Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 04:30 AM   #1126
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
FA-50 f8/1/60 flash fired
Now that's sharp! That lens seems to live up to its reputation. Congrats on securing it.

01-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #1127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oooh - nice, except for the subject.
01-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #1128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Now that's sharp! That lens seems to live up to its reputation. Congrats on securing it.
I'm a lucky camper all right

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Oooh - nice, except for the subject.
They are very quiet, not your ordinary wasp
01-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #1129
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing these!
You've got some very saturated colours there... Looks like the "bright" JPEG setting or something. In particular the blues seem too blue to be true.
Had a look at the raws - there's no saturation adjustment in any of those, and I believe ACR ignores any camera settings, so they are as is!

01-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #1130
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I believe ACR ignores any camera settings, so they are as is!
ACR is known to develop RAW files in a camera-specific way. Canikon can make sure this way that the files look as intended for any tester using ACR as a benchmark for comparison. So maybe there is some odd K-7 profile going on. More likely, I guess, it does fetch the camera settings.

I cannot believe that an ACR default would make a river look that blue.
01-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #1131
Pentaxian

I cannot believe that an ACR default would make a river look that blue.

ACR ...
A Clutha Render ?
I can remember being gobsmacked how blue some of those rivers are
not to mention green and black
Likewise that amazing stretch of coast with the dramatic shelf drop-off
but who am I to say
01-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #1132

Hey fellas.
My first post here, thought I'd start off in the local forum

I've purchased a K20D + two sigma lenses while on holiday in aussie a few months ago and brought it back with me (getting the nice 10% tourist refund too!).
The sigma lenses are a bit on the crap side (to put it lightly!), and so I've been looking around for something a bit better.

I spotted a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 AF XR Di (etc etc) second hand in christchurch (Photo & Video International - New & Used Photographic Equipment & Digital Printing) for $495, which seemed pretty reasonable given it got favourable reviews. So I've picked it up, and have a few days to try it out and make sure it performs OK.
I've done some comparison shots (I won't post them, as I'm at work atm), seems to perform alot better compared to the sigma (18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC). BUT!! I notice there is a very thin (hairline) scratch on the rear element (on the outside, closest to the sensor). It appears to be just in the coating, and you do have to look for it, but it is definitely there. I will do some tests later on to see if it can affect the image in any way. Anyway, given the IQ seems fine so far, I am more concerned about the resale value - which I doubt I could get anything more than $300-400 for a lens with a scratch. Would you reccomend I bring it up with the shop, and see what they can do about it? (It has a 3 month warranty, and given it is the rear element, replacement must be fairly simple).

On another note (a very long first post!), this has been floating around on trademe for a bit:
!!!! SMC Pentax - A f1.7 50mm Lens !!!! for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
A 50mm prime seems like a good lens to force a beginner to learn with, and their reputation for sharpness and speed an added bonus. Now, the one listed there is the Pentax-A (auto aperture, which I would like). It has been listed twice, with an asking price of $160, including postage, which seems OK to me. I'm a bit cautious now that no-one has bought it yet, as another auto aperture one (it may have been a F/1.4) sold like a hot-cake. No doubt some of you here have seen the auction, and can anyone offer any insight as to it's estimated value? As a 50mm prime is it in line with Pentax's excellent reputation?

Whew, long first post!. Cheers, and looking forward to spending more time on this forum

01-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #1133
Veteran Member

Hey there,
The variable aperture Sigma is a kit lens (designed... well to be cheap really - although some provide OK quality stopped down) whereas the constant f/2.8 zooms are usually higher-end. They have more speed, but also usually have better sharpness, bokeh, contrast etc - and are usually much larger and heavier, although with better build. I think that Tamron is considered pretty decent, but one thing to mention is that 28mm is a lot longer than 18mm. I think the lens was originally designed for full frame use, where 28mm is reasonably wide. If you need a wider angle, many 'standard' focal length f/2.8 zooms go down to 24mm or 18mm or 16mm - although they're usually not performing at their best there. Wider than that are dedicated wide-angle primes or zooms.

Other f/2.8 options are:
Sigma 24-60mm (can be had for some quite amazing deals as it's older)
Sigma 24-70 (HSM)
Sigma 18-50 (HSM)
Tamron 17-50 (not sure if HSM)
Pentax 16-50 DA* (SDM and weather-sealed)

Then there's 17-70 f/4s offered by Pentax (HSM version) and Sigma too.

There might be some more third part ones too.

The scratch doesn't sound like it will affect your images, but you might want to discuss it with them, as it would be something you'd note if you were selling it.

Not sure on the 50mm value, but again with the 'cropped sensor' DSLR's liek the K20D, the 35mm equivalent focal length is about 75mm, so it's effectively a short tele.

Apologies if I just noted a heap of stuff you already know, if not, I hope it helps.
01-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #1134
Pentaxian

Hi and welcome !
check here for lens review database

The A-50/1.7 will give you aperture control from the body and full Av use.
A very good lens. $160 reflects the increased price of new lenses unfortunately.
people get excited over the 1.4 cause of that lovely big fat glass and one upmanship
The 1.7 is as good. Out of focus blur on the 1.4 probably better.
They come up occasionally on TM, much more often the M lenses which don't comunicate aperture to the camera. You have to hit the green button to stop down and meter. Not that that is a biggy
Pete

QuoteOriginally posted by Enervation Quote
Hey fellas.
My first post here, thought I'd start off in the local forum

I've purchased a K20D + two sigma lenses while on holiday in aussie a few months ago and brought it back with me (getting the nice 10% tourist refund too!).
The sigma lenses are a bit on the crap side (to put it lightly!), and so I've been looking around for something a bit better.

I spotted a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 AF XR Di (etc etc) second hand in christchurch (Photo & Video International - New & Used Photographic Equipment & Digital Printing) for $495, which seemed pretty reasonable given it got favourable reviews. So I've picked it up, and have a few days to try it out and make sure it performs OK.
I've done some comparison shots (I won't post them, as I'm at work atm), seems to perform alot better compared to the sigma (18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC). BUT!! I notice there is a very thin (hairline) scratch on the rear element (on the outside, closest to the sensor). It appears to be just in the coating, and you do have to look for it, but it is definitely there. I will do some tests later on to see if it can affect the image in any way. Anyway, given the IQ seems fine so far, I am more concerned about the resale value - which I doubt I could get anything more than $300-400 for a lens with a scratch. Would you reccomend I bring it up with the shop, and see what they can do about it? (It has a 3 month warranty, and given it is the rear element, replacement must be fairly simple).

On another note (a very long first post!), this has been floating around on trademe for a bit:
A 50mm prime seems like a good lens to force a beginner to learn with, and their reputation for sharpness and speed an added bonus. Now, the one listed there is the Pentax-A (auto aperture, which I would like). It has been listed twice, with an asking price of $160, including postage, which seems OK to me. I'm a bit cautious now that no-one has bought it yet, as another auto aperture one (it may have been a F/1.4) sold like a hot-cake. No doubt some of you here have seen the auction, and can anyone offer any insight as to it's estimated value? As a 50mm prime is it in line with Pentax's excellent reputation?

Whew, long first post!. Cheers, and looking forward to spending more time on this forum

Last edited by Transit; 01-25-2010 at 01:53 AM.
01-25-2010, 02:19 AM   #1135
Pentaxian

That Sigma 18-50 was kitted in Oz as CR Kennedy imports both there, but they have separate importers here. All the Aussies said it was a hunk of junk.

That Tamron should be good cos of the constant 2.8 aperture, which is always nice to have. Don't have a clue how the scratch will affect you pics.

Welcome along. Pity a few more of the Kiwis that have signed up recently don't post here.

And yes Class A - rivers can look that blue.
01-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #1136
Pentaxian

He's got the A1.7 up for $140 buynow now.
I paid about $75 but everything doubled since then so...

good luck
Pete
01-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #1137

That Sigma 18-50 was kitted in Oz as CR Kennedy imports both there, but they have separate importers here. All the Aussies said it was a hunk of junk.
Exactly, there was the Sigma 18-50mm 3.5-5.6 and a 55-200mm 4-5.6. Both seem pretty awful. The tele zoom especially at 200mm, where it is terribly soft. Sadly I was in a rush to make the purchase before I went on holiday so I could allow time for it to ship to where I was staying. I think the fact that they were offering BOTH kit lenses at no extra price should have rung some bells! Still, it was a bargain compared to what shops in NZ ask for the K20D - I take it that pentax doesn't have any distributors here?

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
I think that Tamron is considered pretty decent, but one thing to mention is that 28mm is a lot longer than 18mm. I think the lens was originally designed for full frame use, where 28mm is reasonably wide. If you need a wider angle, many 'standard' focal length f/2.8 zooms go down to 24mm or 18mm or 16mm - although they're usually not performing at their best there. Wider than that are dedicated wide-angle primes or zooms.
Indeed, I did a comparison last night to see how wide 18mm is compared to 28mm, and you're dead right, I will be wanting to go wider than 28mm at times. I'll have to decide if I will be able to accept that or not. The price for the Tamron still seems pretty good, especially given the rather limited availablility for decent second hand auto focus pentax mount lenses. I'm a big fan of second hand goods, and until bitten I don't tend to buy new!

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
The scratch doesn't sound like it will affect your images, but you might want to discuss it with them, as it would be something you'd note if you were selling it.
I'll do some more thinking, looking around and so on, but I do plan to go back there and bring it up.
Given that it is a full-frame lens, surely the edge sharpness should be good? I've noticed it gets soft at the edge (almost as much as the sigma kit lens) at F2.8, F4 - though it definitely gets better above that. On a FF camera I can imagine it would be rather bad. I might make a seperate thread once I get home, as I've read reviews that state it's edge sharpness is good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
The A-50/1.7 will give you aperture control from the body and full Av use.
A very good lens. $160 reflects the increased price of new lenses unfortunately.
people get excited over the 1.4 cause of that lovely big fat glass and one upmanship
The 1.7 is as good. Out of focus blur on the 1.4 probably better.
They come up occasionally on TM, much more often the M lenses which don't comunicate aperture to the camera. You have to hit the green button to stop down and meter. Not that that is a biggy
Pete
It seems as though the manual 1.4's generally go for over $100. Haven't seen an auto 1.4 yet. I could be waiting a while! But the whole reason I would be wanting it would be for low light shooting and the nice bokeh, so perhaps I should wait.
01-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #1138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Enervation Quote

It seems as though the manual 1.4's generally go for over $100. Haven't seen an auto 1.4 yet. I could be waiting a while! But the whole reason I would be wanting it would be for low light shooting and the nice bokeh, so perhaps I should wait.
The last time i saw an A-1.4 on TM was never.
The difference in low light ability is negligible and at 1.4, the depth of field is so slim that focusing is a hit and miss affair.
I'll just pop the 1.7 on and check out the bokeh for you
Pete
01-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #1139
Pentaxian

Ignore any sharpness or lack of in the flower it is a rough shot
the pink flower is about 6 inches behind.
Four 50mm lenses all wide open.
Make what you will of it

K-50/1.2
M-50/1.4
M-50/1.7
A-50/2

M- lenses have same formula as A- lens afaik

Last edited by Transit; 01-25-2010 at 10:21 PM.
01-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #1140
Pentaxian

and last but not least the FA-50/2.8 macro

« GR x GIN Social | - »