Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Camera policies for outdoor festivals:

I love the opportunity to photograph people and acts in outdoor events. The free events are great, but when a promoter gets involved, the camera gestapo gets annoying:

When they look at my camera I'm ready to tell them, "Are you serious? This is just a Pentax. It's a toy camera."

It has worked before.

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-31-2010 at 05:20 AM. Reason: fixed link
07-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few years back I was also turned back at the gate because I had a camera. It was a rodeo in Illinois and I wasn't even using an SLR or with detachable lens (Olympus C2100). Absolutely not photographs! P&S's were also band. This was slightly before the cell phone camera rage began so I don't know how they could control that now.
07-31-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

A working link The Picture Police | Politics | Chicago Reader.
07-31-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
emr

I was this summer on an outdoors blues festival, where the main band was ZZ Top. I had contacted the venue beforehand regarding camera policy and when I finally got the answer, it was that (D)SLRs and video cameras were absolute no-nos, but P&S cameras were OK. So I took only a Canon P&S with me. Well, at the site I found out there was no control at the gate and the field (about 12 000 people) was full of DSLRs and video cameras.

I guess the only way of really knowing is contacting the venue AND people who have attended the festival before (if it's a yearly thing).

07-31-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yet another example of our public servants giving up our constitutional rights without, I believe, proper authority. Public property, contrary to what one person states in that article, does not become "private property" when management or operation of it is temporarily transfered to a private entity.

We are discussing a very similar issue in the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/106901-speaking-restr...otography.html thread.

Mike

p.s. I fixed the link in the initial post.
07-31-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The Saratoga Performing Arts Center is public property, on the grounds of a State Park. For as long as I have lived here (since mid 70's), they have had a no camera policy on the grounds during concerts. The enforcement has worsened over the years as they lease the operation to private companys. People are searched on the way in. It was a long Saratoga tradition with concert goers to bring the family and have picnic dinner on the lawn prior to the shows. That is no longer allowed. Most local residents no longer attend and it is in danger of closing down, mostly the result of outrageous pricing and restrictions.
07-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Hmmm...... This is a tough area for me to defend on either side. No, I don't want you coming to my family event at a rented Convention Center and snapping away, even though it is a public building. But if I invited you, even charged you admission, then it seems a little harder to define where the line is?

I see these threads, and have to admit that I don't see much problem where I live, so have a hard time becoming alarmed. Maybe it is worse than I know? There is little doubt that we have lost rights over time, and some of them by necessity, no doubt, but photography has done more good that harm by a longshot from what I see? Maybe it has just not done so well for those that have something to hide?
Regards!

07-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think it's ok to forbid photography for some reason. (Special/private atmosphere, copyrights etc).

But it is not ok to make unfair, unclear and inconsistent rules as well as bad implementation.

Many people have spent their last money for cheapest slr with basic kit lens, just to get decent pictures and some manual modes. It is their ONLY camera and is used as basic P&S. Why are they not allowed to use their camera but others are?

Such simple policy should not force you in a situation where you cant attend the event. Its ignorance from the promoters side. Like they didn't know how popular cameras are. They should at least offer some options, like camera storage or picture taking fee with simple non-comercial use agreement.
Camera is not like a sandwich, you can toss away or eat just before entering the event.

Last edited by ytterbium; 08-01-2010 at 08:25 AM.