Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tethered shooting....

Okay, please correct me if I am wrong.....my understanding is that tethered shooting refers to the camera displaying the image directly onto a computer in lieu of an SD card....For some reason I recall reading that the K10D can do this wirelessly... is this true? If so, how do I do it? Do I have to purchase software or what? Thanks for the help.

10-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron1971 Quote
Okay, please correct me if I am wrong.....my understanding is that tethered shooting refers to the camera displaying the image directly onto a computer in lieu of an SD card....For some reason I recall reading that the K10D can do this wirelessly... is this true? If so, how do I do it? Do I have to purchase software or what? Thanks for the help.
To the best of my knowledge, no, the K10/K20 have to be wired to the computer for tethered shooting.
I did see an SD card on some geek site that has a wireless transmitter built into it for WiFi or some such data transmission. This might allow what you are asking for.

Side note to Pentax: Perhaps on the next model you could arrange for the Live View image to transmit to the Remote Assistant software during tethered operation.
10-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
So, all I need is the Remote Assistant software and what a USB cable? Does the camera come with the software? I don't use the Pentax software so I may be asking stupid questions....sorry in advance.....*
10-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron1971 Quote
So, all I need is the Remote Assistant software and what a USB cable? Does the camera come with the software? I don't use the Pentax software so I may be asking stupid questions....sorry in advance.....*
Your camera came with a USB cable to tether it (I believe the camera side is a plain mini USB plug and a CD of software. I don't use the Pentax software either, but the supplied CD is the first place I'd look for the Remote Assistant.
Failing that, it is probably available as a download fro one of the Pentax websites.

10-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks I'm gonna give it a shot.....
10-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

pretty sure you need to download the Remote Assistant software.

I had a play with it but had two issues, firstly it is not the best bit of software (can't remember what but it annoyed me) and secondly, I have no use for it however it did 'work'
10-20-2008, 03:15 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The Remote Assistant is available on PENTAX : Home for free download to K10D/K20D users.

However, the K10D must have the 1.20 or later firmware installed, available at the same site.

10-20-2008, 07:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Terje-L Quote
The Remote Assistant is available on PENTAX : Home for free download to K10D/K20D users. ...
And....

If it like the Pentax istD software I use with my K1x0Ds you must have the CDROM version to install the downloaded free upgrade version.
10-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
I downloaded the software, it works but I have to admit, the screen size (small) and IQ really aren't all that impresive. I will keep playing with it and try the CD upgrade install. I have no real need for it either but I still think it's kinda cool.
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I have no real need for it either but I still think it's kinda cool.
Someone was asking if there was not some software that was able to show all the current settings so that he could "set" everything before going out. This would be one.
10-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Someone was asking if there was not some software that was able to show all the current settings so that he could "set" everything before going out. This would be one.
I'd use the camera menu for that.....
10-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I'd use the camera menu for that.....
Most of us do, but apparently he wanted to see all the settings at once.