. It's going to be quite discrete.

Could you please post a screenshot of the issue in the user cp? You're referring to the rep score at the top, right?
07-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes it's a reversal feature, not a dislike. It's going to be quite discrete.

Could you please post a screenshot of the issue in the user cp? You're referring to the rep score at the top, right?
I've attached a screen shot. It's in the summary line, at the bottom of the boxes that show all of the likes given and received.

Attached Images

07-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the database is a very good idea. But to reward every listing with a point, however stimulating to run to it to do so, is maybe a bit unfair. Not everybody can afford the same amount of equipment. Well, never mind, it is just a hesitant side thought.

da*55 1.4 lacks , probably my most liked modern lens. Or did I somehow miss it, if so, so sorry.
07-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Also, I give away reputation/likes like candy (as you can see above), I'm sure I'm distorting things. 8^)
07-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Is "Unlike" a way of retracting your "Like", or does it mean "I dislike this"?

Also, my user CP page on Likes says "Adam has received 37..." not "uccemebug has received"
Mine does the same thing. Adam sure has received a LOT of Likes

07-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Adam sure has received a LOT of Likes
It's all in the programming. ;-)

Tim
07-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It'd be interesting to see the total given, as well. I bet mine's 100x the received count.
07-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure I just typed my name in the template- who needs variables?
07-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yup that was indeed the case. Silly me! Also, a heads-up: do be aware that the usercp/profile blocks are cached for 7.5 minutes at a time, so don't be surprised if they don't refresh right away.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Adam,

Are the reputation points going to be retroactive for those of us who have already sumitted reviews and serial numbers?

Tom G
07-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
No, they're not unfortunately, but rep points for reviews aren't a new thing- they've been around for almost as long as the rep system (now the likes system) itself, except that now you'll be getting 1 point instead of 3, because 1 point = 1 like.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Any Reason for the change?

Was this done to benefit or discredit any special groups or interests? I find it fascinating why these kind of things, which tend to always be slightly "political" in nature, be used in any forum. It tends to reward "older" members and somewhat hinder "newer" members.

If everyone started at 0 points it'd be easier for ALL, which should not really bother any members. We're not here for the points or reputation, are we?
07-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
I find it fascinating why these kind of things, which tend to always be slightly "political" in nature, be used in any forum. It tends to reward "older" members and somewhat hinder "newer" members.
The opposite could be argued. Since the majority of my posts were before the reputation system I received no positive points for them. All the points I have received were for a recent minority of my posts. This skews the ratio considerably.

Really, though, I'd be happy without this system entirely. But it doesn't bug me that it is here. I suppose I just don't get the psychology of it.