Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
eBay seller prodigital2000

(I am not sure if this is the right place for this sort of thing.)

There has been talk in several threads of eBay seller prodigital2000 from Stratford, Ontario, Canada, since they seem to offer the best prices on the entire internet. I thought it best to document my own experience with them in case this is of help.

I ordered a lens from them by winning an auction on Ebay. I emailed them about their delivery options since I did not want UPS delivery here in Ireland (large brokerage fees). They said they would declare a lower value but must stick with UPS. Fair enough. I asked about combining shipping which they'd do (as their auctions state).

So I bought a second lens with Buy It Now. When I went to pay for these two purchases using their custom system I could not combine the orders. Emails went unanswered so I called them. The freephone number did not work so I called on my own dime. A very long phone call later (filled with some friendly chat as I waited for the order to be calculated) I had paid for the items with my credit card. The conversion rate was higher than expected and the total seemed a bit inflated. I think now I did not get combined shipping. To this date I do not know since I have not been issued a receipt.

Then I got an automated eBay notice that I had not paid for the first lens. Later I got a message saying it had shipped... but only the one lens. More emails, also ignored. Subsequently I got another automated eBay notice that I had not paid for the second lens. At this point Rainer from another thread helpfully provided me with a name (Amy Ward) and new email address, which I wrote to. I am sure you can imagine I got no reply.

Today my order arrived as promised, and promptly too... with both lenses. After that I got an email saying the second lens had been shipped. (Guess so, as it's on my camera!)

So the prices at prodigital2000 are amazing but their communication is the worst I have ever encountered. I spent a lot of needless time worrying about whether items were or weren't paid for and were or weren't shipped. Not to mention that writing emails destined only for the great void is hardly the most fulfilling of exercises.

So be aware of this if you choose to save lots of money by shopping with them. Given that the 43mm limited is £400 from UK and $400 plus maybe another $100 duty and VAT from Canada, it is apparent that one can do rather well off the deal!

03-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
TKH
Veteran Member

I´m sorry for you that you had problems. I ordered last tuesday morning and the 43 arrived yesterday. Everything went smooth and perfect. The lense package was a little thin, because of no outer card box was used. Only the original box and a plastic wrapping. The lens was only declared for 200 Canadian $ and so the custom boys charged no fees to the moment. The lens is new and perfect.

The lens costs me around 300 Euro. The same lens is here in Germany at a price of 500 Euros. So a very good deal for me.

Best,
Rainer
03-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

It is funny you should post this up as I just recieved my AF-540FGZ from there.

I too found them via E-Bay and when the price was over $100 less than my local camera store (who wouldn't price match based on an e-bay auction) I pulled the trigger and ordered.

My Flash showed up NEXT DAY with FREE SHIPPING (I am in the same Country as them).

So far so good. Product is legit (at least it seems to be) and so far I am very pleased.

So much so I just contacted them to see what they could do on a Sigma Lens for me.

D.
03-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am glad things went well for you both. But it is indeed a truism that the test of a business relationship is when things don't go well. I hope my appraisal did not come off all negative -- I don't feel that way. But those who want a transparent transaction to be in their "comfort zone" should stick with people like Yung Cheng in our own marketplace.

Also, I should note that there are other inexpensive online retailers, a tad more money than prodigital2000, like Henry's.

03-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gadget_Guy Quote
So far so good. Product is legit (at least it seems to be) and so far I am very pleased.
Same here. I have purchased Huey Pro monitor calibrator and no problems, arrived in two days. (Shipped to Toronto, so that was indeed easy.)

However, I am not happy about their choice of UPS: unlike Canada Post that always has nearby drop off/pick up locations (local pharmacy usually), if UPS misses you three times the item goes back to their main warehouse which is waaaaaaay north in Toronto (like 30km from where I live) which is not quite convenient if you need to go to pick it up yourself.

I believe that even international shipments with Canada Post would work better.
03-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
Same here. I have purchased Huey Pro monitor calibrator and no problems, arrived in two days. (Shipped to Toronto, so that was indeed easy.)

However, I am not happy about their choice of UPS: unlike Canada Post that always has nearby drop off/pick up locations (local pharmacy usually), if UPS misses you three times the item goes back to their main warehouse which is waaaaaaay north in Toronto (like 30km from where I live) which is not quite convenient if you need to go to pick it up yourself.

I believe that even international shipments with Canada Post would work better.
I don't want to side-track this thread but would you mind very much creating a new thread discussing this monitor calibrator. I would love to get your feedback on it.

I have a three monitor setup where only two of the monitors are the same and want to know if it will do independant calibration.

D.
03-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPS Hell

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
UPS is better for the retailers, because they get convenient drop boxes in urban centres, easy-to-use software (I think USPS and CP may have caught up there) for metering and labels, decent rates, great package tracking and insurance that means something.

However UPS are pretty disparaging in their dealings with residential customers. I have seen this in Canada and now Ireland. The delivery dude today kept up a non-stop tirade about how he tried to deliver to me, had to correct a phone number on the label, expected me to answer the phone (I was out at a meeting) etc. And I'm not sure why, since I had not criticized him at all and got the package on the second attempt.

In fact the only reason I got the package is that I had closely watched the web tracking site and phoned UPS central when I saw a delivery "attempt" had been made. They then emailed the local dispatch centre with my mobile number. So all the dude had to do was call me and I came out to his truck in the rain. (I really wanted my new lenses!)

The onus is so totally on the customer to make the delivery system work. UPS couldn't give a flying Spock. Not once have they figured out how to get into my housing complex. It's really complicated -- you have to buzz me from the gate.

The local mail service will leave a note and force you to go to their depot. But UPS will not let you visit their depot (40 minutes away in Shannon) and even try to hide exactly where it is! The best possible way to get them into action is to threaten to pick up the parcel yourself -- I kid you not.

The local post system involves less chasing of angry men in brown vans. (Actually the van was red today.) And that is better for the soul.

03-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gadget_Guy Quote
I don't want to side-track this thread but would you mind very much creating a new thread discussing this monitor calibrator. I would love to get your feedback on it.
Not a bad idea. I will try to write up something after I calibrate my monitor at work and perhaps a few more to see how they will react. Apparently success depends on monitor quality but I have tried with not the best one first so I have nothing conclusive at this point, except that it is very hard to calibrate older LCDs with contrast ratios below 1:300. Something like 1:400 or over is needed for enough precision.
03-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
SouthShoreRob

I had one deal with them recently - K10 grip, extra battery, remote - and it was fantastic, smooth, and faster than fast.
03-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #10

I've bought lots of stuff from them. Quickest shipping and best prices around.
sorry you had a bad experience. but in my experience combining shipping for different ebay items can get tricky since most ebay sellers automate their process. sometimes what I do is have them ship it to my sister who lives in British Columbia for work and then she brings it back home just to avoid paying the full GST and PST (13% tax). She comes back home the 1st weekend of every month so I usually order the week of or prior so I don't wait long until my gear gets to me. Call me cheap if you will. lol
03-12-2008, 02:49 AM   #11
Inactive Account

What about its costs?
03-12-2008, 04:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I too had a good experience, but I'll admit the packaging was wanting. A $600 lens wrapped up in nothing but a padded envelope?!
03-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I too had a good experience, but I'll admit the packaging was wanting. A $600 lens wrapped up in nothing but a padded envelope?!
I had the same packaging even with two lenses in the envelope.
03-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
Inactive Account

YUP.. same here,

My AF-540 FGZ was just wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a poly bag.

My feeling is that if it arrives safe and sound then its all good.

With the prices he charges I don't blame his method of shipping.... and it will be insured if broken.

I just had him quote me a new Sigma Lens and it was $100 cheaper than Henry's

WOW

D.
03-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Oh yea... by the way.

The flash I got is AMAZING and I am super pleased with the whole transaction.

This guy will be my #1 source for all my stuff from now on.

I fell over when he quoted me just now on a grip for my K10D

D.