Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photographers vs Heirs of Dead Celebs...

First, a disclaimer... I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV... The following are my personal opinions only and should not be construed to be either legal or even sane advice...

I had heard that there were issues with photos of certain dead celebrities but I really didn't have any details.... The Nov/Dec issue of American Photo has an interesting article regarding several photographers who are pitted against the wife of the heir to Marilyn Monroe.

Seems when Marilyn died in 1962, her estate passed to her mentor, Lee Strasburg. Mr. Strasberg died in 1982 , leaving his estate (including Marilyn's estate) to his wife Anna Strasberg. She personally managed licensing images of Marilyn for several years before forming a company called Marilyn Monroe LLC in 1986. Mrs. Strasberg and MM LLC claimed the right to licensing fees for ANY image of Marilyn Monroe based on a 1985 law controlling "postmortem rights of publicity". Under this law, the photographer (or holder of the copyright) and/or his own heirs must pay a fee to MM LLC any time the photographer's image of Marilyn is sold for commercial use.

Several photographers and their heirs are contesting this claim due to the opinion that the 1986 law did not include prior celebrity deaths so Marilyn had no "postmortem rights of publicity" Earlier this year courts in California and New York sided with the photographers and agreed that Marilyn's estate did not include this condition.

MM LLC is naturally appealing and a bill is under consideration in CA to make the 1986 law apply to celebrities who died earlier (including Marilyn). This bill is expected to become law, thus granting to MM LLC the rights and revenue stream they desire.

------------------------------

Now, my problems with this whole situation.

1. Most, if not all of the photographers had/have model releases signed by Marilyn herself. Unless specific rights were reserved by the model (Marilyn herself in this case) all rights belong to the photographer.

2. MM LLC's actions infringe on the copyrights of the photographers and inhibit their (or their heirs) ability to profit from their property.

-------------------------------

My proposed solution if CA passes the new bill and enables the infringement on the photographer's rights...

Each photographer should remove every photo they have of Marilyn Monroe from commercial availability for the forseeable future. This would dry up the revenue stream to MM LLC.

But, you might say, shouldn't celebrities and their heirs be able to control use of their likenesses as they choose?

This is true to some extent, but when the model is in a public place they have forfited a certain amount of privacy or expectation of control over who takes their photo or how it is used. Also, as has already been stated, most of the photographers at the center of this situation have signed model releases from Marilyn. Sign a release and you have given up your most of your rights to control the image (except in certain libelous/slanderous cases).

---------------------------------

Of course, MM LLC is not the only company profitting this way off of other people's work, but they are, for the moment, the poster child. This "rule of law" or "interpretation of law" is a potential legal issue we might all have to face at some time. Particularly if you take an outstanding image of some pretty young model and 10 years later she becomes the next big thing and gets killed in a car accident. Her heirs could claim a piece of your pie every time you sell your photos (even though you have an iron-clad signed release).

Opinions anyone???

UPDATE

The online issue of American Photo reports that the law has been passed in CA and was signed by Governor S.. It goes into effect on 1 Jan 08...

Last edited by MRRiley; 10-26-2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added disclaimer and update
10-26-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the valuable information! I had heard about this, but didn't know all of the details...

BTW, I am involved in NANPA's Resource Relations Committee now, and one thing is ensuring photographer's rights to state and national parks. Obviously the context is different, but I'll be very curious to know if it's appealed, an outcome change, etc. Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Marc
10-31-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The California "Marilyn Monroe" aka "Dead Celebrities" bill will be challenged once it takes effect on 1 Jan 08. The estates of the photographers at the center of the action plan to attempt to prove the new law unconstitutional on several grounds.

Of course, MM LLC is also trying to get a similar bill drafted and passed in New York (since Marilyn may well have been a legal resident of NYC at the time of her death, meaning that the CA law would not apply to her estate).

See Capitol Weekly: Photographer's heirs plan legal challenge to Marilyn Monroe bill and
LawFuel - The Law News Network for more in depth info.
10-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

IF CA tries to pass it, it should go to court. Ex post facto laws, unless repealing previous laws and thus removing criminal status from those found guilty under that previous law, are generally considered against the rule of law and frowned upon.

At least by judges. Idiot legislators with their head up their butts is another matter.

10-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It has already passed in CA and goes into effect on 1 Jan 08... Also, this is purely CIVIL law, not CRIMINAL.
08-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photographers Win (sorry this is a little delayed)

In March 2008, US District Court, Central District of CA, Judge Margaret Morrow ruled that Marilyn Monroe, LLC (MMLLC) and CMG Worldwide, Inc (CMG) do not own the "rights of publicity" of or for Marilyn Monroe.

This cleared the way for the heirs of the photographers in the case to market their photos as they wish, without interference from MMLLC or CMG

A large part of the ruling was influenced by the fact that shortly after her death, Marilyn's heirs argued succesfully that she was a NY resident at the time of her death. They based these claims on several documents supporting it and the CA inheiritence tax people agreed. Judge Morrow interpreted this as a succesful effort to avoid high CA inheiritence taxes (not illegal in and of itself) but since the estate itself had her declared a New Yorker, they could not now claim she was a Californian.

In short they were told they couldn't have it both ways and were slapped down for the attempt. Good on ya Judge Morrow!

Purveyors of Marilyn Monroe Memorabilia Get Favorable Ruling

Marilyn Monroe at Legends Licensing!

Major Court Win for Photographers

The next step in this battle is assumed to be an attempt by MMLLC and CMG to have a posthumous "right to publicity" law passed in NY. They have failed before but that does not prevent them from trying again... and again and again...

And naturally this ruling doesn't help you if you have photos of an actress who died in 1965 who actually was a CA resident. You cannot sell those photos prior to the year 2036 without dealing with her heirs (if I am interpreting the latest law correctly).

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-08-2008 at 09:47 AM.
08-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

i think Mrs. Strasberg needs a good lay,

seriously, wtf. :ugh:

08-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gee, I wonder if Abe Lincoln's descendants get anything a $5 bill is shown in a commercial?
08-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Gee, I wonder if Abe Lincoln's descendants get anything a $5 bill is shown in a commercial?
Poor ole Abe has been dead a lot longer than 70 years, and he wasn't a California resident.

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-08-2008 at 09:50 AM.
08-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Poor ole Abe has been dead a lot longer than 70 years, and he wasn't a California resident.
Yes, but it had only been around for ten years...!
09-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
Forum Member

Update...

Just stumbled upon this on the front page of the local rag. Thought you might want to take a look....

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/BUSINESS/809040488

Apparently one of the firms involved in the case is located here in Indy.

Looks like a happy ending...
09-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
YEAH! Another round goes to the photographers.

However, CMG is still lobbying in NY for a bill recognizing posthumous "rights of publicity" and this bill makes California's look like tinker toys. Reportedly it grants those rights to the heirs "forever" and applies to any celebrity born in the last hundred years or more.

Will see if I can find out clearer details.