Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

P-TTL preflash

I have a Sigma EF-530DG Super flash with my K20D, and also used it with my K10D. I have never seen a preflash come from the flash unit even though I have it set to P-TTL mode. The only time that I have seen a preflash was when I had my camera set on the IR remote mode to take a self portrait picture.

I'm not complaining though, I am really pleased with my flash and find that the flash exposures are accurate nearly a 100% of the time.

03-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The preflash is really, really fast. It's very hard to perceive separately from the real flash. Probably when you did the IR remote, you used the 2-second timer, right? Then it preflashes at the beginning and then takes the picture two seconds later, making it very clear.
03-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, alright that makes sense now. Thanks! Is Pentax the only flash that uses the preflash method?
03-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, they all do now.

Matt says the preflash is hard to perceive, it may just be me, but I can definitely see it, and certain people definitely have time to start blinking before the second flash fires. Maybe they could lessen the delay between them to try and overcome this.

03-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
I don't know about other cameras, I have k200d, but I can see the preflash when I use 2sec timer: the pre-flash goes off when I press shutter release, the main flash goes off 2 sec later. When shooting normally, I can't see the gap between the two.
This is true for 2 flashes I have 360 and Metz 48.
03-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

Taking a slightly different viewpoint - my problem with the pre-flash on my K10D is that I cannot turn it off at my choosing. There are times I use an external slave flash with an optical trigger, and the pre-flash (from the onboard camera's flash) always triggers the slave before the shutter is opened. My contacts with Pentax confirm there is no option available to turn it off, so I bought a hot shoe adapter and a hot shoe flash unit to mount on the camera. This does NOT put out a pre-flash, and the slave flash works fine. Of course, the pre-flash has some useful benefits at times also, but not in my example.
03-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have read that manual aperture lenses will not work with P-TTL so the camera defaults to a single full power flash. So a workaround (if you have a lens that is manual or you can take off of A) is to use the lens to forces the camera to manual (non P-TTL) mode to trigger the slaves. Not perfect and you still have some problem but they to can be worked out.

DAZ

03-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by sinus007 Quote
Hi,
I don't know about other cameras, I have k200d, but I can see the preflash when I use 2sec timer: the pre-flash goes off when I press shutter release, the main flash goes off 2 sec later. When shooting normally, I can't see the gap between the two.
This is true for 2 flashes I have 360 and Metz 48.
When using the on board flash on my K200d, I can see the preflash in the viewfinder. It must be the pre-flash as the mirror should be up when the flash goes up. Hence if you see the flash through the viewfinder, it must be the pre-flash....

Tim
03-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When using an optical slave set the on board flash compensation to -2ev, this way it will be very weak. It works for me at least.