Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dif between kaf2 and crippled kaf2

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between the "KAF2" and "crippled KAF2"?

Thanks
Jim

12-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QuoteQuote:
"Crippled" KAF2 mount

The "crippled" KAF2 mount is currently found only on the K10D and K100D Super. It supports the extra features of the KAF2 mount including the two power contacts for the lens. Power zoom is supported (not full support and only in K10D), as well as lenses with focus motors. Such lenses support Supersonic Drive Motor (SDM), allowing for quieter autofocus. Like the "crippled" KAF mount, it does not have a mechanical stop-down coupler/indicator and thus can only use stop-down metering on pre-A lenses.
There's some references to other mounts, so check out the site for a bit more info. Hope this helps
12-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The original KAF mount maintained the mechanical linkage for the aperture control so that M and K lenses could meter without having to push the Green or AE Lock buttons. The crippled KAF mount does away with the mechanical linkage. So now to meter you need to have the camera momentarily stop down to take a meter reading.
12-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys. I am looking at getting a film camera and I saw some of them said they use a KAF2 and some said Crippled KAF2 and I was just wanting to make sure they would play together with the lenses I already have.

Thanks
Jim

12-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Thanks for the info guys. I am looking at getting a film camera and I saw some of them said they use a KAF2 and some said Crippled KAF2 and I was just wanting to make sure they would play together with the lenses I already have.

Thanks
Jim
Jim

there are no pentax cameras with a crippled Kaf2 mount to my knowledge. The only Kaf2 mount bodies are the PZ range of cameras.

There are some with a crippled Kaf mount, including the *ist, which do not have manual apature reading pickup.
12-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Jim

there are no pentax cameras with a crippled Kaf2 mount to my knowledge. The only Kaf2 mount bodies are the PZ range of cameras.

There are some with a crippled Kaf mount, including the *ist, which do not have manual apature reading pickup.
Not true. My MZ-S has a KAF2 mount. I am not sure about the other MZ series cameras.
12-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote

Thanks
Jim
You may want to check this table for lens / camera compatibility:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart