Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help! I may have spoken too soon

In the thread below I was bragging about how well the K10D stood up to heavy weather. Unfortunately I spoke too soon. I tried this morning to delete the memory cards I had filled on Sat and Sun and I've found out to my great dismay that my menu does not work correctly. I can scroll horizontally between categories: capture, setup, playback etc, but when I try to scroll down within a category all I get is either "MEMORY CARD FULL" if I have a full memory card, "NO MEMORY CARD IN CAMERA" if there is no card in the slot, or the initial turn on info screen if there is a non full memory card in there. I cannot access any menu functions at all. The Fn button is not working properly either, the functions display on screen but the only one I can access is White Balance, the others blank out, and I cannot scroll up or down in the white balance settings. I'm stuck in ISO 400 also. Most everything else in the camera seems to work, AF, SR, etc. I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the four way rocker switch, but I'm at a loss on what to do next other than leave the battery out for a while as see if that helps.
Anybody out there with any ideas? My niece graduates tomorrow morning and I was hoping to be able to capture the moment. I can use my DS if all else fails but is there anybody who can help?

NaCl(don't brag, the gods will get you)H2O

06-25-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
In the thread below I was bragging about how well the K10D stood up to heavy weather. Unfortunately I spoke too soon. I tried this morning to delete the memory cards I had filled on Sat and Sun and I've found out to my great dismay that my menu does not work correctly. I can scroll horizontally between categories: capture, setup, playback etc, but when I try to scroll down within a category all I get is either "MEMORY CARD FULL" if I have a full memory card, "NO MEMORY CARD IN CAMERA" if there is no card in the slot, or the initial turn on info screen if there is a non full memory card in there. I cannot access any menu functions at all. The Fn button is not working properly either, the functions display on screen but the only one I can access is White Balance, the others blank out, and I cannot scroll up or down in the white balance settings. I'm stuck in ISO 400 also. Most everything else in the camera seems to work, AF, SR, etc. I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the four way rocker switch, but I'm at a loss on what to do next other than leave the battery out for a while as see if that helps.
Anybody out there with any ideas? My niece graduates tomorrow morning and I was hoping to be able to capture the moment. I can use my DS if all else fails but is there anybody who can help?

NaCl(don't brag, the gods will get you)H2O

When you left it to dry, did you have a lens on? If so, try without a lens, the moisture can't get out if you have a sealed body.
06-25-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the best with this! Be sure you take out the battery and card, keeping those doors open. Connector door too. Then let it dry.
06-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You have a formatted SD card? try it out and see if you can access to the menu.
Best of luck!

06-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

in a drunken stupor my K100D decided to mingle with a half open water bottle in my bag (consequently i actualy thought i peed my pants... yes i was very drunk, good thing it was the water bottle otherwise it would ahve been a very akward ride on the bus)

anyway,

it took it 2 days to dry before it would even turn on, took it another day for the autofocus to "magicaly start working"

now the camera works like nothing happened, and this is a K100D!

so just take everything out and as others said let it dry for a solid 2-3 days, and hope for the best.
06-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for your suggestions, I will try them, and let you know how it works out.

NaCl(that's what you get for bragging)H2O
06-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to give yoou a little hope. I have posted this story before but it really applies here

In 2004 I was kayaking with my *istD in a dry bag. Had the bag open as I was just putting my camera in, and got turned sideways by an unexpected rock in the river.

The current was strong enough to send a wave over the side, right into the dry bag.

My *istD went into a crazy mode, where I could not turn it off, and the shutter continually triggered.

Pulled out the batteries, and when I finished my paddle, went back to camp, set the camera in the sun, upside down (I assumed water came in from the top into the on off switch.

4 hours later, it worked just fine, that was 4 years ago this weekend, and 8000 shots ago. The camera has NEVER given me a problem since, and has never seen a service center. You may wish to try the same with your K10D. Also, perhaps get some silica gell and pack it with that when not in use for a while. You might want to pop up the flash, and open all the covers, as although they are water tight, that works both ways, keeping water in as well as out.

06-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hope your camera "heals itself" with a good dry time.

As for such happenings with any electronic device (cell phone, ipod, calculator, camera, etc) in case it gets wet (or even dunked), the first thing to do ALWAYS is to remove batteries as soon as possible (in case you can remove them, as there are some gadgets that you cannot remove them as an Ipod). Then pat dry everything with a clean dry towel.

Second thing, is to place device in a well ventilated area. Under the sun or with warm environment is not always recommended, since such conditions may creat "steam" inside device that may harm other things.

After several hours (day or two depending on level of wetness), replace batteries and try to turn on and test device.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, try to to turn on device as soon as it gets wet, because this might create the conditions for short circuits and other harmful situations.

RB
06-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
in a drunken stupor my K100D decided to mingle with a half open water bottle in my bag (consequently i actualy thought i peed my pants... yes i was very drunk, good thing it was the water bottle otherwise it would ahve been a very akward ride on the bus)

anyway,

it took it 2 days to dry before it would even turn on, took it another day for the autofocus to "magicaly start working"

so just take everything out and as others said let it dry for a solid 2-3 days, and hope for the best.

Now that there is funny
06-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

salty, there might be several ways for this kind of emergency.

everything i describe down here, are suppose to blow humidity away.

i think you need to put it under the sun for a while. no battery, with memory door open, and off course upside down. and then

if you have a fan, put it in front of a rotating fan, dont forget to put front mount cap. for a night.

or if you have CRT monitor put it over the monitor - the radiating heat might help awhile -

just for one night.

and then the last treatment put it in a dry box, with a lot of silica gel in it.

just hoping it sucks the moisture out of the body,

---

honestly i never had a dslr got splash from water but my cellular phone had it often.

Last edited by fearview; 06-25-2008 at 12:43 PM.
06-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What went wrong?
06-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

throw a packet of silica gel in the mirror box, put body cap on body, place lens in front of window to cook
06-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Salty, that's really a shame! I'll second the advice above to remove the battery, open the various doors, let ventilation and sunshine do their thing, and stuff a few silica gel bags into the body cavity and the battery compartment as well. This may take a few days, so get out the DS, and best of luck!

FWIW, I guess a sealed body needs to be used with sealed lenses as well in the kind of deluge you shot in over the weekend.
06-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

anyway,

That is a classic story!
06-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That sucks there Salty, I sure hope that a little drying time helps.

I took a nasty fall over the winter with one of my un-sealed cameras, and just a little drying time was all that it needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
What went wrong?
Salty would be talking about this event