Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crazy lens theft: Travelers beware!

Check out this video. The back story is that this group of thieves have been working in a certain area of Moscow for a while now, so someone wanted to catch them in the act. And catch them they did!

That poor old man didn't know what hit him. The whole thing made me cringe.

LiveLeak.com - Thieves in Saint-Petersburg (Russia) Steal Camera lens from a photographer

Safe travels this summer!

07-10-2013, 12:59 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Upside to a missing K-5 lens release button?
07-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that is pretty terrifying. A bunch of them as distraction, one takes it off, hides it, passes it on to another guy,..
Good thing Pentax glass is usually very small, so it doesn't look as lucrative
07-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fortunately for Pentax and Leica photographers, the lens release button on the Right hand side of the camera - Nikon have theirs on the left, so do Canon - this places it away from the grip of your hand and makes it hard to detect when someone is fiddling with your camera. This is one of the many reasons why I eschew around the neck camera straps, because when the camera is safest when it is in your hand.

" A bunch of them as distraction, one takes it off, hides it, passes it on to another guy"

This is a common practice amongst pickpockets as well, speed and misdirection are the tools of the trade for thieves...the video is cringe worthy indeed, that lens looked like a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 ED IF VRII - a $2000 lens.

07-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #5

My aunt had her camera stolen in St. Peterburg under similar circumstances. Those guys are pros.
07-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Those guys are pros.
No, they aren't - this video proves it. Professional thieves doesn't get caught on camera like that.
07-10-2013, 01:40 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Inactive Account

Russia. And everything is said with it.

07-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Fortunately for Pentax and Leica photographers, the lens release button on the Right hand side of the camera - Nikon have theirs on the left, so do Canon - this places it away from the grip of your hand and makes it hard to detect when someone is fiddling with your camera.
Also, pancake primes would make this much harder too, though they would likely be overlooked anyway, can't expect the average thug to know what a FA31 is worth.
07-10-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

When you get inexplicably surrounded by people when travelling, you know you've arrived in the wrong area.

I had a guy grab me around the arms from behind once when I travelling and a bit wet behind the ears. Luckily my high school forced kids who were useless at sport to do judo, with the attack from behind being standard move number 1, the others being attacked by a knife and forward rolls. Thankfully, they put us through so much repetition of these three basic moves, I automatically flipped him onto the back of his neck before I even consciously realised I was doing. Three other hoods who had been walking towards me changed direction and walked past without eye contact. Also all those forward rolls have been handy a few times when crashing the push bike and preventing broken collar bones. touch wood. But that guy was totally outnumbered, so martial arts wouldn't be an option to anyone less than Bruce Lee.

I won't travel with a zoom (as said above by elliot), except an 18-55, just because the bigger the size of lens (like that guy in the video had) alerts thugs that you've (probably) got more money than sense.
07-10-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
When you get inexplicably surrounded by people when travelling, you know you've arrived in the wrong area.

I had a guy grab me around the arms from behind once when I travelling and a bit wet behind the ears. Luckily my high school forced kids who were useless at sport to do judo, with the attack from behind being standard move number 1, the others being attacked by a knife and forward rolls. Thankfully, they put us through so much repetition of these three basic moves, I automatically flipped him onto the back of his neck before I even consciously realised I was doing. Three other hoods who had been walking towards me changed direction and walked past without eye contact. Also all those forward rolls have been handy a few times when crashing the push bike and preventing broken collar bones. touch wood. But that guy was totally outnumbered, so martial arts wouldn't be an option to anyone less than Bruce Lee.

I won't travel with a zoom (as said above by elliot), except an 18-55, just because the bigger the size of lens (like that guy in the video had) alerts thugs that you've (probably) got more money than sense.
+1
Use common sense and much of this can be avoided. Pay attention to your surroundings, don`t see everything from a photographers PoV and be prepared to leave, even if you don`t have your shot yet.
This could happen in most major cities. I`ve had this a couple of times when I was shooting at night in downtown Rotterdam. The same guy(s) will check you out by passing you 2-3 times within minutes. They allways do to check and see if and how vulnerable you are. Best response IMHO is to break up, hold your mono- or tripod in one hand and look them in the eye while moving to a better spot (in my case with more streetlights).

But then again, I usually only bring my small DA15 into the city
07-10-2013, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Zav
Pentaxian

Try to do that with a M42!
07-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Try to do that with a M42!
Anyone who can pull that off deserves the lens, that would be amazing.
07-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've watched that video 20 or more times, and I am amazed how they do it.
Personally, anyone can get their stuff stolen, but walking around with a big lens is a sure fire way to get it stolen.

I've always advocated that your camera/lens should only be out when you are actually taking pictures.
I have camera holsters and a workflow where I am constantly taking the camera in and out.
In my travels, I also stay away from traditional tourist spots that have a high return for thieves.
I don't wear bright colors when shooting, and I never take shots where others are gathered.
Some places I take the absolute minimum kit with the expectation that I have a high probability of getting my camera stolen no matter what I do.
07-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #14

pretty disturbing, but that's just the way it goes. blocking the victims sight with a map while somebody else picks their pockets really is one of the most common tricks. crazy to see it in action, especially with that big mob of people involved. the guy must have felt as if he stumbled into a hidden camera prank, which it turned out to be in the end. a rather expensive one, though. there are cameras in almost every car in russia, so i guess that is footage from one of them there.

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Check out this video. The back story is that this group of thieves have been working in a certain area of Moscow for a while now..

LiveLeak.com - Thieves in Saint-Petersburg (Russia) Steal Camera lens from a photographer
OT Newsflash:
St. Petersburg is not really a certain area of Moscow
07-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
OT Newsflash:
St. Petersburg is not really a certain area of Moscow
It was late and I was tired. I should have just said Russia.