Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DIY "crackbabies" (lens hacks -- similar to lensbaby product)

Hi,

I'm not a newbie to Pentax - but am very much so to this forum. I recently spent a day making some DIY toy lenses from a variety of "found" materials. I put together a how-to booklet in .pdf format and thought I'd share it here. Aside from seeing the "lensbaby" product in ebay -- I hadn't searched online for other DIY lenses - so I'm sure there will be things here that other people have already seen/done.

Cheers,
SF1

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Improvised DSLR Lenses.pdf (261.1 KB, 4180 views)

Last edited by SF1; 10-01-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: .pdf uploaded as previous web link has expired
08-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting and my frugal side is intrigued...
08-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Red

I been tempted to try the "plunger baby"

The Plunger Baby - Zenza Bronica 75mm lens + toilet plunger = DIY tilt-shift lens on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The link for the "crackbabies" was unavailable when I clicked on it, so it might be the same thing.
08-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The link to the pdf appears to be broken.

08-07-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

looks like a fun project! your link to the "crackbabies" pdf has been down, it finally worked this morning. I enjoyed seeing the sample images, perhaps you could post some here on the forum.
08-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

link is broken
08-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
SF1

Original Poster
"Crackbabies" update --- new website for DIY instructions

Hi,

Thanks for the interest --- the daily download limit for Geocities is very low so I have also put the instructions on this page:

Making the "Crack Baby"

I've recently done a very very easy and cheap DIY ringflash for macro. Will post that soon.

Cheers!

08-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SF1 Quote
Hi,

Thanks for the interest --- the daily download limit for Geocities is very low so I have also put the instructions on this page:

Making the "Crack Baby"

I've recently done a very very easy and cheap DIY ringflash for macro. Will post that soon.

Cheers!
cool,
i've done a lot of DIY projects including a 24 LED ringlight, adapters to reverse the lens with the ability to use filter or ringlight.. also a grip i use all the time for macro + off camera flash.

if you send the file to me i'll host it online for a while for you.. no charge, free.
we only use MAYBE 10% of our bandwith. email is
roysphoto at Gmail.com
i can recieve upto 20megs in an email.
08-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SF1 Quote
Hi,

Making the "Crack Baby"
It looks very intriguing. But the transfer speeds from that server reminded me of my old dial-up....from 1997.
05-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
SF1

Original Poster
some new images from 'hacked' lens

These are from the lens hacked out of the Pentax zoom point and shoot. Haven't played with it for a while - so took it out this afternoon. Very weird to squeeze for focus. Wish the shot of the new moss on the bottom left was a bit sharper... blame my shaky hands (should have increased the sensitivity to reduce shutter speed...) This is not a tripod friendly lens as you have to squeeze it to maintain focus. Taken on K-m DSLR in AV mode.
Attached Images

05-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool shots. May have to try this to go along with my Lens Baby.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST # 18 WINNER in P&S forum. Enter #19. Any brand camera. Enter now!