Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

What is your favorite K10D Jpeg setting?

I thought it might be interesting to see how our tastes vary and differ by hearing how different people have set their menu's to handle Jpegs. Do you use natural or bright? How do you like your contrast, sharpening set etc? I'm wondering if we'll be able to see a general trend on what are community thinks needs to be set in the menu in order to get a nice jpeg straight out of the K10D without pp. It might be interesting to see how many of us use +3 sharpening and so on.

07-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow, no replies? I guess everyone but you and me use RAW...

I actually vary between natural and bright based on time of day or weather (bright used in overcast/rainy days and often mid-day). When I use bright, I don't increase saturation, but usually have sharpness up one. I haven't settled on which level of contrast I like most, from -1, 0, or +1.

When I use natural, I increase saturation +1, rarely +2 as that become obvious and 'unnatural', and sharpnedd +1 or +2. I don't care for +3. Again, I'm not sure on which contrast I like the most.
07-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i leave mine on fatery setting i found no need to sharping or any thing
07-19-2007, 01:13 AM   #4

I use factory settings, and make relevant changes in post-processing.

07-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would not increase sharpening at all. (Little difference anyway between 0 and 3+ anyway) It is better off sharpening the images in editing programmes.

A tad increase in contrast like 1+ works well for me
07-19-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I too leave it on the default settings (natural mode & sharpness etc. at 0). When I need to make adjustments I make them in PP.
07-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There was a post here while back with a link to DCRP Review: Pentax K10D where they voice their opinion about jpeg settings:

"...So what's the bottom line here? Shooting JPEGs straight out of the box isn't a good idea, as they'll be soft and dull in color. You can resolve this by shooting RAW, increasing in-camera sharpening/contrast/saturation, or just using the bright image tone setting. Once you do I think you'll be more than pleased with the K10's output."

Image appearance is somewhat personal, and will vary from one to another, but this review gives a nice visual comparison between different setting of the camera (that is indeed if you choose not to shoot in RAW) Its about 3/4 way down the page...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
D

07-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I currently have mine set for bright with +2 sharpness and +1 contrast.

Set aside some time one day and shoot the same subject/object several times with diferent settings. Use a tripod if you have one. That's what I did to come to my current settings.

I may change them again but the current settings are working fine for me at the moment.
07-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I tend to use natural with saturation, sharpness, and contrast set to either 0 or +1 depending on the scene. Usually 0 for people and perhaps all three at +1 for objects. If I think +1 isn't going to be enough a particular scene, I use RAW instead.

stewart
07-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
There was a post here while back with a link to DCRP Review: Pentax K10D where they voice their opinion about jpeg settings:
Thanks for this link, reading it again has motivated me to try other settings than the default. I'll probably try contrast +1, sharpness +1, and experiment with extended bracketing a bit.

Last edited by RBellavance; 07-19-2007 at 05:00 PM.
07-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I like

+1 sat
-3 contrast
+3 sharpening

works perfect.
i have a job to do tonight that i think ill do in jpeg.

to learn what i want my jpg settings to be i shot in RAW+ for a while and would go to photoshop and do some pixel peeping, then tweak my settings,
then repeat until i was happy.
07-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm another one who uses default settings, then fixes things later in PSP. If I'm doing something serious I use PEF.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 07-19-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Fix Typo
07-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

When I got my K10D ... I sat it on the bench ... and took shots of the kitchen with natural light coming in ... boring yes.

BUT ... i experimented with different sharpness/saturation/contrast settings ... although keeping aperture and SS the same. In the end ... I found the factory default zero settings to be the best .... for that condition though.

I guess in the end it changes on the type of shooting you will do ... the time of day ... the weather at the time ... etc.

Take a few test shots prior to shooting at the time and adjust accordingly I saw ... time consuming I guess ... but some people can be picky.

Although now that I have start PPing some of my shots ... I find it easier to adjust later on on the PC on the "larger image" ... so I think I'll just leave settings on factory ... and just adjust WB accordingly for the shot.
07-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #14
Forum Member

RE:

I Only use natural mode:

+1 sat
+1 contrast
+2 sharpness
07-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
wow, no replies? I guess everyone but you and me use RAW...
I was going to reply with "disabled".

RAW workflows have gotten so easy and memory has gotten so cheap that there really isn't any reason to shoot JPEG any more.

If you're from the "OMG I have to get these posted TONIGHT!" crowd, that's what batch RAW-to-JPEG conversion is for. Set the converter to auto WB (or camera WB) and auto exposure and then fire and forget if you're in a hurry.