Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What a deal! ...not

Inspired by the lucky finds of many forum members here, I popped in to my local Goodwill today on the off chance that they had some old lenses. Just like all the times before, though, they didn't have much. Last time I went, all they had was a pile of film point-and-shoots. This time, there was only one: a Yashica with a zoom lens, an ugly lump of plastic from the 90's.

So, that part was a bust, but this was on the shelf right next to it for $10:

It's the original Bamboo graphics tablet, model MTE-450. Knowing that the cheapest Bamboo tablets are close to $100, I thought I'd scored big time. Even if it didn't work, I was willing to risk $10. I noticed that it was missing the pen, but you can get generic ones for a few bucks, right?

I got home, plugged it in and installed the drivers, and it works! At least, everything that doesn't use the pen works. So, I started looking for a pen. That's where everything fell apart.

There are no generic pens for Bamboo tablets. Worse, I read from several customer reviews that each Wacom tablet model has its own specific pen which does not work with any other model.

I managed to find this handy chart, which indicated that the pen I needed was model EP-150E. This model has been discontinued for so long that an exhaustive search only turned up two available for sale in the whole world: one in Britain, and one in Australia. Shipping would bring the cost of each to more than $50.

It would be cheaper to buy the whole package - pen, tablet, manual, etc. - on eBay. They usually sell for ~$30. Still not bad, but that renders my Goodwill purchase redundant.

It's so frustrating to me. Here I have a perfectly functional device that's as good as junk because one accessory isn't available anymore. I know, it was only $10, but it's the principle. I have it, and it works! But it's useless.

06-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster

I just re-examined the chart, and realized that the "Bamboo Fun" pen (EP-155E) is compatible. Some eBay sellers in Korea still have it for about $30 including shipping. It's not any cheaper than buying a whole new tablet, but I would hate to throw away the working one I already have.
06-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an Intuos 5 so I guess I'd better guard that pen. Mine is touch capable and will work with my fingers but you don't have the fine control you have with a pen. I still prefer my mouse for everyday work but the tablet rocks when using the various brushes in Photoshop.

Your experience reminds me of a bargain turntable I bought I bought at a garage sale. I still have a lot of records (remember them?) but the turntable needs a needle. I can't buy one but can buy a complete cartridge for 3 times the price I paid for the turntable. Then there are those printers that the ink costs more the printer............
06-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have an Intuos 5 so I guess I'd better guard that pen.
You bet! In five years, you won't be able to find a replacement anywhere, at all. Which size do you have? My Bamboo is 148x92 mm, which isn't much smaller than the "small" Intuos. I'm wondering if $30 is worth it. I'm looking at it mainly for the navigation capability.

Your experience reminds me of a bargain turntable I bought I bought at a garage sale. I still have a lot of records (remember them?) but the turntable needs a needle. I can't buy one but can buy a complete cartridge for 3 times the price I paid for the turntable. Then there are those printers that the ink costs more the printer...........
Yeah, it's a little crazy when you need a piece that costs several times more than the thing it goes on. I got really upset when it started to look like I wouldn't be able to get one at all.

06-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Perhaps now you understand: To those of us whose idea of 'New' involves 'At the thrift store,' 'proprietary' is a very, very rude word.

Also:

QuoteQuote:
Last time I went, all they had was a pile of film point-and-shoots. This time, there was only one: a Yashica with a zoom lens, an ugly lump of plastic from the 90's.
It's of little interest to most of us still shooting film these days, but some of those particular 'ugly lumps of plastic' made pretty good photos.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-09-2013 at 04:29 PM.
06-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where I do volunteer work, we get many donations of computer-related equipment. We recently received a Wacom Intuos2 6X8 Tablet complete with pen. They were most grateful for me to take it off their hands. So, I did!
Sometimes you get lucky!
06-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ugh, that sucks. My dad once found an Intuous 3 for me at GW (for $3.99, I think) and it was missing the pen as well. Replacements sell for $30-40.

If you kept the tags on it and the receipt, you may be able to return it for store credit within 10 days of purchase (at least that is the policy that the GWs here have).

06-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Perhaps now you understand: To those of us whose idea of 'New' involves 'At the thrift store,' 'proprietary' is a very, very rude word.

Also:

It's of little interest to most of us still shooting film these days, but some of those particular 'ugly lumps of plastic' made pretty good photos.
"Proprietary" is always a dirty word when combined with its greatest enemy: obsolescence.

I have no doubt that some of those ugly plastic things can take good pictures, but they're of even less interest to those of us who grew up with digital.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Where I do volunteer work, we get many donations of computer-related equipment. We recently received a Wacom Intuos2 6X8 Tablet complete with pen. They were most grateful for me to take it off their hands. So, I did!
Sometimes you get lucky!
Yes, looks like you were lucky that day. Unfortunately, today was not my day to get lucky.

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Ugh, that sucks. My dad once found an Intuous 3 for me at GW (for $3.99, I think) and it was missing the pen as well. Replacements sell for $30-40.

If you kept the tags on it and the receipt, you may be able to return it for store credit within 10 days of purchase (at least that is the policy that the GWs here have).
Even worse! You had to spend 10x the tablet's price on a mere accessory!

I think I'll go ahead and order a pen from Korea. That brings my total investment to $40. Still not a great deal, but it's not that much money. I'll see how much I like it, and maybe invest in a newer, bigger model later.
06-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had no idea Wacom tablets were so picky about which stylus touches them...I usually pass on tech at Goodwill for reasons like that.

Now let's have a chat about that typewriter--err, keyboard in the background
06-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't think we have Goodwill in Australia but the Salvation Army and St Vincents (Catholic) stores are reluctant to accept electrical items as they seem to be worried about OH&S (HSE in the UK).
06-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
You bet! In five years, you won't be able to find a replacement anywhere, at all. Which size do you have? My Bamboo is 148x92 mm, which isn't much smaller than the "small" Intuos. I'm wondering if $30 is worth it. I'm looking at it mainly for the navigation capability.

Yeah, it's a little crazy when you need a piece that costs several times more than the thing it goes on. I got really upset when it started to look like I wouldn't be able to get one at all.
I have the small Intuos 5. The touch sensitive area is 157.5 x 98..4 mm (6.2 x 3.9 in). The actual physical size is 12 1/2 x 8 1/4 inches ( I don't have a metric tape to measure this )which is considerably larger than my Retina iPad in it's Otter Box. I haven't seen the larger sizes but this thing takes up more space than I would like on my desk. I paid $169 for the tablet at Staples. My opinion on the product is mixed and I find it a pain to use for everyday tasks. The ideal photo editing tool would be a product like the Retina iPad that was capable of precision pen work. The Wacom Cintiq is close but only has a 1920 x 1080 screen.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of tool are on the horizon for photographers in the next few years. I suspect that much of what we are now using will be obsolete anyhow so I'm not too terribly concerned about my pen.
06-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I had no idea Wacom tablets were so picky about which stylus touches them...I usually pass on tech at Goodwill for reasons like that.
I would normally pass, too, but I was under the impression that a Bamboo was a somewhat recent product. It was, but not recent enough. No wonder somebody donated it. There's no way to make money on it without the pen (unless you come across a fool like me).

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Now let's have a chat about that typewriter--err, keyboard in the background
Not for sale! That's from a wax engraving machine at work. The machine was scrapped, but the keyboard stayed behind for some reason. They let me take it off their hands without much fuss. 1986 tech, baby!

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I don't think we have Goodwill in Australia but the Salvation Army and St Vincents (Catholic) stores are reluctant to accept electrical items as they seem to be worried about OH&S (HSE in the UK).
It's hard to get rid of this technology stuff, and some of it's downright hazardous. Goodwill says they don't accept items that don't meet current safety standards, but I think they rely on the donator to determine that.

I have the small Intuos 5. The touch sensitive area is 157.5 x 98..4 mm (6.2 x 3.9 in). The actual physical size is 12 1/2 x 8 1/4 inches ( I don't have a metric tape to measure this )which is considerably larger than my Retina iPad in it's Otter Box. I haven't seen the larger sizes but this thing takes up more space than I would like on my desk. I paid $169 for the tablet at Staples. My opinion on the product is mixed and I find it a pain to use for everyday tasks. The ideal photo editing tool would be a product like the Retina iPad that was capable of precision pen work. The Wacom Cintiq is close but only has a 1920 x 1080 screen.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of tool are on the horizon for photographers in the next few years. I suspect that much of what we are now using will be obsolete anyhow so I'm not too terribly concerned about my pen.
Thanks for the feedback. The dimensions I gave were also of the working area. The whole unit isn't terribly big, as you can see from the picture, but the manual indicates that it's supposed to replace the mouse.

I'm always interested in alternative input devices. I have a 3D mouse (google "3DConnexion") at work, and now I can't live without one for CAD work. Once you get used to it, it really is as they say: like holding the part in your hand.

I've learned that touch screens really don't work for desktop computers, regardless of what Microsoft thinks. I bought a touchscreen years ago, and now it sits in a closet, unused. Try holding your arm up to a desktop screen for more than five minutes. These tablets seem like the ideal compromise. You're "in touch" with what's on the screen, but you don't actually have to hold your arm up to the screen.