Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Horst Faas: Requiem

Requiem
Horst Faas b. Berlin, 1933, died 10th May, 2012

Sad news today that legendary photojournalist and picture editor Horst Faas has died. This article was the first I saw, and was written by Richard Pyle, who co-authored Lost over Laos with Faas, a book on their experiences in the Vietnam War, and their return to the Laos/Vietnam border to search for the site of a 1971 helicopter crash that killed leading photojournalists and friends Larry Burrows and Henri Huet, amongst others. I’d highly recommend this book.

Noted as Faas with camera, unknown date

Faas was a great photographer himself, winning two Pulitzer prizes, but was also a principal photo editor of his generation. While he was an Associated Press bureau chief in Saigon Faas insisted on the dissemination of many of what would become the iconic images of the Vietnam conflict – think Eddie Adams’ Saigon street execution, or Nick Ut’s napalm girl running down the road. Haas went against convention to have these images put on the wire. He has also frequently been described as a father-like figure to many of the great Vietnam-era photographers. He continued in a career with AP for fifty years. Faas has also been central in recording the memory of many Vietnam photographers from both sides, publishing and being the subject of many books, and helping to create a permanent exhibition in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City, Requiem, a tribute to photographers of the Vietnam/American/French wars from all sides of the conflicts.

Image by Horst Faas, 1964

I visited Requiem in 2009, which is housed in the War Remnants Museum. It’s basic but poignant in the usual Vietnamese way. An amazing thing to see. Here are some interesting snaps, rather relevant today (in this post only the images from the museum are by me).

Image by Henri Huet, friend of Faas, killed 1971

Top LIFE photographer Burrows, friend of Faas, killed 1971

Image from Larry Burrows' seminal 'One Ride with Yankee Papa 13' series

Burrows on Yankee Papa 13

See below

The kind of things Faas dealt with as bureau chief

By Peter Arnett, legendary Kiwi journalist and friend of Faas

Capa, probably most famous of all war photographers, and the first killed in the Vietnam conflicts

Commemorative wall for photojournalists killed on all sides (some interesting spellings too)
It’s been interesting to read some of the reactions from top photojournalists today in article comments and through facebook. I learnt about Faas’ death via Joao Silva, another great photographer and member of the Bang-Bang Club (another book I’d recommend, and it discusses Faas too) who lost both his legs in Afghanistan last year, a reminder of the hazards and bravery people like Faas faced in taking their images. Nick Ut, who’s still at AP, has also written some touching things.

Celebrating Nick Ut's Pulitzer. Ut centre, Faas to his immediate left

Ut and Faas more recently

What I find especially touching is that Faas, born in Berlin in 1933, had a childhood dominated by war, but then spent much of the rest of his life trying to show how terrible it was to others. He was one of the defining individuals in developing what photojournalism meant in the second half the twentieth century.

From Requiem exhibition

Image by Horst Faas, 1965

The camera of Larry Burrows, photojournalist and friend of Faas,
recovered from the site of 1970 helicopter crash in 1996.
Further information:
Remembering Larry Burrows
The Saigon Execution
Journalists revisit Vietnam
Journalists come home

Pyle on death
NYT on death
TIME on death

I’ll be putting up some more images of Requiem later on my blog

Last edited by CWyatt; 05-10-2012 at 07:27 PM.
05-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have now updated this post by adding a short article about the Pulitzers and Horst Faas by the famed journalist David Halberstam on my blog.
05-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great stuff. I am still getting through some of the links but just wanted to say thanks for posting.
05-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers, I've also updated the blog version of this with more links too.

05-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, great post - may he RIP
05-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers, also a good excuse to re-examine those snaps from Saigon and some of the books I have that reference Faas.

If anyone is interested in more, the (also rather legendary) Dave Burnett has written a short piece on Faas.