Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Something smaller?

I love my Pentax. It's capable of just about anything I want it to do, it's easy to use, and it's fun to use. It feels great in my hands.

But it doesn't feel so great over my shoulder. See, my first camera was built in to a PDA. This was before cell phones ate that market. Optically, it was crap, but it was there. It was always there, ready for, you know, whatever...

When I finally upgraded to a point-and-shoot (which actually was a huge upgrade), I carried it everywhere. It was always there in a little satchel on my belt, ignorable, but not forgotten. It never left my side all through high school.

When I upgraded to a DSLR, I had to stop taking the camera everywhere. I know, Pentax's offerings are very small and lightweight for DSLRs, but they're still not pocketable, and you can't wear it on your belt without it really standing out. Actually, that's not true: I've had some success with a pankake, but it's not ideal. Worse, I've found myself missing what might have been good pictures even when I have the thing with me, because I can't be bothered to take it out. Also, pointing a DSLR at someone, or something, is entirely different from a social perspective than using a P&S.

The problem is, I've become addicted to what a real camera can do. My 8-year-old P&S stays behind because, compared to the Pentax, its pictures just aren't worth it.

My point is this: I'm tempted by all the MILCs out there (how would you say this? I'm tempted by milk?). I'm not really thrilled at Pentax's offerings, though. The K-01 isn't really any smaller, and the Q is too small, sensor-wise. I really love APS-C, and I really don't want to give up all the advantages of a bigger sensor.

In my dreams, the Leica M9 would be perfect, but I'm not prepared to spend twice as much on a camera than I spent on my car. There are so many other great things you could do with $8,000, along with all the not-so-exciting things which you should do, like, you know, pay the rent.

From what I've read, Sony seems to have the best (realistic) option with their NEX line. They're really ugly and have lots of gimmicky features, but they seem to have the edge on the Olympus/Panasonic options, and the Ricoh GXR line is starting to look like a dead-end.

I wasn't looking for a replacement for the Pentax, just something I can carry around for everyday things to suppliment the Pentax, but now I'm a little confused. Looking at the features of the NEX, it's hard to see what it's missing. There's no through-the-lens optical viewfinder, obviously, but an EVF is an option. It'll be sluggish to turn on compared to a DSLR, and I don't expect the battery life to impress, but it seems to cram every other advantage a DSLR has into such a tiny package. I'm worried that, if I get one, the K-5 won't have much of a place anymore, even with all its wonderful lenses. Has anybody else jumped into the MILC frenzy going on now? If so, what happened to your DSLR?

03-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hear you about the hassle of carrying an slr and there are just occasions where it's not appropriate to bring it. The mirrorless cameras are not that much smaller than a pentax slr, they're still not pocketable. Even the Olympus OM has a small body but then has a slow (3.5-5.6) kit lens that sticks out like a truncheon from the front of the camera.

I think it's better to have an dLSR AND a decent point and shoot. You don't want to start getting lens buying addiction for two different camera line ups.
Have you seen the Pentax MX-1? It's got the fastest lens in it's class.
03-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not always carry my expensive / big K-5 but my film P30 is always with me! Same as you, got tired of the process so I jumped to a Canon S100... I was temped by the MILCs but I am not convinced just yet. So to other extreme: the S100 has 24mm f2 equivalent, fits a pocket and has controls decently layed out. It costs 280 at Amazon.
03-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I hear you about the hassle of carrying an slr and there are just occasions where it's not appropriate to bring it. The mirrorless cameras are not that much smaller than a pentax slr, they're still not pocketable. Even the Olympus OM has a small body but then has a slow (3.5-5.6) kit lens that sticks out like a truncheon from the front of the camera.

I think it's better to have an dLSR AND a decent point and shoot. You don't want to start getting lens buying addiction for two different camera line ups.
Have you seen the Pentax MX-1? It's got the fastest lens in it's class.
You have a point about the kit lens, but I wasn't planning on using one of them. My plan was to get an adapter for a few bucks and put an old m39 rangefinder lens on, which tend to be quite small. It wouldn't be pocketable (even the point-and-shoots I used to use weren't quite pocketable), but small enough for a satchel on the belt. I think. I haven't done the math yet.

Your point about LBA for two systems is the scary part for me, but I do like the freedom to use old lenses. This is a huge draw for me to the MILCs: the short flange-focal distance means pretty much anything is adaptable. This is good and bad...

I appreciate both suggestions for point-and-shoot options, but I'm really looking for something with a big sensor. I'm a sucker for bokeh. If I went for a point-and-shoot, it would either be a Powershot G1-X or a Ricoh GXR with the 28mm module. Both have APS-C sensors. However, they're not really any cheaper than the NEX-5, and you could use old Industar lenses on the NEX, which are very cheap and very small.

03-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a K-5 and a K-01, the K-01 is not that much smaller, but its shape makes it more compact. However I looked at the NEX range and the only drawback is if you wish to continue to use your K mount glass it requires an adapter that makes the lens stick out awkwardly and loses functionality. It's not that greatest of solutions and a bit of lose lose =( Hope you find something that does the job, and let us know
03-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I have a K-5 and a K-01, the K-01 is not that much smaller, but its shape makes it more compact. However I looked at the NEX range and the only drawback is if you wish to continue to use your K mount glass it requires an adapter that makes the lens stick out awkwardly and loses functionality. It's not that greatest of solutions and a bit of lose lose =( Hope you find something that does the job, and let us know
If you want the capabilities of a DSLR in a smaller package, you could consider the Pentax K-01 or the Pentax Q or Q10.

When I want something small, that is not my K-5 I use my Q. Really small but it still gives good pictures.

Regards

Chris
03-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

This is a fun website:
Compare camera dimensions side by side

I've started you off with a pentax vs panasonic mirrorless.

03-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't forget about the Samsung NX line, they got some wonderful (good quality) plastic super-lightweight pancakes to go with their cameras.
03-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
This is a fun website:
Compare camera dimensions side by side

I've started you off with a pentax vs panasonic mirrorless.
The K-5 is the exact same size! The results with the NEX are more promising:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-5 is 9% (11.1 mm) wider and 45% (30.1 mm) taller than Sony NEX-6.
Pentax K-5 is 71% (30.4 mm) thicker than Sony NEX-6.
Pentax K-5 [740 g] weights 114% (395 grams) more than Sony NEX-6 [345 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).
As long as the lens is 30mm long or less, the NEX is thinner with a lens than the K-5, body only. That website is awesome, thanks for the link.

This is my current "compact" system:

I paired an Industar-50 (cost: $15, made in 1959) that I've had for a while with my K-5 IIs, and found out that I could just barely cram it into the satchel I used to use for my old PowerShot S2 IS. It's a really tight fit, and it's a little heavy on the belt, but it's much better than a shoulder bag.

I took it (and my dog) for a long walk around the canals in southern Tempe and Guadelupe. I walked for 7 miles. I wouldn't have done that wearing a shoulder bag. I really like the pictures the Industar takes, too. They have an old-shool low-contrast look to them. This is straight out-of-camera; I haven't had time for PP yet. I'm not sure they need it, anyway.

This is what got me wondering: can I have this in an even smaller package? And I was surprised with what I found in the MILCs. Hence the post here. I'll do more research, (I'll look as Samsung, too) but maybe what I have now is small enough? Maybe I just need a slightly bigger satchel. No, that would be too simple, too logical...
03-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ever thought about just changing the strap?

I carry a K-x with me everywhere I go with a strap quite similar to the ones sold by lens loop (Google them). Lens loop actually gives the instructions on how to make their straps at home if you are so inclined. (That's what I did. And I used the exact same snap swivels that the folks at lens loop did. Net cost ~$20 for three homemade straps including all brass hardware).

I used to use a blackrapids RS-7 quick strap, but abandoned it after a month or so. Although it was well made, I found that the strap was always slipping off my shoulder and down the front of my chest. Also, it was too bulky to be worn under a backpack, and it was fairly dorky looking (in my opinion).

The lens loops (or lens loop homebrew) are adjustable, can be worn under backpack straps, and always keep your camera at hand, there is no hassle of taking it out of a bag/pouch/whatever. For much less than the cost of buying a smaller body, why not pick up a used DA 40mm XS off of the forum and try a different method of lugging the camera around?

Just a different idea to throw into the mix
03-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
Optio I-10 maybe, it resemble 110.
03-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #12

How about a Canon G1 X? A large sensor, decent lens and will fit in a (large) coat pocket. Does have it's downsides, such as slow focussing, making it less useful for action shots, but if you want a large sensor camera with a zoom that you can carry around more easily, then it may fit the bill for you.
03-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Something smaller?
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
It was always there, ready for, you know, whatever...
My guess; you don't want something smaller you need something small.

Forget about trying to get a mini DSLR and get a truly small light weight high quality pocketable camera that has its own advantages over a DSLR.
I went down the same path you did and tried many combinations of my DSLR+? and finally after many tries have ended up with a K5+Canon S95.
There's a place for a camera that is so small and light and gives such high quality results that you often forget you even have it with you.

Think about it.
03-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #14

People are definitely different... Judging from what you've said, I'd put the Nex high on the list.

In the 10 years of using digital cameras, I've given up on searching the highly coveted "pocketable" camera. You can buy a Powershot S110 or G1-X but you still won't get the same type of images (no limited DoF with S110) nor will you have the freedom you would with a truly interchangeable lens system (it seems like you enjoy older lenses). My coveted "pocketable" camera is my smartphone camera (dun dun dunnnn) because it's my forgetable camera. I don't have to think about whether or not I am bringing my camera and I don't have another bulging weight from a "pocketable". There's a compromise that the pictures won't look like a S110, but I won't have the fun of playing with different lenses and limited DoF in either situation anyways.

I think you just need something smaller and justification/validation to do so. I sold my K10d and bought a K-01. I freaking love the thing! I've got about 4 M42 lenses and it's a lot more fun taking pictures now -- much more "keepers" and things in focus. You're right that socially, you get a different reaction when you have a giant dSLR vs smaller cameras. I would say that the k-01 shoots like a "bridge" camera but the image quality and flexiblity of a dSLR. I think you're going to carry something regardless, so the argument about the size between a Nex and a k-01 is moot -- they still aren't pocketable. However, even the K-01 feels much lighter than a dSLR in a shoulder bag. The Nex felt too chintzy for me and I trust my Taks to work with authentic Pentax adapters on a k-01 more than 3rd party adapters on a Nex.
03-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't write off the Q because of it's sensor size. It's better than you think. I was iffy on it too, til I bought one. (Well... 4.) It's also ridiculously fun to shoot with. Here's a few samples from the Q & 02 zoom: