Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #1

K-30 or K-5

If you had to choose between the K-5 or the new K-30, which would you pick and why? Both seem pretty much the same size and have very similar specs.

K-5 advantages:
- Stereo mic port
- Metal body
- better battery life

K-30 advantages:
- better AF
- AA battery option
- ??

05-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #2

This isn't news or a rumor.

The K-30 isn't for everyone. Neither is the K-5. I'd say give it time and be patient as initial reviews roll in. Then make the decision.
05-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #3

I'd love to upgrade from my K10 with either.
However

Live view do I need it, in some situations maybe?
Do I want video? actually no, I never got into it, we have 2 VCs not being used in cupboards.

My desire is

ISO settings that work correctly! none of those silly numbers that do sod all!
Good pixal count. I think most are happy with 16m for quality and storage and that seems to be the norm
Good AF sensors can it give an extra edge with some of the "fussier" lenses in low light and stop the hunting.

Actually I'd like an IstD with speed! Is that far fetched?
I loved it especially the view display on the side unlike the K10's underneath which I still ignore to read.

Alan
05-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
Forum Member

The K-30 price tag is close to the K-5 price, after discounts and cash-backs due to K-5's EOL.

The K-5 has an additional LCD on the top which provides the most used information, as speed, aperture, ISO, ... No need to use the screen on the back.

I usually buy the model before the last one. The two main benefits are: lower price, strong feed-back from users.

05-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The K-30 has enhanced video control and updated sensor and image processor, plus peak focus to help guide manual focusing in live view mode. It is true that the K-5 has a magnesium alloy body, but the K30 has a stainless steel chassi with polycarbonete outside and is similar to the well respected K10D and K20D in this regard.

The K-30 looses out on some minor functions, like auto white balance bracketing and a dedicated access to depth-of-field preview.
05-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if the shutter is as smooth as on the K-5 and K-7?
05-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
If you had to choose between the K-5 or the new K-30, which would you pick and why?
I would choose K-5 successor

05-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I would choose K-5 successor
I want the K-5 successor too With the K30 outperforming the K-5 in quite a few areas, the K-5 successor just has to be a hell of a camera, and it has to arrive pretty soon, too.
05-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't be selling my K-5 until I know what's coming next.
But with what I've read about the K-30 my K10D is officially on notice.
05-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Isn't the K-30 only 12-bit while the K-5 is 14-bit.
Does anyone knows when the 14-bit kicks in? Only at iso 80 on the K-5?

I'd personally wait until they drop the other shoe (K-5 replacement).
05-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Does anyone knows when the 14-bit kicks in? Only at iso 80 on the K-5?
I don't know, but ISO 80 definitely gives improved color on the K-5. Perhaps the technical reason for it is related to this.
05-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 obviously. It's got both AF and AE-L buttons, top display, grip contacts and very likely superior build. I also suspect the ISO button on the K-30 will turn out crippled. (Maybe not displayed in the finder, maybe not even controllable with a wheel.) Probably quieter shutter too.

Edit: And the K-30 has no PC ("X") contact. I actually use that, but I guess many people don't.

Last edited by drougge; 05-22-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: More.
05-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
K-5 obviously. It's got both AF and AE-L buttons, top display, grip contacts and very likely superior build. I also suspect the ISO button on the K-30 will turn out crippled. (Maybe not displayed in the finder, maybe not even controllable with a wheel.) Probably quieter shutter too.
The ISO button will probably work the same as it does on the K-01. Give it a whack, then make the adjustment (displayed on the screen) using the back wheel. So not really crippled at all.

Separate AE and AF lock buttons seem a bit superfluous to me when you can hold AF with the shutter release button and lock AE with the other one.

Given the capabilities of the K-30, and the soon-to-be-announced high-level APS-C successor, I would get the former, or wait for the latter rather than buying a K-5 now.
05-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I won't be selling my K-5 until I know what's coming next

I'll take the K-5any day of the week. Reasons - especially due to the construction and build quality; not that the K30 would be hurting. Just that the K-5 much more professionally built with a lot more needed features. The top display is quite welcome.

I'll probably wait for the next version of the K-5 to come out, and still not get it on the first week of release. I'll wait perhaps a month or two to see the results and see the hands on reviews
05-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
K-5 obviously. It's got both AF and AE-L buttons, top display, grip contacts and very likely superior build. I also suspect the ISO button on the K-30 will turn out crippled. (Maybe not displayed in the finder, maybe not even controllable with a wheel.) Probably quieter shutter too...

What he said...still K-5 for now. Grip is a biggie, as are LCD, better build, more buttons, and better sensor for stills. Unless the AF on the K-30 is WAAY better, I'd pick K-5 or wait a bit longer.

Last edited by jmg257; 05-22-2012 at 05:43 AM.