Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Condensation on lens

I am working at the edge of a rain forest in Indonesia presently. Occasionally, when I go outside of my air-conditioned house, the lens of the camera fogs up with condensation due to the high humidity.
It clears after a few minutes but is very frustrating to wait, as I usually rushed out in the first place after hearing or seeing one of the amazing bird species here.
However, what worries me is the condensation that may be present inside the camera at those times. Is this likely...?
Any comments or suggestions?

If this is the wrong forum, please move appropriately..

10-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Camera lucida Quote
I am working at the edge of a rain forest in Indonesia presently. Occasionally, when I go outside of my air-conditioned house, the lens of the camera fogs up with condensation due to the high humidity.
It clears after a few minutes but is very frustrating to wait, as I usually rushed out in the first place after hearing or seeing one of the amazing bird species here.
However, what worries me is the condensation that may be present inside the camera at those times. Is this likely...?
Any comments or suggestions?

If this is the wrong forum, please move appropriately..
Any time condensation forms on the equipment, there is a chance of it forming inside the gear as well. We have the opposite problem where I am, which is when we bring cameras inside, quite often they form condensation, but the reason is the same. Going from cool or cold dry air to humid warm air.

This isn't something weather sealing is going to be effective for, I wouldn't think.
Can you store your equipment in an unair-conditioned part of your house?
10-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Damn Brit

If your lens isn't sealed as well as the camera, then there is potential to get moisture in so you should try and store the camera somewhere dry with the lens off and doors open if possible (somewhere dust free). If you have any silica packets, keep them in your bag when the camera is in it.
Try putting the camera and lens in a sealed plastic bag before you take it outside, then the condensation should form on the bag instead of the camera. Once the camera and lens has equalised with the ambient temperature, you can take it out of the bag. If you want to take a shot in a hurry, you could always make a hole in the bag for the lens.

In the house, leaving the camera somewhere warm would help, on top of the fridge or above a dvd player or something.
10-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't use AC, its expensive, and your body has to go through a dramatic temperature change each time you leave the house. Not to mention freon is bad for the environment (although modern tipes aren't that bad).

Sorry, I just like forcing my dislike of AC on to other people. Anyhow, I would say keep it in a non airconditioned room if you have one or some place warm. If you have someplace safe and dry outside you can leave the camera bag during the day when you're likely to take pictures, that would also work. Taking it outside in the bag I haven't gotten condensation on it as the bag causes it to heat up much more slowly, but the times I have taken my GX-10 out from a ACed room to a hot humid place, the condensation has never caused a problem. (cept for everything being washed out and blurry)

10-21-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Being in the tropics, your problem isn't really condensation but the high humidity. Fungus growth is a more worrying problem in hot and humid conditions that I would strongly urge you to get a electric dry box to store your cameras and lenses when you're not using them. The dry box will keep the relative humidity to around 40-50%.
10-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #6

As an Indonesia resident, I can identify with your problem! I keep my gear in a "dry box", basically an airtight lucite box with a rechargeable silica gel dessicant inside. Not only does the box wick away moisture that forms while I am outside shooting, it also acts as an insulator that prevents the A/C from hitting your gear directly and cooling it down, creating the condensation effect when you leave the house. The boxes are available at the local Ace Hardware here for about $30.

If you can't find a dry box, simply placing your gear away from the AC ducting and keeping under some clothes for insulation before you head off to bed should help your problem.