Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
35mm and 80mm tilt shift lens for Pentax

I stumbled upon this website that has tilt shift lenses for pentax and other brands too.
Here is the link for the 35mm t/s lens.

MC 35 mm Tilt & Shift Pentax lens

09-04-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You could also look to Hartblei for tilt/shift lenses: HARTBLEI | Tilt-Shift Lenses & Medium Format Cameras
09-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will be unhappy with shift lenses on your digital SLRs. I used a Pentax 28/3.5 shift while I was in Chicago on the MZ-S, and the lens was borderline for adequate field of view. I would have much preferred a 24mm or even 20mm shift lens. This equates to using an 18mm shift on dSLR sensor and wanting a 16mm or 14mm lens.

Here is an alternate proposal to the shift lenses. Buy the DA 14mm to use on your k20d, and use post processing to correct the perspective distortion. You should be able to get quite large prints out of the k20d with this lens, even with the detail lost in the perspective correction. for that matter, it works quite well on the k10d. Check out these three shots:
DxO Distortion Tests - a set on Flickr
09-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

About shift, I concour. I built from a 18mm Olympus OM and a tilt-shift bellow a tilt shift wide for my K10D, and the result was... useless. Because there was no real increase of deep of field with tilt (as it was enough plenty with a little closing of the diaphragm, while I can have better shift option shooting wider and correcting in PS.

On the other hand, I have bought a Harblei 120/2,8 super-rotator for close up shots of flower and it's great, used with close up additional lenses from Nikon (5T and 6T).

09-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What do you want a tilt shift lens for? If its mostly for the shifting, then you might as well do it digitally, you can get the exact same effect in software. If you want it for the tilt, or for a combination of tilting and shifting, then you probably need a real one, although depending on what you do, a lensbaby 3g might serve you well.
09-07-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's the thing with post processing your perspective correction in software - you loose a large percentage of your image.

To those recommending digital correction using software I would like to see YOUR results. I've been largely if not completely disappointed using software methodology.

Disclaimer - although I have the Pentax shift lense for sale in the Marketplace this post is not biased.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 09-07-2008 at 03:12 AM. Reason: added disclaimer
09-07-2008, 03:41 AM   #7
MrA

Surely, anyone seriously wanting wide shift-lens functionality isn't going to be shooting Pentax anyway. I mean, not if its for architecture/perspective correction, the most common reason for wanting wide shift functionality. They're already going to be using the Canon 24mm Tilt-Shift on their full frame Canon DSLR (= 16mm 'equivalent' on a Pentax DSLR), having invested some serious cash into doing so. So far as I can tell, you can't make (28mm=) 42mm or (35mm=) 53mm 'equivalent' lenses do the same thing a 24mm can do.

So presumably, anyone using Shift or T-S lenses must be doing other things with them. Depth of Field /focal plane manipulation, for instance. And photographing other subjects to architecture and landscapes.