Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #1

Deliberate practice experiments?

I've heard about the "Shoot shoot shoot with Manual" golden rule, what else?
Are there quirky experiments/assignments/topics that you set for yourself in order to introduce new perspectives or surprises?

Last edited by ardentartichoke; 04-08-2011 at 12:46 PM.
04-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'm working on the shooting manual thing too, I've heard that it is also really useful to go out and use just one lens for everything, to learn it's strength and weaknesses.

I am interested to hear what other techniques people suggest as well. Thanks for asking.
04-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing that shooting with just one lens does is force you to see more creatively. If you contanstanly have the full range of zoom at your disposal you can get whatever you want with the turn of a ring. Limiting yourself to one or two primes during a shooting session will force you to perhaps see beyond just the "thing" you are shooting and work more on the overall shot composition. Sometimes on my jaunts into DC I'll take just one camera and maybe two of my manual primes. When I fill a card I come home. It can be a really fun challenge that helps to stretch your vision and creativity.
04-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Consider joining in on one of the Single In games.

Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

or just do it on your own. Shoot manual to learn about things like exposure. Use manual focus when you cannot auto focus and isolate the subject you want. If you don't shoot however, you'll learn nothing.

04-08-2011, 07:42 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

You could gargle for photographic exercises and follow suggestions. And/or you could give yourself assignments: tell stories, illustrate photo-comic strips, create propaganda, etc. And/or you could try mini-exercises:

* Only point the lens straight up, or straight down.
* Only shoot one color. Nothing else, just one color.
* Set focus to 1 meter. Only shoot at that distance.
* Add tubes; set focus to 10 cm; only shoot there.
* Only shoot chairs, or doors, or dwarves, or fires.
* Only shoot reflexions: mirrors, windows, ponds, etc.
* Add ND or IR filters; only shoot 30-second exposures.

* Shoot just one subject from every possible angle.
* Pick some paintings. Replicate them photographically.
* Shoot using a tripod on busy city streetcorners.
* Run into a bar. Take some shots. Run out. Repeat.
* Practice being a paparazzi, and stalk somebody.
* Do street photography while wearing a clown suit.
* Make a frame. Look through it. Become a camera.
04-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brilliant suggestions, RR! Generally my "practice" consists of obsessing about a subject and throwing everything at it (lenses lighting conditions, angles, pp options until...well... until I stop. Then I inflict the results on the WWW.
04-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was bored one day,and looking for a challenge. So I decided I would photograph dragonflies mid-air with my sigma 180mm f/3.5 only using manual focus.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-28-2015 at 12:36 AM.
04-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #8

and you got these keepers from how many attempts?

:-)
04-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by openyourap Quote
and you got these keepers from how many attempts?

:-)

Those are the best out of twelve frames, it was over 30 degrees in the aussie sun and I had no intention of getting my skin burned.

As I often tell people: don't be afraid to push your limits, you will be surprised at what you can really do if you put your mind to it. Though to be honest these dragonflies weren't as much of a challenge I thought they would be, I'll come back another day and add manual flash to the mix of complicating factors.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-09-2011 at 06:56 AM.
04-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have been having fun doing things with film that just shouldn't be done... like using tech pan for portraits... or pushing film 4+ stops...

It has been more arty for me... but fun... when I 'know' the image will not be technically good to do something still interesting...

This weekend I am playing around with hyperfocus and a light meter for landscapes... just little basic things that I don't do enough of...
04-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
I have been having fun doing things with film that just shouldn't be done... like using tech pan for portraits... or pushing film 4+ stops...

It has been more arty for me... but fun... when I 'know' the image will not be technically good to do something still interesting...
Ah, those are some exercises I should have mentioned: EXPERIMENT! Play with exposure! Under- or over-expose dramatically, then adjust in PP. Use inappropriate ISO and other settings -- play with every setting. Try extremes of contrast, sharpness, filters, etc. Whatever seems wrong, do it.

And experiment with time and motion too. Pan while shooting bursts, and stitch them together. Pan to follow moving subjects. Move yourself while framing and shooting a subject; or shoot from a moving car window, holding focus on the subject; do so with single shots, or bursts. Shoot with the shutter too slow or too fast. Etc.

IOW: Think outside the box. [/me regrets using necessary cliche]

Last edited by RioRico; 04-16-2011 at 11:27 AM.
04-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks RR, very helpful! and thanks to everyone who commented
04-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I pretty much always shoot in manual, but have come from a film background so it's more about personal choice and what I'm comfrortable with.

One exercise that can help is to just use a prime lens. Stick a 50mm on the camera and leave it on, leave all your other lenses at home. This can have the effect of making you look at the subject more and work out the best angle and best framing rather than getting stuck with zooming in and out, swapping lenses and trying all sorts of things.

Force yourself to only take images from below your usual eye level. Too many peole just stand there and shoot from the same height/angle, when just kneeling or sitting down can make a huge difference.

Even just spending one day walking around with only a prime lens, and telling yourself that you won't take any images standing upright with the camera at head height, can open up a lot of opportunities and get the brain thinking in a different way.
04-21-2011, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I have nailed the technique, I did try using flash but the wings needed movement to give the impression of flight. - these were manually focussed on the pentax K-7 with the sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX DG - ISO640 f/11 @ 1/800th-

04-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
That is pretty incredible. I wouldn't even think to attempt shots like those!