Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2013, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to Ruin Your Gear in 5 Minutes (Without Water)

Interesting article. Yup, I do know that a lot of the Pentax bodies are sealed and some lenses. That said.......

05-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If it's that hard on lenses, just think about your lungs. How stupid can people get? Never mind, I already know the answer to that!

P.S. I got to the end of the article and guess what - same question by the author about lungs (and from some posters too).

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-10-2013 at 06:56 AM.
05-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pfft! I saw someone post this on FB. I'm confident that Pentax's lenses would withstand this torture test, the only thing that might happen is an SDM "Failure" resulting in a laughter like squeaking when near failed Canikon lenses.
05-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Pfft! I saw someone post this on FB. I'm confident that Pentax's lenses would withstand this torture test, the only thing that might happen is an SDM "Failure" resulting in a laughter like squeaking when near failed Canikon lenses.
Then I invite you to field test your DA* 16-50 or DA* 60-250 at one of these events and let us know. The article states that they've seen this issue on high-end-sealed lenses as well. You have to remember that "weather sealed" does not mean "air tight" or "hermetically sealed." Limited air intrusion is normal even in a sealed lens otherwise it would be very difficult to extend the lens from it's least interior volume to it's most interior volume (or vice versa depending on internal pressurization).

Mike

05-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If it's that hard on lenses, just think about your lungs. How stupid can people get? Never mind, I already know the answer to that!
According to the Color Run website, the "colors" are "basically food grade cornstarch and are 100% natural and SAFE."

That's fine if you are consuming it as a food but most things I eat I wouldn't want to breath into my lungs. Also I get worried when people use the word "basically" when trying to justify something. Their whole FAQ tries to be so cute it's beyond annoying.

Faqs - The Color Run?
05-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
According to the Color Run website, the "colors" are "basically food grade cornstarch and are 100% natural and SAFE."

That's fine if you are consuming it as a food but most things I eat I wouldn't want to breath into my lungs. Also I get worried when people use the word "basically" when trying to justify something. Their whole FAQ tries to be so cute it's beyond annoying.

Faqs - The Color Run?
Non-medical particulate matter in any quantities in the lungs is NOT good for you - period.
05-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Food grade cornstarch is not totally "safe". In fact it is explosive in high concentrations (40g/mm^3), especially in confined spaces. Just consider Grain Elevator explosions. There is a Material Handling Data Sheet for the material.I would be surprised if they allowed any smoking or open flames near these "color run" events.

05-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Then I invite you to field test your DA* 16-50 or DA* 60-250 at one of these events and let us know. The article states that they've seen this issue on high-end-sealed lenses as well. You have to remember that "weather sealed" does not mean "air tight" or "hermetically sealed." Limited air intrusion is normal even in a sealed lens otherwise it would be very difficult to extend the lens from it's least interior volume to it's most interior volume (or vice versa depending on internal pressurization).

Mike
The 50-135 would handle it, the 16-50 probably would(It lived through Heie's torture with powdery sand). Canon especially cheap out on seals, a large number of L lenses aren't even sealed at the front, they rely on a "Labyrinth seal" from the filter. Works well for water, not so much for sand. Non internal zooms do have a higher risk, but with Pentax, your body is in danger, not the lens.(It draws air through the camera, rather than a hole in the bottom of the lens like Canikon) Don't buy it? Attach a sealed zoom, zoom it in and out while placing your finger near the mic port. You'll feel air, and when that port isn't enough, it draws through the SD card. This design has flaws though, as dust would intrude the shutter box faster.

Furthermore, I've taken my 16-50 into a room with two boxes of corn starch dispersed and low power lasers going off(My friend got a Galaxian, 500 beams of less than 1mw light with powder is interesting). My breathing is what stopped that madness, not my camera.(Didn't get many good shots though, it would've lent itself to videography better)
05-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Food grade cornstarch is not totally "safe". In fact it is explosive in high concentrations (40g/mm^3), especially in confined spaces. Just consider Grain Elevator explosions. There is a Material Handling Data Sheet for the material.I would be surprised if they allowed any smoking or open flames near these "color run" events.

Pretty sure smoking is frowned upon at all athletic events.
05-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Interesting article. Yup, I do know that a lot of the Pentax bodies are sealed and some lenses. That said.......
Thanks for this post ... I would not have thought of these risks for gear and lungs, etc. J
05-10-2013, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

"Color Runs", nice. Yet another, trite, clueless way to appropriate another culture's truly significant traditions. Ruined gear as a result? Hmm... the Gods work in mysterious ways indeed.

Significance of Holi,Importance of Holi,Cultural Significance of Holi,Social Significance of Holi
05-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I was about to get mad at you guys for bashing a charity event, but then I looked at the FAQ:

QuoteQuote:
The Color Run™ is not a charity or non-profit organization. The Color Run, LLC is a “for profit” event company.
Never mind. This event is dumb!
05-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
"Color Runs", nice. Yet another, trite, clueless way to appropriate another culture's truly significant traditions. Ruined gear as a result? Hmm... the Gods work in mysterious ways indeed.

Significance of Holi,Importance of Holi,Cultural Significance of Holi,Social Significance of Holi
Thanks. I learned something new about another culture from you post.
05-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I was about to get mad at you guys for bashing a charity event, but then I looked at the FAQ:

Never mind. This event is dumb!

Could not care less if its a "Charity" - stupid is stupid even if the money is supposed to be for charity.
05-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Could not care less if its a "Charity" - stupid is stupid even if the money is supposed to be for charity.
I think the stupidity could be forgiven if they were feeding hungry children or curing cancer or even spreading awareness of a Hindu festival, but no. They're just making money.