Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Challenge Insult?

dpreview has a Pentax challenge that starts in a couple of days with one entry per person 250 total. If you read the challenge it's kind of a poke in the eye to us Pentax users. Go and read.
Pentax (Samsung) DSLR Only: Challenges: Digital Photography Review

07-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

are you insulted? --> no ---> who cares?
|
|
---> yes ----> prove them wrong!

wiat wut?
07-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't see what is the insult.
07-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't see the insult either. More of a "put up or shut up" challenge and that's more than fair IMO.

07-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha! Ha!

I am not insulted at all!

I know that it can be done, but I am not the man

Seriously though...the purpose of the challenge is to either reinforce or dispel the stereotype. (Check out the other challenges: http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Series.aspx?ID=81)

Perhaps we could talk Scottnorwo

or MRRiley

or jbrowning

into submitting...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-27-2009 at 03:02 PM.
07-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha!

I am not insulted at all!

I know that it can be done, but I am not the man

Seriously though...the purpose of the challenge is to either reinforce or dispel the stereotype. (Check out the other challenges: The Soul Of Things Series: Challenges: Digital Photography Review)

Perhaps we could talk Scottnorwo

or MRRiley

into submitting...

Steve
Thanks for the vote of confidence Steve... btw, the MotoGP pic you posted is jbrowning's.... But consider the gauntlet throw down and picked back up. Guess I will have to dust off my very seldom used dpreview userid.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-27-2009 at 02:16 PM.
07-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I hope in this forum there are skilled photographers to enter the "challenge"

07-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Thanks for the vote of confidence Steve... btw, the MotoGP pic you posted is jbrowning's.... But consider the gauntlet throw down and picked back up. Guess I will have to dust off my very seldom used dpreview userid.

Mike
Gosh, I thought I pulled that pic off your thread! I thought it was strange that there was no watermark. I will rectify the error!

Steve
07-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

We admit all the time ourselves that while Pentax cameras are capable of doing that sort of shooting that folks who want a camera primarily for that should consider looking elsewhere.

I thought their statement of the case was fair and in line with what we say ourselves.
07-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
We admit all the time ourselves that while Pentax cameras are capable of doing that sort of shooting that folks who want a camera primarily for that should consider looking elsewhere.

I thought their statement of the case was fair and in line with what we say ourselves.
Mike, Its sorta like keeping criticism in the family. Its one thing if I tell my brother that our sister is a dog, but quite another if we hear someone outside the family say the same thing.

They have a "panning challenge" open too that I'm gonna enter as well...

Mike
07-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's kinda like the relationship my little brother and I had when we were younger. We could beat the crap out of each other and that was fine (we're brothers). But let another person lay a hand on him and their ass was mine.

First of all thank you for thinking my pictures are good enough to be in the challenge. Second of all do I need to sign up somewhere before this starts or just be ready to post my photo when the challenge opens up?

Thanks again.
Jim Browning
07-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It says about being disqualified for no EXIF. How do you know if this data is on your photo or not? The only way I have seen is when I posted to flickr and it was there, but if I posted it somewhere other than that, I wouldn't know how to tell.
07-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
It says about being disqualified for no EXIF. How do you know if this data is on your photo or not? The only way I have seen is when I posted to flickr and it was there, but if I posted it somewhere other than that, I wouldn't know how to tell.
Normally if I upload a picture to Photobucket the EXIF is dropped. But if I upload it straight to my website then the EXIF is still intact. If you open up your picture using the Pentax software it shows the EXIF info at the bottom of the screen. Or at least on mine it does. I hope this helps.

Jim
07-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Near as I can tell, the challenges require a direct upload of an intact image to dpreview. This may be their way of insuring that they have the EXIF. I didn't see a way to submit a link to an existing online photo (which woulda been my preference).

Mike
07-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Near as I can tell, the challenges require a direct upload of an intact image to dpreview. This may be their way of insuring that they have the EXIF. I didn't see a way to submit a link to an existing online photo (which woulda been my preference).

Mike
Thanks Mike, so if I'm thinking correctly. If the EXIF is intact on my harddrive when I upload straight to their site it should still be intact. No worries about Photobucket like stuff (dumping the EXIF).

Thanks
Jim