Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 11:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stealing camera lenses off tourists

QuoteQuote:
BBC's The Real Hustle demonstrate how easy it is to steal a camera lens off a SLR body

I can see copycats out there trying this. Just be alert if you're asked directions and a map is placed over your camera.

09-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Camera Thieves (The Real Hustle) - YouTube

I can see copycats out there trying this. Just be alert if you're asked directions and a map is placed over your camera.
Diabolical.
09-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

+1. I'll never be helpful again.
09-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good thing if they're used to the lens release button on Nikons or Canons, they'll be confused.

They'd be doubly confused by a DA40.

And I would notice 2lbs missing if they did that with my 70-200 2.8

09-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yet another reason to use Takumars. They take longer to unscrew!
09-27-2011, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
They'd be doubly confused by a DA40.
LMAO - they would definitely be confused with my K5, my lens release button has fallen off and I haven't sent it in for service yet

Besides that, don't think they would have the balls to try that on me once they have seen me...

----
09-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
LMAO - they would definitely be confused with my K5, my lens release button has fallen off and I haven't sent it in for service yet

Besides that, don't think they would have the balls to try that on me once they have seen me...

----
oooh... Pentax needs to use this video in their replies to K-5 button issues! Brilliant !

09-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
oooh... Pentax needs to use this video in their replies to K-5 button issues! Brilliant !
Right, they can claim it was a theft-proofing "design decision".
09-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Yet another reason to use Takumars. They take longer to unscrew!
totally agree!
09-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
+1. I'll never be helpful again.

LMAO Agreed!
09-27-2011, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote

----
see Pentax has you covered....that button falling off isn't a "defect" it's a security FEATURE!
09-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
Banned

with one of those standard lightweight 18-55mm kit lenses I can see how you might not notice a difference in weight around your neck with the sudden absence of the lens attached, but anything other than the kit lens, how would you not notice? with pancake lenses like the DA40 you probably wouldnt, but as mentioned above, it would be insanely difficult to pull that scam with such a lens. and why would anyone want to steal a kit lens. I know personally if I were out and my 43, 55 or 77mm was snatched like this I would instantly recognize a weight difference. of course if we all just took simple precautions such things wouldn’t happen. like say keeping one hand on your camera or something like that. if this were my Bessa, I know id notice instantly because the old leica summicron, as small as it is, weighs a ton. I think anyone with any common sense and ‘street smarts’ so to speak would never fall prey to such a thing. certainly not anyone who travels a lot. being aware of your surroundings and your belongings at all times is a simple and very helpful effective tool against theft. in other words, I think you’d have to be in most cases pretty dense to have this happen to you. I know what people might say, ‘wait till you are pick pocketed!’ but I'm smart enough to not let that happen, by keeping my wallet and phone if my front pocket with one hand in that pocket and my other hand on my camera when I’m going through and area where i could be suceptable. I avoided such a fate many times over in the philippines despite many friends and families advice to be careful. long story short, don’t be dense, be aware of whats going on around you.

Last edited by séamuis; 09-28-2011 at 06:59 AM.
09-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I carry the camera with my left hand under the lens - nobody will steal it without me knowing. Neck strap is only truly used while changing lenses.
09-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I had a big zoom attached to my camera, I'd totally notice it too. But let's say that you do notice, what are you going to do about it? For example in the video, there's a possibility that there were 3 people in on the scam (not sure about the girl, but let's say she was an accomplice). Would you confront them, hold them down, and call the authorities? What if the three of them split off in separate directions and you don't know which one actually hid the lens?
09-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
If I had a big zoom attached to my camera, I'd totally notice it too. But let's say that you do notice, what are you going to do about it? For example in the video, there's a possibility that there were 3 people in on the scam (not sure about the girl, but let's say she was an accomplice). Would you confront them, hold them down, and call the authorities? What if the three of them split off in separate directions and you don't know which one actually hid the lens?
if the lens is already in someone else’s possession, you might as well say its gone.