Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Shooting Hummingbirds? I prefer 50mm

So I was sitting at my parents house this weekend enjoying watching the hummingbirds dive bomb everything in sight and decided why not try getting some shots of them. After about 100 failed attempts I decided my trust manual 50mm might give me a better chance. Still didnt seem fast enough, even at f1.7. As a last resort I figured, what the heck, popped the flash up, squeezed off a few shots to get the exposure right (no metering, gotta chimp it ) and Viola! I think i came out with some pretty decent shots. They are by no means perfect but for my skill level (very much beginner) I think they turned out quite well. What suggestions can be had for lens type or techniques for shooting these blurs of animals that never stay put for more than 1/8000th of a sec? The ones at my parents house are not camera or people shy so I should be able to go get as many shots as I wany and try whatever suggestions you may have for me. Here are a couple that I thought turned out pretty well. What do you think?

All these were taken right around 1/180th of a sec (flash limited) on my M50mm 1.7 with ISO at 200.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo     
08-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I've heard that putting some yellow tape (similar colour to that on the feeders) on your lens or camera can attract them to you.
I had great by just hanging around the feeder so that they got used to me. I used the DA55-300 and focusing sounds didn't bother them but the shutter sound did but not enough to scare them away.
08-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For someone starting out, you are doing much better than when I started...

I will often photograph hummingbirds in brighter conditions, normally at lower shutter speeds than most folks recommend. Usually at 1/350 or 1/500 of a second. I rarely go above that shutter speed, but it's simply the lighting in my garden at certain hours and my preference. You can use almost any focal length below 200mm if you are willing to crop. I've tried both ends of the spectrum (longer FL) and close up, even 6 feet away.

I dislike hijacking a thread, so here are some links. All information is posted either in the image description or a link to the EXIF in the post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/58528-reflections-their-...rd-images.html

or

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/65034-hummingbirds-more-...300-2-8-a.html

My most recent post of hummer images:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/67383-its-hummingbird-time-again.html

I also just compiled several posts that I answered into this article here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/69578-attracting-pho...mingbirds.html. I'll do my best to answer questions when time permits.

Regards,
Marc
08-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the links Marc. Apparently when I searched for anything on the topic I should have entered HUMMINGBIRD instead of HUMMINGBIRDS. That simple little S makes all the difference in the world I guess. I have never shot anything that moves that wont listen before so it was a real learning experience tracking and figuring out when to squeeze. I actually got one shot where the wings were all the way forward and he was getting ready to thrust back and the whole body is squished into a little ball.

08-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My honor good sir.

Also try searching using the term "hummer". You won't see many of the 4 wheeled variety of Hummer on this forum...

Regards,
Marc
08-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
What suggestions can be had for lens type or techniques for shooting these blurs of animals that never stay put for more than 1/8000th of a sec? The ones at my parents house are not camera or people shy so I should be able to go get as many shots as I wany and try whatever suggestions you may have for me. Here are a couple that I thought turned out pretty well. What do you think?.
Lovely shots!

I was up to the exact same thing. Here's how I went about it... I sat (sort of) patiently on top of a step ladder level with feeder, and no more than 6' away from it. I pointed my trusty 18-250mm lens to one side of the feeder (making sure the feeder wasn't in the picture) and then waited. It seems that they tend to slow down just a wee bit as they come in to the feeder and sometimes hover just a moment... it was this moment that I took the shot. Once I figured out that the flash was really quite important, I was able to get a few shots. Without the flash, I had a lot more trouble getting it "just right"

250mm, f/11, 1/180. Flash.

Hummingbird in Flight on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
08-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
Nice shots. I didnt have the luxury of laying in wait at the top of the ladder for them as I was only at my parents for a short period of time. I think I will get a feeder for my back yard as the neighbors have some and apparently they are being used. That way I can just set the tripod up, get it focused where I want it then just use the remote from inside to snap off when i think I have a shot. I just purchased a real flash the other day so I will be able to try it with a real flash instead of the little on camera jobber.

08-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
Nice shots. I didnt have the luxury of laying in wait at the top of the ladder for them as I was only at my parents for a short period of time. I think I will get a feeder for my back yard as the neighbors have some and apparently they are being used. That way I can just set the tripod up, get it focused where I want it then just use the remote from inside to snap off when i think I have a shot. I just purchased a real flash the other day so I will be able to try it with a real flash instead of the little on camera jobber.
Sounds like a good plan. And a wonderful way to learn your new flash!

Post the results!