Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #1

Shoot professionaly with Pentax?

Do any Pros use Pentax DSLR as there main Camera? Or do they stick with Nikon and Canon?

Thanks

09-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some prefer Mamiya or Hasselblad.
09-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #3

I haven't seen any in person yet unfortunately. I live in paparazzi land and have yet to see anything but Canon and Nikon among the pro's shooting what seems like a million frames a second while reloading their compact flash cards like mad men.
09-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
I haven't seen any in person yet unfortunately. I live in paparazzi land and have yet to see anything but Canon and Nikon among the pro's shooting what seems like a million frames a second while reloading their compact flash cards like mad men.
Most Pentax shooters don't like shooting Paris's nasty labias

let's face it based on advertising dollars Canon and Nikon would have the masses think, they are the only players in town.

09-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ya my wifes father is a pro and he only uses Nikon. I have yet to see a Pro use Pentax. What would be your opinion on using a K20D as a pro camera for shooting weddings and portraits?.
09-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinJ Quote
Ya my wifes father is a pro and he only uses Nikon. I have yet to see a Pro use Pentax. What would be your opinion on using a K20D as a pro camera for shooting weddings and portraits?.
Do it all the time.
09-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Do any Pros use Pentax DSLR as there main Camera? Or do they stick with Nikon and Canon?

Thanks
There are pros but not so much in the fields of high FPS shooting like the paparizzi require and for sports.

09-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
I just want to make sure that if I invested in new lenses and other accesories and start shooting portraits or weddings in the future or go pro later on (after I practice and learn everything I can) I would not be wasting money with having to switch to Canon or Nikon. Which I realy don't want to because I like the look and feel of the pentax cameras.
09-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
James Kerrick does: Kerrick James - EXPLORE, BEAUTY, TASTE, ADVENTURE, PEOPLE, COMMERCE, EDITORIAL SAMPLES

Ben uses Pentax a lot also: PublishedWorks Photo Gallery by Benjamin Kanarek at pbase.com

There are several people on this site that are professional photographers in addition to Ben. Though not a professional photographer, I use Pentax for scientific illustration. I have for years.

Edit: When shooting with the Paparazzi, I prefer a 1911A1 and plenty of magazines.
09-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Edit: When shooting with the Paparazzi, I prefer a 1911A1 and plenty of magazines.
Remmington 870 or 1100 works better in crowds.
09-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you might go pro one day, you should get out of Pentax now.

No point in learning how to be a phototog on some lame old Pentax. We all know its all about the gear. The pros are pros because they use a Canikon. Nothing to do with skill training, or artistic ability. Put a pentax in their hand, and they have the skill of the family dog on the piano.

Just by your post I can tell you need the Nik*n D3. Nothing less will do. Buy that, and you shall be a pro photog next week.

I on the otherhand will never be a pro. I just like my K10D too much. Such is my loss.
09-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I just want to make sure that if I invested in new lenses and other accesories and start shooting portraits or weddings in the future or go pro later on (after I practice and learn everything I can) I would not be wasting money with having to switch to Canon or Nikon. Which I realy don't want to because I like the look and feel of the pentax cameras.

Dont forget one of the main things... we have the best glass and if Pentax keep to their name they will continue to build DSLR's compatible to current lenses.

Neil
09-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
If you might go pro one day, you should get out of Pentax now.

No point in learning how to be a phototog on some lame old Pentax. We all know its all about the gear. The pros are pros because they use a Canikon. Nothing to do with skill training, or artistic ability. Put a pentax in their hand, and they have the skill of the family dog on the piano.

Just by your post I can tell you need the Nik*n D3. Nothing less will do. Buy that, and you shall be a pro photog next week.

I on the otherhand will never be a pro. I just like my K10D too much. Such is my loss.
Are you being sarcastic?
09-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks
Do a couple of searches / read through some older threads, this has come up before (I'm not being rude but one of the previous threads had lists of quite a number of pentax pros).

not a lot are real high profile in photographer circles except Ben and maybe a few others. There are very very few sports / paparazzi though, although Mark Dimalanta comes to mind.

I know a number of people like me who are semi pro (photography income = about 2/3 of my normal income (and more than I earn't altogether 3 years ago)

Phil
09-08-2008, 03:06 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Dont forget one of the main things... we have the best glass and if Pentax keep to their name they will continue to build DSLR's compatible to current lenses.

Neil
Thats one of the main things that attracted me to pentax was the fact that you can virtually use all of the pentax lenses. When I was getting advice from the clerk at the camera store they said the same thing the pentax lenses are extremely good. One of the best things to know is that if I ever feel the need to upgrade my camera body to the latest one I know that all my current lenses will fit. One thing I am not looking at doing is being a paparazzi way to crowded and you are usually hated by people. As far as cameras go no that I know there are pros that use and love there pentax, I have now reason to change. I have a K200d and love the thing. its heavy, weather sealed, fits perfectly in my hand.