Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon beat us to it

A suggestion I made in a thread a while ago... Was told not possible... Nikon have put a patent in (possibly around the same time...)

Nikon patents a digital back for 35mm film SLR cameras | Nikon Rumors

Imagine that on to one of the many Mx's, ME supers etc in circulation... Could have been a total game changer for Pentax....

12-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, Pentax should/could of done it first.
This will probably be a game changer.
12-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool- but it's probably still an early concept. Might be several years before this goes commercial, if it ever does.

With that said, a digital K1000 would be sexy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I actually doubt that it will go commercial, Nikon has too much to loose to change the way the Camera market works. But who knows the future and maybe this will be a backup plan if Canon steals market shares in the future?

12-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Don't forget, if you patent something it'll often act as a spoiler to prevent any other company going down that route.
12-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

"a digital back that will transform a 35mm film SLR camera into a DSLR."

From a practical standpoint why would you want to?
12-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Don't forget, if you patent something it'll often act as a spoiler to prevent any other company going down that route.
That is what I was thinking, they don't want anyone hurting their DSLR market by turning their old film bodies into digital bodies.

12-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
That is what I was thinking, they don't want anyone hurting their DSLR market by turning their old film bodies into digital bodies.
Exactly my thought! It looks like an extremely unambitious patent in my eyes, there is nothing really revolutionary about it. It is more likely another bump in the road for other companies aiming to make a project like this, Nikon would be happy suing something even remotely close to their patent. This is what I dislike about patents, they should simply protect good ideas and promote development, but this is reality.
12-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
"a digital back that will transform a 35mm film SLR camera into a DSLR."

From a practical standpoint why would you want to?
Most of the places in my area that developed film have stopped or are about to. In order for me to use my film SLR's I have to either send my film rolls out or use a very expensive local place that caters mostly to pros and charges accordingly. I'm probably looking at $10 a roll just to develop negatives soon. I don't have room for a dark room here so I really can't do it myself. I love my SLR's though. Assuming it didn't cost several thousand dollars I'd buy something like this in a heartbeat. Being able to use all my SLR bodies like that is something I'd just love. All the advantages of being able to work with a Spottie or a KX only with digital capacity? Way cool...
12-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It is appealing if implemented well, however, even if it becomes commercial, I don't see it as any threat to current DSLRs, even for half the cost it can be solely a niche.
people will still buy what they think is the latest and greatest.
12-18-2012, 04:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think 'game changer' is a bit of an exaggeration. The market for this will be tiny.
12-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Being able to use all my SLR bodies like that is something I'd just love.
My guess is that it's a kludge job.

I would expect that even mounted on my F2 it wouldn't give results as good as any number of current 500 buck consumer grade DSLR one could pick up at Walmart.

Looking at it practically, it seems to me to be a solution looking for a problem.
12-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

Actually Leica did it... in 2003

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
A suggestion I made in a thread a while ago... Was told not possible... Nikon have put a patent in (possibly around the same time...)
Actually Leica did it... in 2003. With much more than a patent:
Leica Digital Modul R for the R8 & R9: Digital Photography Review
Cheers,
12-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With that said, a digital K1000 would be sexy
Could that be infering a full frame digital?

Btw look for at least two release versions well within eleven months from now. Also yet another Nikon digital fullframe in about thirteen months
12-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
Actually Leica did it... in 2003. With much more than a patent:
Leica Digital Modul R for the R8 & R9: Digital Photography Review
Cheers,
And before that there was a small company that tried something even more ambitious (didn't see the light of day though) Silicon Film - Dead Media Archive