Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2008, 03:59 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
Yes, this is what I was thinking too, I just thought it odd that they'd offer the Lensbabies with both Pentax mounts.

Mike
Well, Mike, there are those of us who shoot both M42 and K-mount bodies...

02-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First Lensbaby Pics

A standard, two-headed dragon:
Pentax 16-45 @ 45mm @ f11 @ 2 sec ISO 400

Lensbaby 3-G @ f2.0 @ 1/15 sec ISO 400

This lens gives unusual results, then again I'm not used to it.

I did all test shots @ f2.0; I'll have to do a more complete test at different apertures.

I'll also see if I can get a pretty face to pose for me.

A very different look for sure.

Anyone else have a Lensbaby?

What do you use it for most; still-life, floral, portraits?

Mike
03-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did an aperture test. Here are the results.

Just an ordinary orange. This shot doesn't look that special to me. The Lensbaby is actually pretty sharp in this image. F4.0 @ 1/4 sec.

Now it starts to get interesting. Going backwards from f22. F22 @ 6 seconds

F5.6 @ .7 sec.

F2.0 @ 1/20 sec. LOOK AT THAT BOKEH!

F2.0 @ 1/4 sec.

F2.0 @ 1/15 sec.

F4.0 @ 1/4 sec.

Observations I've made:

1.) This lens takes some getting used to as far as focusing is concerned, and especially in regard to moving the sweet spot where you want it. This is the Lensbaby 3-G, which locks in place. I don't know how the owners of the other, non-locking Lensbabies manage to hold the lens in place, and release the shutter if the camera isn't on a tripod. I don't think I could.
2.) F2.0 is very hard to focus accurately; f4.0 a lot easier.
3.) The bokeh at f2.0 - f4.0 is very odd, yet pleasing.
4.) Focused accurately, this lens is pretty sharp in the sweet spot. I just might buy a 37mm Soft F/X filter to diffuse that area a bit.

These were borderline macro shots, but judging by these results, I think this lens has real potential as a very artsy portrait lens.

I like this lens.

Any comments?

Mike
P.S. All exposures were made with window light coming from the left of the frame on a very gray, rainy day. Sensitivity 400 for all.
07-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's been a while, but I have a few more photos to add for those that are interested.
I haven't had the chance to get a pretty face in front of my camera, so a couple of beat-up old figurines of Laurel & Hardy will have to do for now.
All shots were taken with the K100D, Pentax SMC 55 1.8 @ f2.8 @ 1/125 sec. Metz 36C-2 flash fired into a Sto-fen omni bounce diffuser.
No filter.

With a Tiffen Warm Soft FX 3 filter.

With a Tiffen Gold Diffusion #1 filter.

I just bought the Gold Diffusion filter, and while I like the results it gives, I still like the Warm Soft FX the best. It just has a soft, smooth look to it.

Enjoy.

Mike

07-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #50

Hi Mike, good work. I think you analyzed the results of the test correctly. I wonder if your choices would be the same if you repeat the test with a live model.
(hint hint, if you ever get some time to spare)

I used to own a 1hr lab up to the end of the film era. To me only filter that looked right with portraits was the Nikon soft 1. I have not seen any Nikon soft 1 portraits from a digital. It was a surprise to me that you did not have one in your bag with the other filters.

I like the look of the Pentax soft filter. I was searching for a similar looking soft filter so that I can post process in RAW. You were a big help. Thanks.
07-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #51

Sorry Mike, I was referring to the violin photos. I was excited to see the test. Did not see the rest.

Nico
07-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nico Quote
Hi Mike, good work. I think you analyzed the results of the test correctly. I wonder if your choices would be the same if you repeat the test with a live model.
(hint hint, if you ever get some time to spare)

I used to own a 1hr lab up to the end of the film era. To me only filter that looked right with portraits was the Nikon soft 1. I have not seen any Nikon soft 1 portraits from a digital. It was a surprise to me that you did not have one in your bag with the other filters.

I like the look of the Pentax soft filter. I was searching for a similar looking soft filter so that I can post process in RAW. You were a big help. Thanks.
Nico, glad you're enjoying the thread.

I probably used almost every other soft filter out there, but I never got around to buying a Nikon soft 1, a filter about which I too had heard good things.

Anyway, here are two more shots. Actually it's only one shot I took with my Lensbaby, and then copied with the in-camera digital soft filter.
Lensbaby 3G @ f4.0 @ 1/4 sec.

Same shot with the K100D's in-camera soft filter #1.

Once you get used to this lens, it will give you predictable results. I like how the first two red stripes are sharp, but the bottom one is starting to turn to mush, and by the time you look down the flagpole to the mount, it is mush.

Also, the red stripes seem to have shifted to an almost orange-red in the digitally filtered shot.

Does anyone else notice this?

I guess this color shift can work for or against you depending upon what result you're after.

I must continue testing.

Mike

07-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Much appreciated, Mike. This has been an interesting and informative thread.
07-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Much appreciated, Mike. This has been an interesting and informative thread.
You're very welcome, Chistine.

I'll keep updating the thread whenever I have something worthwhile to add.

Mike