Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spring/Summer East-Coast Gathering

Second Annual gathering (Spring/Summer 2009) now Set!
Maryland's Eastern Shore, Blackwater Wildlife Refuge
June 26-28, 2009
Please go to the link below to find out more
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-events/46308-planning-2nd-annu...-open-all.html
[SIZE="5"]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open to All
June 27-29th 2008

Please note, Though Pentax-users centered, anyone interested may attend. This is meant to be a weekend-long event, not just a day-trip gathering. However Sat. is the main day if you can only make it than.

Location will be Shenandoah National Park, info here: Shenandoah National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Details for trip/workshops https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/216751-post44.html

Thanks to our Sponsors:
Crumpler, Lexjet, Lensbaby, Trek-Tech, Lexar, Epson, LowePro, Pentax Fourms, P3 Imaging Inc.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

5/28 Last Call for attendance before I place a T-Shirt order. If your not on the list I dont have you down as coming! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/223048-post47.html
I am unsure of room-space, but workshop is still open and will be (minus some perks like t-shirt and dinners up until the weekend of the workshop)

Also if you haven't already, I need everyone's sizes for t-shirts ASAP

And Please thank and patrognise our sponsors listed here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/222036-post46.html

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

We Have Conformation! 4/10 Ok, I talked with sales today and here is the skinny:
Because we are opting for a weekend (easiest for everyone) they do not normally do discounts on rooms. Even on a weekday we would need 15-rooms for the discount.
Now the good news is that they can do a set-meal plan for us and after I get the menu choices I will post for all to see. I may be able to get them even to “cater” the entire event for a bulk rate if some may wish (breakfasts and bag-lunches, however I think the bring-your-own option is still going to be cheaper.
Also if we confirm it they might be able to arrange with the GM of the resort to allow us to be the evening entertainment by projecting a slide show of photos from the day

Now for the Prices:
I talked about conference-room rental if needed, that’s $200 for 5-6hr, however I do not see the need really with only 10 people (as of now) if I get a semi-suite that has a living room that we all can congregate-in.
Cabins (no real view of valley) 1 or 2 beds $73-94/night +tax
Traditional room [better views] 1-2 beds (doubles or queens per request) $118+tax
Camping, please see Shenandoah National Park - Campgrounds (U.S. National Park Service)

I estimate following costs for the weekend $3-500 (depending on options and gas)
You’re responsible for booking and providing
Entrance Fee $15/car
Room $175-250
Food breakfast/lunches TBA
“Workshop-fee” $75-100 includes*
(Reduced for spouses/family just wishing to have meals w/ us)
T-Shirt, 16x20 print Classes, freebees from sponsors Guided hikes, and equipment loaners
Food: Welcome BBQ (at picnic area, they changed the rules), 1 Dinner (set meal) at lodge, snacks, drinks, donation to Pentax Forums

I need to know by Tax Tuesday (the 15th) definite numbers for food/attendance and if anyone objects to a public slide-show so I can get firm pricing on food and talk to the GM about the free space for the slide-show presentation to the resort. Please PM or email me.

Sponsors and t-shirt:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/222036-post46.html
Who's Attending:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/223048-post47.html

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

3/21 Ok I am hopefully meeting or will be discussing over the phone w/ the manager of the place next week. I plan on trying to obtain a discounted room rate (10% at least) and set up for a fixed-dinner on Sat. with possibility of a slide-show presentation for all to see that evening in their tap-room (i.e.: use of bigger space for free, nice critique time, etc) Please PM me if you have any special food needs, I will try to get it set w/ 2 options in addition to a special needs meal (vegetarian, allergy etc) if any.
Everyone please email me at bominb@hotmail.com so I can send out forms and final pricing details, numbers etc
Note: Everyone will be responsible for park entrance fee, booking their own room and meal service for breakfast and Lunch on Sat and Sunday. I recommend sandwiches and light fair easily made in-room as the dining hall can get pricey for the weekend and busy too. They do have Ice Machines but no other means of refrigeration; I will bring a large coffee maker or 2 for coffee and hot water. I will only be collecting $$ to cover costs of the dinners and supplies, Reduced “fee” for spouses not participating in workshops but would like to join for dinners.

3/8/08 We have had 7 people vote in the pole that the last weekend in June is best. I am going to now decide this will be the weekend we use unless a sudden influx. I will be contacting the park about discounted rates etc. next week.
To all those That have said can make it, I will be PM'ing you asking to email me and than I will pull together details, forms etc and email it to everyone in the next week or so. (feel free to PM me too w/ email address)

Thanks, looks like this will go!

3/4/08 I have created a poll to make it easyer on us deciding on a weekend. We seam to have enough serious inquiries that this may run. Please take poll here for weekend dates: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/22072-east-coast-workshop-dates-pol.html

----------
Hi all, after meeting and talking with David yesterday (photo tramp) we really want to get a decent gathering together over a weekend.
This would be an un-official Pentax event, just a gathering of us Pentaxians to enjoy somewhere for a weekend, learn, photograph, enjoy company etc.
I am willing to do the leg work on this to set up a location and attempt to get group discounts. I am also willing to set up and teach 2-3 sessions and would ask for anyone who is an expert in a field to join in too (like one of our bug-macro guys)
I was thinking for a location the Blue Ridge Mountains in Va. there is options to stay in a lodge, cabin or camp so prices would vary (just "stock" price for now) between $35-120/night and we could always share rooms (most have 2 full beds) (I am unsure about cabin pricing, never stayed in them)
I also would be willing to pseudo-sponsor the event by my personal photography company for stuff like printing or tech and lighting etc along with allowing barrow of my equipment (I have a lot, just ask Dave)
I would also try to get some other sponsors like Lensbaby and maybe Epson for a few lenses and paper/ink and give-away's
I would run this as a non-profit making set-up, you would pay directly the lodge for stay, and me only if we would "rent a room/hall" for a day but I figure we could do most of it out-side or in one of the reg. rooms etc. OR I could try to get a special group rate that would include a dinner or something.
Ether way Let me know It would be good to meet everyone and get together one of the largest Pentaxian gatherings ever held.
Thanks much,
Brendan

Last edited by BrendanPK; 05-20-2009 at 10:50 AM.
02-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a great idea!

I'm in VA, would be more than happy to meet up for a weekend!

Regards,
D
02-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok, so far thats 2 people intrested.
Would love to get like 10 people commited to it
-B
02-24-2008, 01:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account

You know I'm in. Just need a date.

02-24-2008, 01:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Oh by the way Thanks for the great time the other day. It is always interesting to get together and the Strobest tips really stuck. I need to know what remote you were using. I did a little work with the flash yesterday when the kids were down but I really would like to get a remote. It would add so much more depth to the pictures.
02-24-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good luck people. Sounds like Brendan is inviting you to one heck of a weekend of fun, learning and comradarship.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 02-24-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Corrected name spelling.
02-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I have been tossing around the idea that I'd like to visit North & South Carolina this summer. I have seen several references to Grandfather Mountain in this area as a great place to take nature pics. Is that far from your proposed location? I am willing to travel! Distance doesn't bother me much if I have the time to do it. (My son and I once traveled to Lancaster, PA to play a game of paintball, so anything is possible!) I have the last week of June and the first week of July off this summer. I love to attend something if it fits into that time slot.

02-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Everyone welcome to the Event.
The location I am thinking is in Virginia (north west in the Blue Ridge range, the closest 2 towns are Front Royal and Luray)

I am willing to try to work something up, as for J.Scott, I think your time frame would be perfect (Last week in june) Its after schools have ended and before the big heat of the summer (hopefully)

Photo-Tramp:
I was using a Pentax AF540 set to regular photo slave and manual power at 1/16th
As for you needing a date... what would your wife say LOL

Seams like we may have up to 4 takers so far, If I can get atleast 8-10 I would be willing to set everything up (TELL YOUR FRIENDS)
-b
02-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Everyone welcome to the Event.
The location I am thinking is in Virginia (north west in the Blue Ridge range, the closest 2 towns are Front Royal and Luray)

I am willing to try to work something up, as for J.Scott, I think your time frame would be perfect (Last week in june) Its after schools have ended and before the big heat of the summer (hopefully)

Seams like we may have up to 4 takers so far, If I can get atleast 8-10 I would be willing to set everything up (TELL YOUR FRIENDS)
-b
I am interested but it would depend on the particulars (as I have 5 kids and a husband that seem to think they need me around for stuff). I'm about an hour-ish away from Front Royal in Prince William County.
02-26-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
(as I have 5 kids and a husband that seem to think they need me around for stuff)
Tough. Tell 'em they'll have to do without and that YOU need a break.
02-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sounds Great!

Hi!

I saw the fun time you and David had and thought the same thing - except I was thinking cherry blossoms not mountains. But mountains work, too! The timing is really going to be the deciding factor for me, though, as ice skating competition season is starting up. Definitely would only be able to make a day trip out of it.

I'll keep checking back to see if you've set a date!
02-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Depending on the date, I'm in.
02-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Count me in as well... contingent on the date of course. May 1-12 is out for me (Alaskan cruise time)...

Mike
02-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Count me in as well... contingent on the date of course. May 1-12 is out for me (Alaskan cruise time)...

Mike
I was wondering when are you going to pop-up Look forward to meeting all of you in person!

Regards,
D
02-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, its coming along well. Seam to have about 5-6 now.
PhotoMom: We can all try and do a trip to the Festival in the spring, though I doubt David will be up and running by than (hes having surgery on his knee) I would be happy to meet up in DC for that for a few hours some day. I will say this however, weekdays are best. It is the largest PIA to go to DC during the festival, unless you take in metro.

Everyone else:
People are coming along, tell more friends (even if they dont shoot with the best cameras on the earth... pentaxes). Like I said I will run atleast 2 classes on photography and let everyone have a go at the equpiment I have (From film to digital, and yes david... the FA*300F2.8)
I will try to get a few more things on temp loan if I can and will also try to get some give-aways.
I am working on some dates now but if everyone here so far is good with the end of June than I shale plan for that... UNLESS you would like to go over the 4th of July, Its cool to watch fireworks from above them (there are shows in the valley below) BUT their is little chance I can get any sort of discount that day/days and we would have to book now as it is always full that weekend.

Only times that are not good for me is July 5/6th-12th (I could stay untill the 5th if we did a 4th deal, The 4th is on a friday)
Other than that right now I am fine.

Option 2- Location would be interior of Main (like around Baxter State Park, or by the border w/ NH in the White Mountains) Stay would be extremely cheep, though can be a little more primitive (camping, not always the best facilities) Time would be in Aug. Opportunity to photograph moose! (esp. if in Baxter) This trip I would totally plan, but would require some people to meet up and car-pool and have 4X4 vehicles (mainly for the clearance, not real traitorous off-roading) I have a Pick-up for gear, but would need another SUV or 2 for people.I will be posting a new thread on this option, do not reply here for this. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/21614-east-coast-gathering-option-2-aug.html