Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Focusing screen - jinfinance Vs Focusingscreen

I have been using focusing screen from focusingscreen.com for a while on one my k-x. I recently purchased another k-x and ordered a focusing screen for it - this time from jinfinance.

jinfinance screen appears to be good and didn't required any adjustment. However, jinfinance screen is certainly darker than the one from focusing screen (at least one stop darker). Anyone has similar experience? I was surprised because he seems to be making this screen from cutting genuine Pentax k1000 screen. One possible problem i could think of is that he mentioned to have a protective film on screen but somehow I am unable to notice it - may be that's a reason. Can someone share their experience?

Here is the purchase link.

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350223929984#ht_1438wt_1139

Update: see the response from jimfinance below. Again, as I mentioned, it's a nice screen and did not required any adjustment which was the case with the focusingscreen.com, however noticeably darker.

Last edited by yusuf; 04-05-2011 at 07:05 AM.
04-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #2

I have jinfinance screen on my K100D. The protective film is too hard to be taken off, so I just leave it there. Amazingly the focus is still 100% accurate. At normal in-door low light condition, it becomes darker after f5.6. At bright outside I can see no dark at f11.
04-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Seems like it no longer comes with the protective film. I wrote to jimfinance and here is the answer from him. He does confirm that his screen is not as bright as one from focusingscreen.com

Response from jimfinance:
QuoteQuote:
hi there,

thanks for the message... you're not doing anything wrong... we now sealed the screen in a plastic bag, thus there is no protective film wrapped...

Yes, indeed the screen is a little darker than the focusingscreen.com one... that I know... it's the mother screen itself...

our horizontal split screen will have the same brightness as 'focusingscreen.com', if not brighter...

best,

R.J.

Last edited by yusuf; 04-05-2011 at 07:03 AM.
04-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
It seems like it's no longer comes with the protective film. I wrote to him and here is the answer from jimfinance. He does confirm that his screen is not as bright as one from focusingscreen.com
I guess jinfinance and focusingscreen.com are friends. One in Shanghai, the other in Taipei.

04-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I used the screen form jinfinance and removed it for focusingscreen.com (K10D). I find this the best screen outside of Katzeye, which I use on my Nikon D80.

Katzeye is best but most expensive.

Just my opinion!
04-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
I used the screen form jinfinance and removed it for focusingscreen.com (K10D). I find this the best screen outside of Katzeye, which I use on my Nikon D80.

Katzeye is best but most expensive.

Just my opinion!
I heard a lot about Katzeye. Just could not justify the $200 value comparing to $30 jinfinance piece. Is that 6 or 5 times better? I don't think so.
04-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
I heard a lot about Katzeye. Just could not justify the $200 value comparing to $30 jinfinance piece. Is that 6 or 5 times better? I don't think so.
I agree, Katzeye is certainly overpriced, one can get a used K100D for that price. Is that so expensive to cut the screen?

04-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The relative brightness of the various screens is largely a function of the size of the micro-grain in the "frosted" surface. It's a compromise between brightness and fine resolution. Screens cut from material intended for some of the older cameras with generous VF's optimized for manual focus could afford to use finer grain, dimmer, screens.

For an extreme example, compare the micro-prism focusing ring on some screens with the clear frosted area.

H2
04-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree, Katzeye is certainly overpriced, one can get a used K100D for that price. Is that so expensive to cut the screen?
Do they have to start by finding a donor K100D?
04-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
I agree and that's why I pointed out in my response that I decided on the focusingscreen.com screen.

(I "wasted" money by buying the jinfinance screen first but I didn't like it because of blacking out above f5.6).

Too many people seemed to jump to the conclusion that I was recommending Katzeye whereas I was recommending focusingscreen.com.

However, if price is not the main objective Katzeye is king of the pack.
04-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

However, jinfinance screen is certainly darker than the one from focusing screen (at least one stop darker). Anyone has similar experience? I was surprised because he seems to be making this screen from cutting genuine Pentax k1000 screen.
The screen being darker and being a genuine K1000 screen is not a contradiction. On the contrary. FF screens were darker and this can actually help with the focusing.

The brightness level may not be that compatible with APS-C viewfinders.

P.S.: I agree about the KatzEye screens being heavily overpriced. Frankly, I don't understand how people can pay that kind of price but it seems to float their boat.
04-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The jinfinance screen I got was poorly made and the center prism was pressed into the screen crooked. I returned it but never received a replacement. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for. If you get a good one, as many have, then you lucked out. Mine was crap.
04-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The jinfinance screen I got was poorly made and the center prism was pressed into the screen crooked. I returned it but never received a replacement. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for. If you get a good one, as many have, then you lucked out. Mine was crap.
hmm, here is another response from him in continuation from previous response, so I doubt if any of the screen is made using genuine k1000 screen.

QuoteQuote:
Hi Yusuf,

Thanks for the message... sorry, I didn't list it on ebay...

but if you want, I can send you a paypal invoice for it, it'll be $29, s/h included... It's not made of K1000, but it's decent quality, and as bright as K1000

best,

R.J.
Now if it's brighter than the one I received and as bright as k1000 screen, that means the one I received is not made up using k1000 as advertised, may be my interpretation is wrong but that is what appears to be.
04-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The screen I got was nothing more than a piece of plexiglass with a prism pressed into it. The cockeyed prism, while annoying did provide an accurate focus. The surrounding matte screen was horrible and that was what made the screen unusable. Yes, I did remove the plastic from both sides. I doubt that these are K1000 screens. Where does he get them? He would spend more than the screen costs just salvaging them. At the time, mine cost $20. I not going to whine about it. Some others have good screens and there are some like myself who had bad ones. Shipping a screen back to China for warranty ain't happening. Mailing it back insured would have cost more than I paid to begin with.
04-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The diagonal / dual split images are darker around the outside, but the horizontal ones should be bright.