Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital Expo Melbourne Sept 2013 — first hand experience

Went to see the Digital Expo down under.

Which for me was a bit of an alien landscape, so to speak: I was, perhaps, the only man in the showroom during that time with a film camera in hands.

In short, Canon was everywhere. I mean everywhere. Even the Canon photography award, Canon wedding photo awards,all the speakers presenting their stories taken with Canon's cameras, etc. Then Nikon, had an absolutely huge shrine, and one looong wall filled with cameras of theirs of all shapes and sizes. Guests are invited to try all gear, no one asks unpleasant questions, but rather assist all the time. They even ordered coffees for guests.

Olympus had, perhaps, the cutest and well designed shrine, and absolutely best looking models. I couldn't resist, but took a few photographs of a lady in traditional Japanese dress who was so eager to pose.

Fujifilm was big and bold, showcased all of their cameras, print machines, lenses, papers, whatnot. Tried X-Pro1. Very pleasant experience overall, unusual models, very helpful staff.

Ricoh? Pentax? I thought they were not there. Then, went through all the corners again, to find them by chance; they had one of the smallest and hardest to find corners, with a smallish wall stacked up with colourful Qs and K50s. Saw the new HD limiteds — under the glass, of course. No cameras ready for display and tryout like in all other booths, no. You need to ask the staff to come and unlock cameras behind the glass, and then after some 45 seconds, they already get sick and start asking" Is that all?". Although no one else is waiting.

Then the other member of the Ricoh/Pentax crew I never saw before, I heard him talking about "who needs an FF?, everyone does an FF today", and similar flapdoodle while holding a $8000 645D in hands and explaining how great it is and that everyone should get one of these instead, and shoot panoramas. Those few minutes I waited patiently to try the GR behind the glass (only one GR camera in the entire show, buried beneath a pile of brochures, so no one could see it is even there) was the most numbing experience in the whole show. I still don't understand .. why? Is this by design? When dealing with them online, Ricoh / Pentax Australia are rather prompt. My guess is they may be good wholesalers, but not experienced to deal with end consumers face to face.

After that, went to Leica's booth, which was beautiful and large (10x larger than Ricoh's, and they had a small café too), and enjoyed, uninterrupted, S2 and the new M240. Saw newly announced C-type camera (black/purple combo looks beautiful and very pocketable), Paul Smith's edition of the X2, etc.

In short: thumbs up, great effort, lots of good energy, all companies — except for Ricoh / Pentax — know how to put up a good show for customers.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-12-2013 at 10:27 PM.
09-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wot, no photos?
09-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Wot, no photos?
Wait till I develop a film ...
09-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think there actually is a Ricoh Imaging Australia. There isn't a link on the Global site for Oz.

I think there is only a Distributor in Australia (C. R. Kennedy). Staffers in the booth might have been contract, and given thier relative inattention, low bidder for the task.

09-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure Ricoh Imaging has a corporate presence in Australia - it is just a Distributor - C.R. Kennedy?
09-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ricoh has a big corporate presence in Australia as an office equipment supplier, but that end of the business never used to sell cameras - they relied on a distributor who used to also distribute Tasco etc. With the Pentax/Ricoh merger, Ricoh camera distribution switched to CRK.

CRK are a very good Pentax distributor, IMHO. They get the gear into a lot of stores in Australia, they have state offices, good repair facilities etc. They just don't seem to do trade shows very well. Never have.

Since CRK also distribute Sigma, Hasselblad, Metz and a raft of other big brands, I'd be interested to see if the presence of those brands at Digital Expo Melbourne was any better than the presence of Ricoh or Pentax.
09-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not sure Ricoh Imaging has a corporate presence in Australia - it is just a Distributor - C.R. Kennedy?
While CRK has it's own website, they also have www.pentax.com.au which comes up as Pentax Australa.

09-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
While CRK has it's own website, they also have www.pentax.com.au which comes up as Pentax Australa.
I see that website doesn't mention Ricoh anywhere. No logo, no URL - nothing. I think all the direct websites are some regional version of Digital Cameras by RICOH Imaging - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR , which is clearly the US website.

Regardless, though I'm certainly not there, I wouldn't necessarily ascribe that performance directly to Ricoh / Pentax.
09-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Since CRK also distribute Sigma, Hasselblad, Metz and a raft of other big brands, I'd be interested to see if the presence of those brands at Digital Expo Melbourne was any better than the presence of Ricoh or Pentax.
Much better. Their Sigma booth was very good.
09-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I see that website doesn't mention Ricoh anywhere. No logo, no URL - nothing. I think all the direct websites are some regional version of Digital Cameras by RICOH Imaging - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR , which is clearly the US website.

Regardless, though I'm certainly not there, I wouldn't necessarily ascribe that performance directly to Ricoh / Pentax.
Few links:

— Front page | Ricoh Photographic Australia
— Pentax webstore also has Ricoh cameras listed and ready to buy

CR Kennedy also represents Hasselbad, Sigma, Tamrac, Hoya. However, Sigma booth looked much better. Hasselblad, similar to Rich / Pentax in size, but more cameras ready to use, and better floor position too.

I suspect (although I can't ascertain) that CR Kennedy responds to desires. For example, if Sigma Japan wants a presence of such and such a size, and have this or that on the display, they then do it. Considering that they had more Hassies to try, than GRs under the glass (just one!) or K5II (I saw only two, under the glass of course) I suspect that may be the case.

The notion that Olympus had dozens of cameras ready to try, new Pen 5s, OMDs, EM-1s, etc., with flashes, with all of their best lenses, EVFs, a complete studio set with models, etc. ... and that one can't even see a K5II but under the locked glass buried under brochures... is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-13-2013 at 06:38 PM.
09-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
At the bottom of that page:

QuoteQuote:
© Copyright Ricoh Photographics distributed by C.R. Kennedy & Company Pty. Ltd
09-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that regardless of who did what, the original point was - the effort that was presented was worthless. Actually, damaging - as it left a very negative impression of the brand, especially when compared to just about all of the others. There is no excuse for something like this. A more positive approach would have been not to have gone, as opposed to what was done. If you are not going to do a good job, then don't do anything. There is absolutely no excuse to go to a trade show and make a presentation that is damaging.

The bottom line is - Its Ricoh's - they bought it, and its theirs - regardless.

09-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #13

Whoever ran that Ricoh booth must not be in anyway related to Ricoh. Don't mind too much the insignificant little facts that they used Ricoh's official logo and seemed to represent Ricoh. Ricoh is just more vulnerable to these darn lowest bidders, who for some reason only prey on Ricoh and not any other brand. I say blame the lowest bidders!