Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #1

Split screen focus...

Hi,
I have a K10D and an A50:1.4 and 1.7. I am an archaeologist and take a lot of artifact photography, and while the product I get with my camera and lenses are amazing for this purpose (although I am sure I could get better), I find that focusing (manually) is a challenge without a split screen, resulting in a lot of DNG photos with minor focus adjustments that I have to wade through in lightroom. For me, blowing things up to a ridiculous degree does often matter. I just read in one of the lens reviews that someone changed their focusing to a split screen? How does one do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jess

12-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Basically you start out by deciding if you want a $30 Chinese knock-off from eBay (I have one in my K100D and it works fine) or if you want a $100+ screen from Katz Eye (have it in my K20D).

The actual installation process is extremely easy and you can do it yourself in just a few minutes.
12-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks very much! Now another thing that I have to pine for in a recession! Maybe a Cristmas gift for myself. Jess
12-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I can recommend the Katzeye version, it brings a whole new meaning for me with manaul focus (takes me back to the LX days).

Bright, fast, easy focus, when you consider how much money is tied up in the rest of your equipment, treat yourself, you won't look back.

12-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Basically you start out by deciding if you want a $30 Chinese knock-off from eBay (I have one in my K100D and it works fine) or if you want a $100+ screen from Katz Eye (have it in my K20D).

The actual installation process is extremely easy and you can do it yourself in just a few minutes.

I've been dwelling on this for months and just ordered a $30 screen earlier today. I don't need it bad enough to spend $100+ for one...
12-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Forum Member

Let me know please

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
I've been dwelling on this for months and just ordered a $30 screen earlier today. I don't need it bad enough to spend $100+ for one...
Let me know please how you made out. I was asking about them also awhile back and was just wondering about quality.
12-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
will do...

Will do...
Make take a little while, however...

12-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djayvo Quote
Let me know please how you made out. I was asking about them also awhile back and was just wondering about quality.
I have one, seems pretty good so far, I think its actually one of the $20 screens, I recommend getting ones that come with the little tweezers to change the screen with, mine didn't and I found the screen changing procedure less than "extremely easy". Not sure how well it works yet (looks great through it, my test shots worked fine, not as bright as my MG viewfinder, about the same as the stock K10D screen) since I've been shooting my film camera with my first roll of real black and white film that I got from my friends dad along with a bunch of random film (including one roll of kodak p3200 thats 5 years older than me, not sure how thats gonna work out )

Last edited by nixcamic; 12-08-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Added some info, atempted to clarify.
12-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jess Quote
Hi,
I have a K10D and an A50:1.4 and 1.7. I am an archaeologist and take a lot of artifact photography, and while the product I get with my camera and lenses are amazing for this purpose (although I am sure I could get better), I find that focusing (manually) is a challenge without a split screen, resulting in a lot of DNG photos with minor focus adjustments that I have to wade through in lightroom. For me, blowing things up to a ridiculous degree does often matter. I just read in one of the lens reviews that someone changed their focusing to a split screen? How does one do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jess
An alternative with Pentax cameras is snap-in-focus (catch-in-focus with k20d). I often use it. The basics are to pre-focus the lens to get the field of view you want. Set the camera in AF.S mode. Back off until the subject is out of focus, then slowly creep forward with the shutter button held down, and the focusing spot on the place you want the focus to be centered. With your A lens you should be able to use all the focus spots, I think. With my M lenses I can only use the center point, and crop later.

Hope this helps a bit.
12-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djayvo Quote

of course, it apparently shipped earlier today bu the shipping window is 7-20 days...
12-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Has anyone experienced a problem with center focus autofocusing since switching to one of the split screens. The screen is obviously not going to change the camera's ability to autofocus, but I was concerned that it might somehow distort the appearance of the in-focus indicator leading me to have it focus some place other than where intended. That little red indicator on my K10D is similar to a gun sight, and the area covered by it is actually quite small. I think it's safe to say that 95+% of my pictures are going to be made in autofocus, and of those, 100% will be made using center focus only. I would, however, like to have the ability to accurately focus manually in low-light or other situations where autofocus might struggle. Moreover, I would hate for the screen to cut down on light transmission to the point that the split screen was actually defeating the purpose for which it was installed, ie better focusing in low-light conditions.

CN
12-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
I would hate for the screen to cut down on light transmission to the point that the split screen was actually defeating the purpose for which it was installed, ie better focusing in low-light conditions.

CN
It is my understanding that the autofocus sensors are actually beneath/behind the mirror and the screen and its ability to pass light has nothing to do with it. I may be mistaken, though.
12-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It is my understanding that the autofocus sensors are actually beneath/behind the mirror and the screen and its ability to pass light has nothing to do with it. I may be mistaken, though.
You are correct. The mirror is partial-silvered with a portion of the light going to the AF detector and the rest going to the viewfinder. The next time you are blowing your sensor clean, take a look at the bottom of the mirror box and you will see the AF detector.

The light lost to the AF is one of the reasons why our dSLRs have such dim viewfinders. My K10D's viewfinder is even dimmer than my ancient Ricoh Singlex TLS.

Steve
12-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I failed to see the ambiguity in my question when I raised it in my initial post. I wasn't concerned that the split screen's light transmission (or lack thereof) would have an effect on the camera's auto-focusing ability, but on whether or not I would be able to see the image well enough in low-light conditions to properly focus manually. I mean if the image in the view-finder is too dark (and I have read some postings in the past that say not only is the is-focus indicator a bit off-center with their new screen but also that the image is hard to see when the aperture is closed down to say f8 or so) then I'm not going to be able to see it well enough to focus manually any better than the camera can automatically. I guess the bottom line question is, does anyone regret having installed a split screen (Katz eye or e-bay) in their camera enough to replace it with the original screen.

CN
12-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jess Quote
I am an archaeologist and take a lot of artifact photography, and while the product I get with my camera and lenses are amazing for this purpose (although I am sure I could get better), I find that focusing (manually) is a challenge without a split screen, resulting in a lot of DNG photos with minor focus adjustments that I have to wade through in lightroom.
Probably the best split screen it a KatzEye, and they are available online here: Pentax DSLRs - Katz Eye Optics

The focus screen in your camera is changeable. You simply replace the current one with one of these screens and you will be off and running. I am thinking about doing it to my second body, and have actually done it to my PZ-1. I've also changed the matte screen in my K10D and it really is a snap.

If you are uncomfotable doing this, I am sure LeZot Camera down at 34 Church would do it for you for a very inexpensive price. One of the techs there that I've talked with has and loves a K10D.

Jess, just a comment on you profession and location. I have a degree in anthropology from the University of Vermont in Burlington. Are you associated with that fine University? I married a girl from South Burlington and I summer in Colchester. I will actually be up there for Christmas. (I'll even offer to help install the new split screen if you'll show me 'round the lab.)

Anyway... you do what I went to undergraduate school to do, and you live in the place I would probably choose to live if I had that choice now. Nice. Good on ya!

Seaain