Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Winter is on its way....

Well with winter right around the corner and I'm sure I won't be the only one outside taking pictures. How do you all keep your Pentax dry while your outside shooting and what do you do when you get your baby home? Oh and I have a Pentax ist*dl.

Thanks
Jim

09-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Forum Member

i dont know what winter means for someone from colorado...
but here temperature is around 15F down to -30F in the middle of winter..

I just go out like i do in the summer with camera and lens in bag,
its only when i come back home (before entering house) that i put my camera and lens in a plastic ziploc bag so the condensation will form on the bag, not on camera..

Keep the batteries in your pocket untill you are ready to shoot! because at -30F they dont last long at all!
09-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
3 sets of batteries, two in pockets inside my coat against my chest, one in camera. I really should start carrying ziploc's like darkstorm82 suggested. my camera bag is very small and generally I would just leave it all zipped up for a few hours and then "let it out" to air out.

During snow I've often draped an extra scarf over top of the camera/tripod setup while shooting, or an extra sweatshirt I had with me. Figure I'll use a cheap towel to do the job this year, it will fit in the bag much nicer than a thick sweatshirt will!
09-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For an astrophotographer this time of the year dew is the big challenge. When you point glass at the night sky it cools and collects dew very rapidly. This past weekend I was trying to take 2 minute exposures with K110D and kit 50-200 lens. Fortunately I had a "UV protector" on since I had to wipe the glass dry after every shot. This coming weekend I'll take a cheaper lens (Sigma manual 70-210) and a dew heater (battery powered heating strip).

By January the dew problem ends and the cold becomes a big plus, the cooler the sensor the less noise for long exposures. The air is crisp and clean in the Winter so my images are sharper.

09-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well being in Quebec like Darkstorm I can tell you we get real winters here (below zero from november to late april) + plenty of snow so I do adapt a little for outdoor photography.

I'm a boy Scout leader so I like to take plenty of pictures of our outdoor activities all year round.

The ziplock trick is absolutely necessary if you don't want condensation inside your lenses and camera. I also keep a set of Lithium batteries in my camera bag for winter shoots (NiMH become useless real fast in below zero temps). Lithiums are usually good down into the -25 temp range.

It's a good idea to let the camera cool down to ambient temperature outside, keeping it warm in your jacket is a BAD idea (the switch from warm + humid inside jacket to cold air is a nightmare for your camera!)

I'm considering making some sort of "camera cover" from thin waterproof nylon to protect my camera and lenses on snowy days. If I get around to making this I'll post an instructable on how I made it.

Pat
10-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
CDP
Forum Member

I recently bought a waterproof nylon camera cover for my K100D from a company called FotoSharp. Haven't had it out yet but it looks like it'll do a good job keeping the camera dry. I've included a link ...

FotoSharp Rain Cover
10-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

the snowshoes are packed, and ready just in case I see some snow in the Canadian Rockies next week. I kind of hope that I see some in Waterton National Park

I keen keep the spare batteries close to my body, and my camera in the camera case until it has a chance to climatize.
I bring along an air blower, to blow off the camera if any snow falls on it.
The snow is dry where I live, so I'm not too worried about getting my gear wet.

I'll never (again) go for a hike without bringing along more water and food than I think I'll possibly go through
Plus a V8 juice, since it gives me a very quick energy boost (I must be lacking something contained in it in my diet )

10-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #8

Nonsense! Sumer is a-comynge in.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Well with winter right around the corner .....................
Only in those parts of the world that are 6 months behind.