Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Abes of Maine

HI

First off if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I was wondering what are peoples opinions of Abes? Are they reptuble? They have the best price for the K200D at $555.95 with free shipping. I was just wondering if it;s too good to be true? I even checked out Wal Mart and they had the same setup for $700. Yikes that is a price difference! I did some research online and several people had great things to say about them. So what are your opinions? Please help a girl out.

Thanks

Karen

01-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Please check Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping They seem to have mixed ratings with some people very happy and some not so happy. There are others like B&H and Adorama that have a much better reputation.
01-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never used them, but you can read the customer reviews on ResellerRatings.com and decide for yourself. My opinion? - doesn't look good.

Abe's of Maine - abesofmaine.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

B&H and Adorama have both been top notch for me.
01-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My experience with them has been great. I bought both of my battery grips and my DA*50-135 from them. One day free delivery (I'm in NY) and zero sales tax. I would definitely deal with them again when the time comes. I shop them and Buydig/Beach and buy from the seller with the better price.

01-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My experience with them is also very good. I bought my K100DS Kit from them. I bought via their Amazon store.
01-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's funny. With an e-tailer or retailer, if things go as expected they're great. If there's an issue, they are evil. Reseller Ratings is fine, a decent resource that I often use. However, one must sign-up or sign-on to leave a review. I can't remember which, but I know I've never left a rating on RR. So, one has to be fairly motivated to leave a rating.

Abe's whom I've bought from in the past, un-eventfully I might add has a 6 month RR of 7.89. For reference, aside from B&H and Adorama... KEH, who I've never heard bad things about has a 6 month RR of 6.07 . Yikes.

I'd buy again from Abe's, but probably not a 50" Plasma getting shipped "freight" . I'd buy from KEH, although I haven't done so as of yet but I certainly wouldn't take a 6 month rating of 6 lightly, nor would I take it as gospel.

What it comes down to is if it goes well, you'll be happy and if it doesn't you won't. It's up to you what level of "risk" wether real or perceived you're willing to take to save a substantial amount of $$$$.

Best Regards,
Mike
01-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Damn Brit

If you want to buy with a bit more confidence you can get it for $579 with kit lens and free shipping from Willoughbys via Amazon

01-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Karen:

I have bought from them, and so have friends of mine. They were excellent, even with returns. Best of luck.
01-31-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the past, Abe's suffered from a fairly mixed reputation. This has supposedly changed. My main issue is that while they might be owned by some guy named Abraham, they are not located in Maine and never have been.

Steve
02-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I bought my Panasonic TZ5 from them back in December and my experience was fine. I did think it was little ballsy of them however to call me a few hours after the online transaction and try to up-sell me on extras such as an extended warranty, another battery., extra SD cards, etc. I am not sure how I felt about this. Was it ballsy or was it a savvy and aggressive sales department. I cant fault them for being aggressive and as long as they weren't being jerky about it, which they weren't, I was ok with it it in the long run.

As far as their seller ratings being mixed or "not so good", I think a 7.85 out of 10 is pretty good.

Jason