Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PPG standards going down?

Is it just me, or is PPG recently accepting images of not as high caliber than in the past?
I have been noticing a number of images presented as PPG approvals that have a number of issues in my mind, and I wonder what the judges were smoking when they voted them through (perhaps I could have some of that too, please...)

My intention isn't to be arrogant or demeaning, and I won't be singling images out (other than my own) but I'm concerned that there are fewer outstanding images being accepted and much of what I consider substandard work getting into the gallery. I even voted 'no' on a couple of images that made it to the Premium Collection, which I've not noticed happen until the last month or so, and that gets me thinking: are PPG standards slipping?

Case in point - I decided to test out this concern with an image I'd submitted close to when PPG first started out and was fairly rejected back then. Resubmitting it just in the last 2 weeks, I was surprised to see it get in the gallery in record time (for me):

Merry Swing Round

Critiquing it, I can clearly see obvious issues of blurriness (of the stationery vertical support), framing that cut off the top portion of the light trail and an out-of-place person's head at the bottom of the frame just to the right of the ride's vertical support. To me, that's 3 strikes and you're out. I would have had no hesitation to vote 'no' for this one.

Similarly I have seen many examples of accepted images that fail on much more than 3 counts of my 'standards' to get in PPG. So does anyone else also see this, and if so, is there a case for addressing this issue with PPG organisers themselves? (of course, I'm willing to do that myself; just asking for personal opinion...)

09-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
PPG state that voting should be based on the technical and artistic merits of each image, considering composition, exposure, subject matter, lighting, focus and other image aspects. All of these aspects should be pleasing for an image to be voted 'yes'. PPG also poses the questions for voters:

Can you see this image in a traditional photo gallery or printed publication?
Does this image elicit an emotional response?
Is this image original?
Does this image offer a personal perspective of the subject and display the unique vision of the photographer?
Would this photo stop you if it were hanging in a gallery?

If any of these questions had 'no' answers, it would make me think twice about accepting them into any 'gallery'.
09-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I'm a bit confused Ash. Are you saying your image was crap and their earlier decision was the best one? Or are you saying their standards have gone down?

j/k

(I couldn't resist)

Hysterical
09-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, to be honest, yes on both counts Blue (joking aside).
I for one want to see good work being posted among work of similar caliber, so as to lift up the reputation and overall look of a gallery. Having previously high standards reduced to much lower ones later on is an indictment on the work accepted in the gallery in the earlier stages.

09-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter

This is the 3rd thread I have seen related to this topic in about a month. You are the first one to provide subjective evidence even if at your own expense. However, your image is good relative to a lot of have seen of late.
09-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Must be, they let me in Don't get me wrong, i'm chuffed to bits to get in...

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=5497734&sub...=0&language=EN

Last edited by robbiec; 09-27-2010 at 01:51 PM.
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Their standards have always been iffy. I don't really get it, myself. I see some great stuff rejected and some very, very questionable stuff get in.

09-27-2010, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

PPG standards going down?

Absolutely!
09-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Absolutely!
An incredibly large +1

(see signature)
09-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I tried to browse the recent additions and PPG crashed Firefox. I guess the content is bad in more way than one.

Steve
09-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Aren't images peer reviewed? If so, isn't this inevitable?
I can't take the responsibility of judging, so I don't (I can do exposure, focus and a bit of composition, but not the subjective stuff). Maybe others just don't have the technical skills to judge effectively on the criteria listed above.
09-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I guess I look at it all this way..as this subject makes an appearance in this forum almost every month:
If the PPG standards are going downhill then it is up to us as voters to ensure that they do not....this means being especially diligent in the voting process and looking at the photos with more scrutiny than before. After all we as voters have a say in what gets accepted and what doesn't.
That is what I'm trying to do anyhow of late.

The other option is to remove oneself from the gallery if you do not agree with it.
Another idea....has anybody thought of writing the PPG powers that be this question and perhaps getting several signatures in almost a petition format? I wonder what would happen?? Perhaps get a standard format letter and pass it around for people to send off to the website??? Enough questions and I'm sure someone will get an answer sooner or later.
I've noticed stuff I have been submitting getting in at about 10 days since post these days which kind of makes me wonder myself if it is any good (??) but I am still happy to be involved with the gallery.
09-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Aren't images peer reviewed? If so, isn't this inevitable?
I can't take the responsibility of judging, so I don't (I can do exposure, focus and a bit of composition, but not the subjective stuff). Maybe others just don't have the technical skills to judge effectively on the criteria listed above.
Peer reviewed, yes.
Once you've got a PPG approved image, you've got voting rights.
But even if voters are 'yes'-happy, it ultimately comes down to the PPG crew to sort out the acceptances.

QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
I guess I look at it all this way..as this subject makes an appearance in this forum almost every month:
If the PPG standards are going downhill then it is up to us as voters to ensure that they do not....this means being especially diligent in the voting process and looking at the photos with more scrutiny than before. After all we as voters have a say in what gets accepted and what doesn't.
That is what I'm trying to do anyhow of late.

The other option is to remove oneself from the gallery if you do not agree with it.
Another idea....has anybody thought of writing the PPG powers that be this question and perhaps getting several signatures in almost a petition format? I wonder what would happen?? Perhaps get a standard format letter and pass it around for people to send off to the website??? Enough questions and I'm sure someone will get an answer sooner or later.
I've noticed stuff I have been submitting getting in at about 10 days since post these days which kind of makes me wonder myself if it is any good (??) but I am still happy to be involved with the gallery.
I must be missing the previous threads on the topic, so please excuse the repetition.

I take voting seriously and am personally harsh in my assessments. Images ought to be close to mind-blowing with technical adequacy before I consider them for a 'yes' vote. I may average 1 in 12 to 1 in 15 meeting this criteria in my mind.

I have written to PPG personally for this very issue - I'm still waiting for a response. Once I get one I'll be sure to provide feedback.

Last edited by Ash; 09-27-2010 at 09:52 PM.
09-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This is the 3rd thread I have seen related to this topic in about a month. You are the first one to provide subjective evidence even if at your own expense. However, your image is good relative to a lot of have seen of late.
Again, my apologies for the repetition. I see no alternative to try and reveal the issues in PPG acceptances, and there's no big deal with bringing down my own work (I critique my own work all the time, and this one was one of my very early captures before I invested in a tripod...)
09-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I too feel like the standards have dropped, when i vote my yes-no ratio is probably around 1:15