Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Second Hand Lenses in Hong Kong

(Please move to appropriate forum}
While there are hundreds of shops selling the latest in gear and accessories is there a place that sells second hand gear? YES there is and it is a lens buyers dream.

Go to Ap Liu Street in the Sham Shui Po district and there are two shops on or near the Sth West corner of Ap Liu Street and Shek Kip St intersection, ground floor of a large pinkish multi storey building. If you get as far as the haberdashery stores you have gone too far. It is worth looking around the other stores in the vicinity as there are lots of other bits and pieces available. Had the impression that these are the store fronts for all those tripod accessories, focusing rails, flash diffuers and caps etc that you see on ebay. great to hold them in the hand.

One shop has a spacious store with well lit display cabinets and everything priced. I was able to purchase an original stock hood for my Tokina ATX 840 for $250 Hong Kong Dollars. (All listed prices in HK dollars and I'll let you do the conversions) Interestingly there was a black bodied Spotmatic SPII for $1200 and a 6x7 MF camera for about the same price. Pentax KA lenses and Takumars also available and prices reasonable e.g. Takumar 24mm f3.5 for $2380. Other items were SMCA 50mm f1.4 $2180; Takumar 200mm F4 $1080, Takumar 135 3.5 $1280; KA 50mm F2 $1200; KA 120mm 2.8 $2000 (very tempting) K 50 !.8 $1380.

The other shop is just a large alcove inan electricla and white goods store with three sides lined with film camera bodies and lenses floor to ceiling of all vintages and makes including MF. Buried in there for example were two SMC Takumar 28mm 3.5s. I walked out with a pristine Viv Series 1 Komine made 70-210mm F2.8-4 for $950 which is a very reasonable $120 Australian and even less US. There were at least two other versions.

Stick to camera talk and the language is universal. No English spoken though. If you are collecting any kind of gear of any vintage do visit these stores. You can inspect before purchase but I didn't attempt to take any pics -

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 06-08-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: edits
06-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Whoa.

You have no idea how helpful this is to me. Going there soon, hopefully.
09-26-2010, 04:24 AM   #3

Here some more tips for people looking for 2nd hand pentax lenses (and cameras) in Hong Kong.

Champagne court in TST at the corner of Kimberley and Carnarvon Rd. MTR Tsim Sha Tsui exit B1. I saw some shops selling FA* lenses, 67 and 35mm pentax bodies, also a lot of K, M and A glass.

Sim city in MK, Shantung street. MTR Mong Kok exit E2, turn right two times. A lot of camera shops half of them carry pentax gear, most of it quite new DA limited style lenses, DA* lenses and digital pentax bodies.
10-16-2014, 02:53 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Hi there,

anyone been to the places above recently or new(er) shops for Pentax gear?
I'm going in January, so still have some time to look around and compare prices first.

I don't feel like running around in unknown places and get lost for nothing, although it is always a good opportunity to shoot pictures.