Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Asked to shoot an informal wedding

So I was asked to shoot a very informal wedding of a friend of ours today. They are a couple who have been together for 25 years (both in their late 40s) and just last week decided to get married. They are having a small ceremony in their back yard (20-30 people) with a barbecue to celebrate afterward. It is going to be in 4.5 weeks on a Wednesday night (5pm).

I gave the usual disclaimer explaining that I've never shot a wedding before, it is different then other photography I've done for them and what they've seen me do, it is their wedding day and there are no do-overs ect ect but they still want me to do it.

So I agreed to do it. While I'm confident in my photographic ability it is still a a little scary . I already have a check list of things that I need to do (meet with them, go over to their house at 5pm a few days before to get an idea of the light, practice all kinds of shots at my house before hand ect ect).

My current gear should cover everything I'll need. The only thing I'm lacking is a constant aperture zoom (I have the Sigma 17-70). This may be the perfect excuse to pick up the DA* 16-50mm. If I do that I'll have the DA* on my K20 with external Flash, FA 50 1.4 on my istDS and I'll take my Canon body with 70-200 for any telephoto shots.

Anyway I just thought I'd share... I know some of you amateurs out there know what I'm talking about and for the wedding pros you are thinking "he has no idea what he's getting himself into even if it is really informal"

John

06-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I've only taken pictures at one wedding John and that was soon after I got into photography.
One thing to bear in mind,it being outside (because they won't think about it) is the bright sunlight. So scope things out before hand and make sure there is a place suitable for you to take the crucial shots (under a tree for example) where the sun isn't going to cause things to get blown out.
Personally, I think those kind of weddings allow for some of the best opportunities, I much prefer candids to staged.
06-28-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is fully possible to take photographs at such a wedding since you laid the basics clearly with them. Since sunlight will be bright, use your flash for fill for most shots. Also spot surfaces on which you can bounce your flash if needed (will there be a tent, for instance?).

In daylight, your Sigma can pull it off very well. Even in low light, with a flash, it will do the trick. The one thing I think is missing from your arsenal is a fast tele prime (or equivalent). Something like the 50-135 would be perfect but expensive. I personally have a 135 mm f2,8 that I used at a wedding recently for candids and it served me extremely well.

The 50 will be perfect for group shots, but of limited use afterwards. It's a bit wide for candids, a little narrow for general use, although it's excellent for planned portraits (but these often look staged). In low light it will serve you well, though, and if the bride-groom want "official" photos of them the 50 and the Sigma will be your best friends.

Fully plan with the couple what they want you to photograph. Go over the classic checklist with them to see what they want. Then keep some time for candids of the people there, they will treasure these pictures.
06-28-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll give you a hint and feel free to PM me with any questions. Have a mental list of locations and shots you want to do with them. It's been my experience (others will disagree I'm sure) that the most important shots are the personal ones done after the ceremony. I realize you said it is going to be outside and a BBQ after. You'll need some time away from everyone else to get some nice personal images. Ask them if it's possible to take 1.5 hours away from the gathering to do this. With all their friends watching, you won't get very good results.

I always scout out shooting locations for these shots. The last thing you need to do is walk out after the service and think, what's next? The ceremony is, in many ways straightforward. Make sure you tell them to take their time with the first kiss at the alter so you can get that shot which is the most important one. Look for some unique angles and have some good views to close relatives. You can get some good emotional shots of them during the service.

Flash is always an issue. I've always felt I could do better and recently started using a foam DIY diffuser (cost $2.00 each) on my AF400T and AF540 (shot manually). It's made a huge difference in softening the flash light and getting better shots.

Something I still do is carry a series of images in a little booklet. I don't use it all the time but it's helpful. The idea is this; the couple want nice images for the album but they aren't professional models. So you can show them a sample shot and say, lets use this location to do this or this. It also helps you remember shots you wanted to take.

Below are a few samples of the wedding I did yesterday. All the spots were scouted out ahead of time and that way I could have a travel route to these places mapped out and a plan. It makes for a much easier day and better shots. You may only have one shot you want from any particular spot but shoot lots. This wedding was just over 1000 images.

Unless you need it, skip the DA*16-50mm. It's a good lens for this type of work but a bit fussy and hard to use. I've owned 2 and although I use it a lot, it's probably the toughest lens I own to use. Frankly the DA16-45mm f4 is the better lens. Faster focus, equally sharp and a lens I have more confidence in. For the church shooting, I use a DA* 16-50mm but prefer a Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX and the FA50mm f1.4 combo. They both focus faster, work better in low light and offer much better control. The 17-70mm will be fine for wide shots and portraits. You'll use the 70-200 a lot more than you might think. It's huge advantage is being able to take candid's without anyone noticing and getting away from the couple so they are more comfortable. If they enjoy themselves, you get natural shots more often. Most of these were done using the Sigma 70-200/K20D or *istD. A good intimate portrait might not work well if you are 6 feet away with the camera. Standing back lets them forget you're there.

Sigma 105mm Macro (a good portrait lens too)
Name:  AC 1.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  63.9 KB
FA*300mm f4.5
Name:  AC 2.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  72.8 KB
Pentax DA*16-50mm
Name:  AC 3.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  32.4 KB
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 for the next 2

Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-28-2009 at 06:14 AM.
06-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow, Peter, that's a wonderful setting for those shots.

For the OP, I'd suggest, since it's an informal wedding for your friends, see what you can do in advance about any backdrop the ceremony might involve: sometimes when people create their own, they aren't thinking too much about the light and what may be in the background, at least just try and be prepared for the conditions.
06-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I borrowed 2 lenses from a close friend when I last did it.

The DA 12-24 and FA 77. I love the shots I got from them

Both lenses handle bright sunlight really really well

IMO, with digital photography, there isn't really much to worry about. Shooting in RAW may help further allay some of your fear.

You may want to shoot more portrait shots. It's amazing but true: People are most interested in their own photos! Here, the 77 shines
07-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the replies, sorry I didn't say "thanks" earlier as I posted this RIGHT before I left for my 2 week vacation in Yellowstone (talk about a lot of things to photograph!).

Anyway I talked with the people who asked me again and I made it clear that I was not a wedding pro ect ect. They understand that perfectly and all they really want are a bunch of candids of their friends/family at the wedding... they want no formal shots at all.

Again, thanks again for the support! I have about 2k photos of Yellowstone to keep me busy for a while now

John

07-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the replies, sorry I didn't say "thanks" earlier as I posted this RIGHT before I left for my 2 week vacation in Yellowstone (talk about a lot of things to photograph!).

Anyway I talked with the people who asked me again and I made it clear that I was not a wedding pro ect ect. They understand that perfectly and all they really want are a bunch of candids of their friends/family at the wedding... they want no formal shots at all.

Again, thanks again for the support! I have about 2k photos of Yellowstone to keep me busy for a while now

John
Let us know how it comes out. You couldn't have picked a better situation to start out on. More mature couples I know who have been together a long time before marrying (I include myself among them) don't seem to be as hung up on the hackneyed and posed aspects of most weddings.
07-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Get your flash as far off of the camera as possible. Something like the Stroboframe Flash Brackets helps with this. They also allow you to keep the flash over the lens when you rotate to "portrait" orientation.

or

Best of luck.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-21-2009 at 09:13 AM.
07-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All the best for that John.
First time being the 'official' guy is always a harrowing experience, but you'll do fine with your gear.
Ensure your flash will do the job for you, and do take people aside even if it's just for a few seconds to do some 'formal' photos for their record.
Most of all, enjoy the day with the B&G and you'll get more natural results.
07-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Get your flash as far off of the camera as possible. Something like the Stroboframe Flash Brackets helps with this. They also allow you to keep the flash over the lens when you rotate to "portrait" orientation.

or

Best of luck.

Mike
Here is my wedding rig

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/581188-post35.html
07-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Nice. Show us some shots with that rig.

In all but one of the weddings I've been to lately, pros had great brackets, but then bounced almost all the flashes off the ceiling. Seems like you can do that off the hot shoe. In one, the rig got the flash up about 7', and he used it direct.
07-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the wedding is over (YEAH!) Everything gear wise was just fine, I used my K20 and Sigma 17-70 for 90% of the shots. The only thing I was disappointed about was the recharge time it took for my Sigma EF-500 ST flash. If I ever did this again (and I don't plan on it) I'd by a faster flash.

The shots came out OK, I'm not a wedding/people photographer so I didn't expect anything earth shattering but neither did the Bride and Groom so I think I'm good there

If you are interested here is a link to the proofs: Wedding Proofs Photo Gallery by palmor at pbase.com

All that was done on this is some cropping in Lightroom and some basic exposure adjustments (there are bunch that need a little bit more).. so there is still a lot of post process work to do in Photoshop now.

Thanks again for all your support!
John
07-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Well the wedding is over (YEAH!) Everything gear wise was just fine, I used my K20 and Sigma 17-70 for 90% of the shots. The only thing I was disappointed about was the recharge time it took for my Sigma EF-500 ST flash. If I ever did this again (and I don't plan on it) I'd by a faster flash.
Congratulations on completing the mission. Now get back to that post-processing.

What kind of batteries were you using, were they fresh?

I have a Sigma 530 Super. I was unhappy with the recycle time until I switched from alkalines to Rayovac Hybrids (same technology as Eneloops). I wonder whether the disposable li-ions would be good in a flashgun?
07-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmm.. I know there was a post by Peter Zack but I never got a chance to reply... just wanted to say thanks for the tips.. I did cull a few more photos out. The nice thing was I saw the bride yesterday and the first thing she did was give me a big hug so I guess I passed the test

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Congratulations on completing the mission. Now get back to that post-processing.

What kind of batteries were you using, were they fresh?

I have a Sigma 530 Super. I was unhappy with the recycle time until I switched from alkalines to Rayovac Hybrids (same technology as Eneloops). I wonder whether the disposable li-ions would be good in a flashgun?
I was just using normal batteries, I'll try the one you mentioned to see if they help.

Thanks
John