Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stuck indoors with pop-up flash?

Use tin foil taped to a piece of cardboard (or better yet, a mirror) to bounce to a ceiling or wall, remember to let it bounce such that the light is still heading towards the subject. I had always suggested it to people who wanted tips with pop-up flash, but never got around to testing it. Worked better than I thought, at least on close distance still life with a low ceiling. Lights were off, flash is only source of light.

Limitations occur due to flash power of the pop-up flash. Maybe I'll test with some real subjects when it isn't in the middle of the night and I should be sleeping or at least cleaning up this dirty mess of a table, but you guys can test too!

Last edited by Eruditass; 11-17-2009 at 03:22 PM.
11-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #2

did you use tin-foil or mirror in these pictures? thanks.
11-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad results at all.
Good tip.
11-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lack of flash power would be rather limiting though, unless, as you say, you have a convenient, low, white ceiling.

11-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There is something on the market that slides under the flash that acts as a mirror that will redirect the flash light; to the ceiling if camera in the horizontal position and to a wall if in vertical. I have seen it tn the back of Photo mags.( The ad section).
11-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a Gary Fong Puffer to diffuse the built-in flash. Works pretty damn good, small to carry (especially dissasembled) and dead simple to use. PUFFER - Pop-Up Flash Diffuser
11-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
There is something on the market that slides under the flash that acts as a mirror that will redirect the flash light; to the ceiling if camera in the horizontal position and to a wall if in vertical. I have seen it tn the back of Photo mags.( The ad section).
You mean this one, probably: light scoop digital photography pop-up flash Olympus Nikon Fuji Canon Pentax

I've also had good results using just a piece of white cardboard. Yes, you need the ceiling the be relatively white and relatively low, but in most homes, this is not a problem. The built-in flash of most DSLR's provides enough power bounced in this way for f/4 at maybe ISO 400 or so - f/5.6 at a higher ISO, or f/2.8 at lower.

11-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blu3ness Quote
did you use tin-foil or mirror in these pictures? thanks.
Tin-foil, unfortunately I don't have a small mirror but I imagine tin foil robs a notable amount of power.
11-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #9

lifehacker has one article that teaches about a DIY lightbox, I've been wondering if it's possible to use the tracing paper to make a diffuser to place on the pop-up flash to make the light more soft. hmm, should be interesting, I'll try that when I have a chance
11-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You mean this one, probably: light scoop digital photography pop-up flash Olympus Nikon Fuji Canon Pentax

I've also had good results using just a piece of white cardboard. Yes, you need the ceiling the be relatively white and relatively low, but in most homes, this is not a problem. The built-in flash of most DSLR's provides enough power bounced in this way for f/4 at maybe ISO 400 or so - f/5.6 at a higher ISO, or f/2.8 at lower.
Yep that be the one. Probably a good addition to a camra bag if your external flash goes dead cause of depleated batteries and bounce flash is perferred for flattering images or just wanna travel light.
11-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #11

My quick DIY is to use an old style white plastic film canister with a hole cut to fit the pop up.

Of course the hard part may be to find one nowadays.

You do lose some flash power but it does work for close ups or macro shots.
11-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote
My quick DIY is to use an old style white plastic film canister with a hole cut to fit the pop up.

Of course the hard part may be to find one nowadays.

You do lose some flash power but it does work for close ups or macro shots.

Oh man, I totally forgot about that trick. I had planned to but hid them somewhere:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/777568-post13.html

I imagine it would be good if there is nothing to bounce off of, but if there is, I like light more when its not from the lens area
11-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

Ah! Cardboard + tin foil on top = flat mirror-like reflector.
11-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

BTW, the main issue I have with bouncing the built-in flash is that it can be pretty blinding to the photographer. Way too much of that reflected light ends up coming right back at you. So on the occasions when I try this, I usually close my eyes after lining up the shot. I've thought about trying to come up with bounce device that also shielded my eyes from the flash. Preferably one that flods flat, as opposed the Lightscoop, which looks like it takes "almost" as much space in a bag as a small external flash.