Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PPG Pet Peeves - What can't you vote NO on fast enough

We all know what I am talking about. What kind of image just makes you want to shout NO at the top of your lungs, or leaves you wishing there was a "H3LL NO!" button?

For me...

Shots of wall murals or other people's artwork... Unless there is something significant going on in front of the mural/art or in the frame that is the real subject of the photo, then shots of other's work is darned near to copyright infringement in my eyes and shows no creativity on the part of the photographer. You like a mural, fine, shoot a photo, but do not presume to present it as a photograph worthy of the PPG.

Shots with Dust Spots... Come on folks, if the Mona Lisa was submitted with dust spots all over it it wouldn't deserve to get in. This is just plain sloppy laziness.

15 shots of the same danged thing... Carpet bombing does not increase your chances even if you can't decide which is the best shot. Part of growth as an artist is being able to tell what is your best work. Pick one and submit it on it's own merits.

Please share your own "kiss of death" pet peeves...

Mike

06-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
We all know what I am talking about. What kind of image just makes you want to shout NO at the top of your lungs, or leaves you wishing there was a "H3LL NO!" button?

For me...

15 shots of the same danged thing... Carpet bombing does not increase your chances even if you can't decide which is the best shot. Part of growth as an artist is being able to tell what is your best work. Pick one and submit it on it's own merits.

Please share your own "kiss of death" pet peeves...

Mike
This would be mine. I can understand two, or maybe eve three, if there is enough difference in perspective to warrant multiple shots.

There's a rock formation in one of the western parks. I think it's called "the devils bridge"(?) One member posted at least forty different angels of this formation.

Well, one more..... Landscape shots with crooked horizons.
06-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Supersaturated Images....ugh! you can make any image pop with overly saturated colors and contrast, but that doesn't make it a good image! But apparently not everyone understands that...
06-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Same as others said, but a bit different to the landscape post.

Down hill water. Only waterfalls should run down hill, not rivers, oceans, and seas.

One more, Sailboats without the full mast showing.

06-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

ooo oo oooooo I have another one...

HDR images (or images that have the levels tweaked so much to look HDR). These aren't even supposed to be valid submissions, but a few still get in it seems like.
06-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
ooo oo oooooo I have another one...

HDR images (or images that have the levels tweaked so much to look HDR). These aren't even supposed to be valid submissions, but a few still get in it seems like.
Well there is a HDR section in the gallery, ive only submited one hdr in and it got accepted.

Also add to the list boring bird shots.
06-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Well there is a HDR section in the gallery, ive only submited one hdr in and it got accepted.

Also add to the list boring bird shots.
Oh, maybe they have changed the rules since I last checked. If so, my bad!

06-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Simon, what's a boring bird shot?

I've seen these too.
06-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Beach, Lake, Ocean, or any other Sunset photo. Auto-No. Family vacation shots. Auto-No. Submissions of more than 3 or 4 photos from the same person, no on ALL of them, regardless of the photo.

06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote

That one resonates with me.

Add:

Yes, your girlfriend/wife/kid/cat/dog/fish is cute, but...
Need I say anything more?

and

Glad you know how to do a formal portrait, but please show me some art...
See above...

Steve
06-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you for starting this thread. I agree with most here.

A lot of birds bother me. If it's not in focus don't submit it. At the same time, I see many, many, many technically perfect and completely boring shots shots make it through. There's usually nothing exceptional about them--they're just bird shots that don't make you feel anything. And they wouldn't stop anyone in their tracks at a gallery. Anyone!

The same can be said with many bug shots. Yes, I know how hard it was to capture that shot. But guess what? It's not interesting.

Kids. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Flowers. I love flowers. But again, many are unexceptional.

Ugly waterfalls.

Street shots that could've came from a CCTV. I love good street shots. Many submitted (and approved) are not at all compelling though.

Stated as shot through a car window. And approved. Ugh.

Finally, I'm bothered by people that are in some sort of race to get pictures in. Some of you are really good. Some of you need to slow down and compare yourselves to photographers you know are really great.

PS: Despite all that, most of what makes it through is still very good.

Oh, Hong Kong. The next one I see better be **** good...

Last edited by JHfwp; 06-18-2010 at 09:12 AM.
06-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Beach, Lake, Ocean, or any other Sunset photo. Auto-No. Family vacation shots. Auto-No. Submissions of more than 3 or 4 photos from the same person, no on ALL of them, regardless of the photo.

Dang! I live near a lot of beach, lake, ocean, and sunset stuff. I guess I need to travel to shoot more desert, corn fields, farms, and city skylines. I take it that mountains (without lake in foreground) and rivers (without beaches) are still safe?

I get what you mean though...a cliche' subject is a cliche' subject. Unless a sunset has some point of interest beyond the sun and the obligatory palm tree, it has no purpose except, perhaps, to end a nice slide show or travelogue.

As for the 2-or-less rule...I don't know how you are guessing the photographer, but I guess I should be careful to pace my submissions a week or so apart just to be safe.

+1 on the family vacation shots. Add the kids in the backyard wading pool...

Steve
06-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
emr

- Macro pictures of flowers. So you managed to get a macro photo of a flower. Great, move on.

- The above but insects.

- Cute animals or cute kids. Pictures which have no other merit but the cuteness.

Photos from these categories above really need to be special to slip my red arrow head.

Disclaimer: I haven't had one single of my photos accepted. What's wrong with you people!?!?!?

06-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
...Disclaimer: I haven't had one single of my photos accepted. What's wrong with you people!?!?!?
Try submitting a macro of a flower or an insect or maybe your dog looking straight at the camera...

Steve
06-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Since my one bird (the hawk) shot made it in, I have to say, I shoot birds for my enjoyment only, most times. I will post them in POTW, and some in PYP, but I don't load them to PPG.

I have one thing to say. All of your opinions are just that, your opinion, there does seem to be a lot of pet peeves here, and though you all think your thoughts on photos; evidently, some must pass muster otherwise they wouldn't be accepted in PPG and their Premiere Collection.

Last edited by photolady95; 06-18-2010 at 11:00 AM.